JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i am building a killer mosin nagant for hunting elk this year, just for fun. and my buudies are heckling me for spending 45 bucks on some 180 grain softpoiints from big 5 tonight. They said we have a 1000 rounds between us of surplus ammo and that i am crazy. I remember there being a law against using full metal jacket for hunting. am i crazy?

Much like the often repeated 5 round magazine limit I believe there is no such restriction in Washington. I am not saying it is a good idea, but it is not in the regulations.

I've known people who have cut the jacket off at the tip and used those for hunting.

I've also known one of those rifles to become unserviceable because the jacket stayed in the barrel while the lead flew. Guess what happened on the second shot?

So yeah, don't do that.

I've known people who have cut the jacket off at the tip and used those for hunting.

I've also known one of those rifles to become unserviceable because the jacket stayed in the barrel while the lead flew. Guess what happened on the second shot?

So yeah, don't do that.

You may not want to do that. Page 30 of the hunting regulations.

"Military or full-metal jacket bullets in original or altered form prohibited."

Why would anyone want to simply ventilate their target game with FMJ, even "altered"? If I got a shot off at game, I'd want to have ALL the odds in MY favour...... the PSP, hollow point, typical hunting load are designated "hunting" for good reason. Sure, a bit more dear, but at the price of all the other items involved, failing to spend another quid on good ammunition designed to do the job to hand is foolish. Pence wise, pound foolish. Drill that elk with a FMJ round, he will walk a long ways to either die out of your range, or be shot by another hunter who reaps YOUR reward. Spend the money and use the correct ammunition. Hunting regs aside, your deep freeze and your table will be glad.

You may not want to do that. Page 30 of the hunting regulations.

"Military or full-metal jacket bullets in original or altered form prohibited."

Exactly. Plus the chance of having the jacket bugger your bore, and possibly bulge the barrel just isn't worth it. I've seen the results before. Besides, paying $20 for 20 when you might use 5 a season...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top