JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was out on Monday and had good luck on the north end of Long Beach, around Oyster City beach. The surf was a bit of a challange with the super tides associated with the big moon. I picked up 8 nice fish in about 90 minutes. It was a blast.

Oh them Redtails,, Man I do love em! Two weeks ago just south of Tillamook we had an outstanding day with both limits filled with some pretty decent fish. We used both sandshrimp and nightcrawlers. The nightcrawlers had been laced with garlic powder the night before, it works,, dont ask me why. Anyone ever try using a bobber much in the same way you would use a slip bobber for salmon? If the wave sets and conditions are good, it can be a blast.

you know, I never caught any surf perch. But I used to really enjoy fishing for lings and sea bass off the jetties and rocks. Did pretty good, too. Just had to wait for a nice calm day. As a coast local, I'd say the ideal conditions for fishing off the jetty are when it's too flat to surf. Otherwise, you're risking yor life.

I used to have pretty good success fishing the jetty at Garibaldi, but as I get older, I find it a little too risky on that jetty since I'm not quite as agile as I once was. I have had no success at all on the jetty at Nehalem which is considerably easier to navigate, and have never tried any of the others. I have no experience at all with surf fishing, but it's appeal is mostly because there are no slippery rocks to fall off. I'm sure once I figure out when and where to catch 'em, I'll be hooked.

@ orygunguy, It doesn't get much easier. A 2 or 3 ounce pyramid weight tied to the end of your line, two loops 'Oregon allows the use of three hooks' tied above that with a #2 bait hold, snelled el cheapO pre tied hook clove hitched to those loops. Bait them with a half a sandshrimp or half a nightcrawler then cast out as far as you can into an incoming tide 'the last two hours are the best' and slowly reel back in until you find them. Look for them to be in areas around small streams entering the ocean,, and it doesnt take much of one, or around depressions that allow them to come in closer. The water doesnt need to be deep, 3 feet or deeper will do it. They hit fairly solid, but you have to be on top of the hook set as not to loose your bait. Once hooked your just as liable to hook two of them at once as they tend to school together. If you start hitting them and then loose the bite, move up or down the shore until you find the school again. I've had luck using a small amount of red yarn above the bait to tangle their teeth just long enough for my tired old arm to react to the bite, but its not needed. Try them any way you like Crappie fillets,, I guarantee you will be as hooked as the perch. By the way the limit in Oregon is 15. Em, Em good! Hope this helps, good luck!!:s0155:

Thanks much for the info. I've got a house in Rockaway that renters are moving out of in the middle of April and I'm in hopes that I'll get to do some fishing while I'm getting it ready to sell or rent again. I've seen people fishing the beach at Twin Rocks and I'm guessing perch are what they're catching. Might be a good place to start? If they're anything close to as good as the rockfish I've caught off the jetty, my mouth'll be watering for sure.

yes, just out of curiosity I checked the NOAA data for a surf report.... 12 ft@11seconds, 35mph NW wind, with 6' wind waves= Victory at Sea conditions.

as you know, sometimes it gets absolutely flat and glassy in the summer. A buddy and I took our poles on stand-up paddle boards and fished some offshore rocks once. The wind kicked up and things deteriorated, but I think it could be an excellent way of fishing on the right day. A kayak, or even maybe a canoe if the rocks were close enough to shore... spots in close enough the power boats never fish them, but without shore access, creating a rockfish paradise.

I just picked up a surf pole / reel today. Okuma SST and Okuma STX 65 loaded with maxi 20# green... and a small bag of 2oz pyramids too. I've never fished the surf before and after reading this thread and looking around a bit, are going to give it a try next weekend/end of month. Will probably go around Nehalem / Manzanita.

I hope to be going down sometime the week of the 24th. With nothing to go on as far as where, I thought I'd try the ocean side of the south Nehalem bay jetty. I'll post if I have any success, or even if I don't.

I recently had a friend tell me that he had a couple pretty good days at Cape Disappointment. Someplace called Beard's Hollow. I personally don't plan to venture up that far, but it may be worth a try.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top