JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If there is a way to tell Boxer from Berdan; unless it's Marked, I've never seen it. But, I'm always willing to learn.

I was graciously-gifted some S. African .308 ammo and tested two boxes that were identically marked; one box was Boxer primed, the other was.....Berdan.

Free and functional; good enough.

:cool:

I was graciously-gifted some S. African .308 ammo and tested two boxes that were identically marked; one box was Boxer primed, the other was.....Berdan.

Free and functional; good enough.

:cool:
I have to admit that I've actually looked at my share of .308/7.62x51 Ammunition and have yet to figure out a way to tell.

I have to admit that I've actually looked at my share of .308/7.62x51 Ammunition and have yet to figure out a way to tell.

The real concern for me (and others I suppose) is the primer's corrosiveness; so if I find one Berdan case in the heap....the bore is cleaned thoroughly, otherwise I run a patch at the range and fly a fouling round before headn home.

Nice reloadable brass is a +

;)

Have purchased surplus Malaysian 5.56, Korean .308, Korean Garand Ammo, Czech8 mm, and Indian .303 over the years. Have had no problems with any of it. The .303 was corrosive but it didn't matter because I clean my rifles after shooting them.

My shipment showed up a few days ago. Haven't opened it. Just holding on to it for awhile. I never really needed surplus prices until I got into 308. So far most 223 and pistol calibers I can match off the shelf, for brass at least.

I have never bought ammo online or in bulk before. Was eyeballing some Hertinberger, Malaysian and PMC. It's all apparently 1980s era. Looking online it seems ok but also hit and miss. I don't want to end up with 100s rounds of foul smelling duds.

I've used the Hert and PMC with no issues through the FN's and the HK's. Great for rock bustin at the quarry and ringin the steel, but not serious target stuff.

+2 on the Hirtenberger and PPU. I've run many rounds of the Hirtenberger through my M1A with very good accuracy for M80. I have also run the PPU 168 grain hpbt match with outstanding results for .75 per bang. I love to buy in bulk on-line from sgammo.com. These guys are super fast and efficient with some really great offerings and price points, especially right now while ammo is plentiful.

I have never bought ammo online or in bulk before. Was eyeballing some Hertinberger, Malaysian and PMC. It's all apparently 1980s era. Looking online it seems ok but also hit and miss. I don't want to end up with 100s rounds of foul smelling duds.

The malaysian is good. I put a can through my bm59 (never fired till then) most of the ammo was just fine. I did have 4 failures to extract( the extractor ripped brass off of the rim) it also had problems chambering like it was sticky. the casings were by no means shiny im gunna wipe down the next cartridges i shoot to see if it makes a difference maybe i just need the bore to be broken in a bit or polished, could also be a mag seating issue with the surplus mags on a new rifle. either way worth the money completely for how cheap it is. Mine did smell funny if you went out of your way to smell it, although the smell mostly went away when i tossed the wooden crate it came in.

Thanks. I love PMC in 5.56 but it is a fair bit more. The Malaysian caught my eye. There are 300 rd cans I was going to try because l didn't want to commit to much on iffy ammo.
This may be posted way too late BUT
I have gotten the Malaysian 5.56 packs in the past and it stores and works just fine. It isnt cheaply made and mis-stored garbage. Just sayin, YMMV.

The malaysian is good. I put a can through my bm59 (never fired till then) most of the ammo was just fine. I did have 4 failures to extract( the extractor ripped brass off of the rim) it also had problems chambering like it was sticky. the casings were by no means shiny im gunna wipe down the next cartridges i shoot to see if it makes a difference maybe i just need the bore to be broken in a bit or polished, could also be a mag seating issue with the surplus mags on a new rifle. either way worth the money completely for how cheap it is. Mine did smell funny if you went out of your way to smell it, although the smell mostly went away when i tossed the wooden crate it came in.
Update to this, i ran a few magazines through my JRA m14 not a single problem at all so the ammo is good i think my bm59 with the surplus mags are just picky

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top