JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, I am coming around to my first CHL renewal Friday. I am really surprised at the effort the Sheriff's office makes to remind me--USPS letter and email with full set of needed documents and information.

That merits a plus mark from me. :)

I am not saying anything negative against the department and they might very well be pro 2nd Amendment but concealed handgun licenses and renewals make a great deal of money for the departments. Just for info.

When I got the CHL I had seen comment that Marion County drags it out, perhaps meaning they are not big on CHL. It took well over 50 days (not 45) before I received the CHL.

Dunno, maybe they are coming up against a budget right now and you could be right?

Good to know mines coming up in June and with my work schedule its almost impossible to make any kind of appointment that time of year. (I drive dump truck for a paving company so If I'm not in the truck its a lot of money finding a replacement.

When I got the CHL I had seen comment that Marion County drags it out, perhaps meaning they are not big on CHL. It took well over 50 days (not 45) before I received the CHL.

Dunno, maybe they are coming up against a budget right now and you could be right?
it takes 45 business days. qhen day 50 hit for me i was like what the hell... i contacted a county worker... he said 45 business days

Interesting. Yamhill county (right next door to Marion) does NOTHING to notify
that your permit is coming up for renewal. Very pro 2A department, renewals
are quick and easy----guess they figure if we are qualified to carry a pistol we
can keep track of when the permit expires without their help?:)

I can't say enough good things about MCSO's CHL division. My CHL renewal was at the proverbial "11th-hour" on my CHL expiry, and I got caught in I-5 traffic up near PDX-Tigard leaving a jobsite. I was NOT going to make my appointment in time, so I called them on the cell-phone telling my situation that I'd be at least 30-45 minute late, maybe less if I "push it".

The lady was awesome, she said don't speed to get there, and that she'd work me in when I arrived. I checked in, sat at the lady's desk, she ran my info on the computer, I smiled for the camera, she printed out my new CHL right there, and I was done. It was a surprisingly anti-climactic experience.

Last Edited:
Interesting. Yamhill county (right next door to Marion) does NOTHING to notify
that your permit is coming up for renewal. Very pro 2A department, renewals
are quick and easy----guess they figure if we are qualified to carry a pistol we
can keep track of when the permit expires without their help?:)
Yeah. That's what I'd expect so the courtesy of making sure I would not forget was a surprise. As mentioned above, it is money for the county so maybe Marion is keener to collect a buck than Yamhill. :rolleyes:

it takes 45 business days. qhen day 50 hit for me i was like what the hell... i contacted a county worker... he said 45 business days
Unless someone can point me to the ORS that states where x number of days means "x number of business days", my guess is that this is their interpretation. The law does not specify what type of days, it only says "within 45 days of the application".

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.292

Unless someone can point me to the ORS that states where x number of days means "x number of business days", my guess is that this is their interpretation. The law does not specify what type of days, it only says "within 45 days of the application".

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.292
maybe it was a coincidence then, that I, my brother, dad,wife, and father in law all got ours 45 business days after our appt at the sheriffs office. im sure there is no ORS on how many specific days. i was just told by two people (lady at my appt and my friend who works for the county) 45 days and yes, they showed up exactly 45 business days later. take it how you want... i was just answering a question for the OP to the best of my knowledge.

Did they renew it?

Brutus Out

LOL... No.

Washington CPL's are good for 5-yrs, whereas Oregon CHL's are good for 4-yrs. When I was in the mindset to get the CHL renewed, I thought I'd get the CPL done up too since I was working in Vacouver... hence showing up a year early, LOL.

Being a non-resident CPL holder, it is wise to renew about 45-90 days prior to the expiration (no earlier than 90 days is allowed) because the processing of resident CPL's are given priority over non-resident CPL's and you don't want to have a lapse in "coverage" while awaiting the renewed CPL in the mail. There is no "temporary extension", you either have a valid CPL in hand, or you don't.

Yamhill county is great, I took the day off work to go in and renew mine only to find out I was actually too early. The deputy wound up going to a great deal of effort to find a work-around so that I wouldnt have to take another day off work, he took my picture and my check and just post-dated the application so that it renewed within the required 30 days. I felt like I was being treated like a valued customer rather than the victim of an uncaring bureacracy. Obviously a pro-2nd Amendment philosophy at YCSO.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top