JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If the can gets approved before you move, I believe its find, once you move then you just notify ATF NFA division of the new address. If you apply now, it will be likely that it will be approved before you move.

I don't think a trust speeds things up at all. All of my stamp collection has been done in a trust. Of all of them there has been three returns for error correction which adds another two to three weeks to the process time. Once was because the name of the trust was entered wrong on the form 4. The name as to be exactly as it is on the trust. For instance if the name is "Smith Family Trust" it has to be entered exactly as that. If its entered as "The Smith Family Trust" it will be kicked out. That is what happened to me. Also I am sure that you are aware of the changes in the trust rules that will take effect in June of this year. So get your things together and get it all submitted well before June so that it is process before that time.

If you are filing a form 1 you can still eform them. As far as I know Form 4s are not available on eforms now. I have a form 4 that I will be mailing in at the end of the month for a new can that is being transferred to my dealer on a form 3. Once it goes pending to him I can submit my form 4. Mine is also on a trust.

This is not legal advice, but I have a friend that this happened to. He moved after about 6 months into the waiting process. It took 9 months for my friends item to be approved. He kept his car/license/mailing address going to his old place and didn't "set up residency" in the new state. As soon as it was approved he picked up the item and made his residency move.

My friend was told by the dealer that if he changed residency the item would have to be transferred to the new dealer in his state and start the timeline over. I don't know if the dealer was right or not.

Make sure you let us know what the dealer says.

I believe the concept of "trusts are faster" is related to the E-file process versus mailed in paper forms.

So far, it has been my experience with a trust that Form-4 (paper file) and Form-1 (e-file) have taken ~ the same amount of time. I'm going to do another e-file next month.

#1 Form-4: 6 months (2013)
#2 Form-4: 4 months (2014)
#3 Form-4: 6 months (2014/15)
#4 Form-4: Pending (started @ 3/14)

#1 Form-1: 4 months (2015 via e-file)

IMO, the trust helps with e-file and ensures that your asset(s) will be passed on according to the trust. To my knowledge, it does not expedite your way through the process.

Sorry guys. My comment wasn't based on personal experience using a trust and e-file. I went with a trust for chain of custody and inheritance reasons but haven't bought any NFA items for ~2 years (what's wrong with that picture) and e-file was either down or didn't exist when I was on my buying spree.

I think this gets added to the LGS "myth" category. I've heard counter guys repeat this line in almost every LGS I've visited that sells NFA items. It's almost a knee-jerk reaction to spew out "trusts are faster" no matter what the NFA subject happens to be.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top