JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had great results with a product called Kroil, which is made by Kano Labs.
No need to use steel wool, just soak overnight and lightly rub off the dissolved rust with a soft cloth.

I've had great results with a product called Kroil, which is made by Kano Labs.
No need to use steel wool, just soak overnight and lightly rub off the dissolved rust with a soft cloth.
and it smells good!!!

ive only found one product better IMO than kroil.

ac delco heat valve lubricant

it eats rust and it burns your skin if its on there too long

Ugh.

Guys, guys, guys..

Josh, spray with oil. Soak/spray a folded up paper towel and put it over the spot... use a rubber band if necessary. Let it sit, checking occasionally to ensure the oil is still there - paper towel on top, gun on bottom.. wipe down rust spot and it turns pink, oil and repeat. Slow and steady wins the dance.

You need to treat the metal not the rust. I would say be damned careful with steel wool because stragglers rust super fast if not cleaned up. Let the metal remove the rust from the bottom side.

Your gun metal absorbs oil (not like a sponge, but the micro-pores, lines etc will pocket the oil). @acp and I were out one day and a gun of his was being shot. As it warmed up the FrogLube or whatever he used started seeping out of the barrel and made it wet. When the gun started cooling the oil soaked back up in the metal. Was cool to see it happen.

Carry pistols as well should be re-lubed on occasion because left alone they dry up.

$.02

As an addendum:
I used this exact method in my 1952 Remington 760 Gamemaster in .300 Savage and Remington model 33 to stop rusting without using any abrasives.

As an alternative you can heat up the gun metal a little then lube. When it cools it will pull oil into it.

Last Edited:
Use Bronze Wool rather than steel wool. Steel wool will remove bluing whereas bronze won't. It has longer strands that don't break up the way steel does. Both Lowes and Home Depot carry it.

And no power tools. And an ergonomic work bench.

Do not do this !
2E22521700000578-3305612-image-a-231_1446742944898.jpg

An oil that breaks down rust and a Scotch brite pad may help. Naval Jelly ?

Here's another way to remove rust from steel parts.
I used this method to remove the rust from a .380 acp pistol that was left in the bilge of a fishing boat.

Once the rust is removed do folks do anything beyond keeping it oiled? On blued steel, does cold blue help prevent future rust?
For guns that I shoot occasionally I just keep a thin layer of regular gun oil (everyone has their favorite) on it. If I'm not going to shoot the gun for a few months, I'll use Eezox. It's amazing at preventing rust. If I dunk a gun in the lake by accident, I'll use WD40 to drive all of the moisture out and then follow up with CLP to remove most of the WD40. It's not the best lubricant and it can leave a gunk buildup if you use it a lot, but it beats everything at getting water out of tight spaces.

Ugh.

Guys, guys, guys..

Josh, spray with oil. Soak/spray a folded up paper towel and put it over the spot... use a rubber band if necessary. Let it sit, checking occasionally to ensure the oil is still there - paper towel on top, gun on bottom.. wipe down rust spot and it turns pink, oil and repeat. Slow and steady wins the dance.

You need to treat the metal not the rust. I would say be damned careful with steel wool because stragglers rust super fast if not cleaned up. Let the metal remove the rust from the bottom side.

Your gun metal absorbs oil (not like a sponge, but the micro-pores, lines etc will pocket the oil). @acp and I were out one day and a gun of his was being shot. As it warmed up the FrogLube or whatever he used started seeping out of the barrel and made it wet. When the gun started cooling the oil soaked back up in the metal. Was cool to see it happen.

Carry pistols as well should be re-lubed on occasion because left alone they dry up.

$.02

As an addendum:
I used this exact method in my 1952 Remington 760 Gamemaster in .300 Savage and Remington model 33 to stop rusting without using any abrasives.

As an alternative you can heat up the gun metal a little then lube. When it cools it will pull oil into it.
It Is seal 1 clp paste. I use it on all my gun parts. for corrosion resistance, hoppes oil for friction
surfaces

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads