JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you own body armor?

• No

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • Yes - Vest for just me

Votes: 22 16.8%
  • Yes - Vest for me and my wife/family

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • No, but I want to

Votes: 44 33.6%

• Total voters
Reactions
Sure you have guns and ammo, but how is your defense? I find it ridiculous that guys talk about huge stores of ammo, guns, etc, but don't have body armor.

So my question is, do you own body armor, a concealable vest, ceramic plates, helmet, whatever?

If I am in a position where I need body armor...............I am in the wrong place.

Since this is posted in the survival section. Body armor doesn't have much use, since in SHTF, simply getting wounded to the leg or arm will be deadly.

ANY gunfight will probably result in death, even if you win.

In an economic collapse, you still have to go places, you still need do be around. It is not always an all out war zone. Whether you're going to work to make what you can, or just in your garden collecting the fruits of your labor, I'd rather have one than not have one, surviving a wound or not. With that same line of thinking, why have a first-aid kit at all? :rolleyes:

If I am in a position where I need body armor...............I am in the wrong place.

Since this is posted in the survival section. Body armor doesn't have much use, since in SHTF, simply getting wounded to the leg or arm will be deadly.

ANY gunfight will probably result in death, even if you win.

The dude who wrote about surviving the collapse in Argentina recommended body armor. If there is a huge amount of crime, and you are still trying to go to work, go to the store, etc, you want to have some protection.

Look at it this way, if you were living in the murder capital of the world (I believe it's currently Juarez, Mexico), wouldn't you want to wear body armor in case you found yourself in the middle of a gun fight (even if you weren't a shooter)?

In an economic collapse, you still have to go places, you still need do be around. It is not always an all out war zone. Whether you're going to work to make what you can, or just in your garden collecting the fruits of your labor, I'd rather have one than not have one, surviving a wound or not. With that same line of thinking, why have a first-aid kit at all? :rolleyes:

Depends.
A FAK may be useless also. Band-aids won't stop gangrene.

What about an armored car? That would protect the arms and legs also.

You said:
"I find it ridiculous that guys talk about huge stores of ammo, guns, etc, but don't have body armor."

Would't it be better to shed the heavy armor to be faster getting away from flying bullets?
If I am shooting at someone wearing a plate carrier, I'm going for the head,arms,neck, etc.

My huge stores of ammo and guns is for currency, not combat.

The dude who wrote about surviving the collapse in Argentina recommended body armor. If there is a huge amount of crime, and you are still trying to go to work, go to the store, etc, you want to have some protection.

Look at it this way, if you were living in the murder capital of the world (I believe it's currently Juarez, Mexico), wouldn't you want to wear body armor in case you found yourself in the middle of a gun fight (even if you weren't a shooter)?

Armored Car.

I won't get into a tit-for-tat argument about head shots, mobility and armored cars. But there is a place for a vest, clearly, because our law-enforcement wear it.

I'm also not arguing about the value of ammo, but having an entire offense and no defense appears like a lack of planning or forethought.

If you're in a position where you need a gun, are you in the wrong place too? That argument just doesn't hold any merit on a gun forum.

I can hunt food with body armor?

Are guns only good for killing men?..............Try not to spin the topic.

No comment on being lighter to get away faster?

Is the $500 you spend on Level III plates the best use of money when buying survival supplies?

I won't get into a tit-for-tat argument about head shots, mobility and armored cars. But there is a place for a vest, clearly, because our law-enforcement wear it.

I'm also not arguing about the value of ammo, but having an entire offense and no defense appears like a lack of planning or forethought.

Do you want discussion on why people do not have body armor, or are you wanting a bunch of guys just nodding their head in agreement..........

Do you want discussion on why people do not have body armor, or are you wanting a bunch of guys just nodding their head in agreement..........

Fine, let's talk about it.

Mobility.
A Promax concealable Gold Flex vest adds 3-5 lbs of weight and 5.6mm in thickness. Arms, legs, head, neck, fully mobile. So depending on how freakin' fat you are, mobility is a non-issue.
If you're too cheap and want to run some ceramic plates, you're going to suffer side coverage, a weight disadvantage and conceal ability. However, our own soliders are running plates and full gear, so you're either not in shape or you bought the wrong stuff for your needs.
If we are talking bomb squad suits, then we are not talking about the same thing.

Head shots
That's a chance you take being anywhere. There is no argument because there is always a chance to take a head shot, however an arm or leg shot is much more survivable. A vest is to protect your vital organs. Life does not offer guarantees, which leads me to...

Armored car
Where did this come from? Do you want a magic bubble too?

It depends on "what" we mean by SHTF. I think the scenario outlined by FerFAL in Argentina is something worth preparing for...in that situation where you still have to go around in your day to day life, but stuff is just more violent...warrants body armor. It's on my list.

In a Mad Max, I'd probably decide carrying 3-5 more pounds of food or tools on my back would be more helpful than body armor.

I'm willing to bet many of us at least one firearm that doesn't fit a specific SHTF need...that gun could be sold to fund body armor...which could then prove very useful in the right scenario.

In a perfect world, if I had unlimited resources to devote to preps then a vest would probably be a nice thing to have.

Since I dont have unlimited resources, I dont have a vest.

Food, water, fuel and weapons/ammo take a higher priority because there is a far greater probablilty that I will wind up needing those items before I need a vest.

Fine, let's talk about it.

Armored car
Where did this come from? Do you want a magic bubble too?

Why so hostile?
You asked the forum................. I gave an opinion.

You said it is "Ridiculous" that we may not own body armor.
One could say it is "ridiculous" to not own an armored car.

Anyone that is REEEEEELY interested in a survival kit owns an Armored Car..........It is "Ridiculous to NOT own one.

If you don't agree, then you are wrong.

This is how you are sounding.

Ammo is a good thing. I like to keep lots in inventory for various reasons. IF someone feels or has the extra money to invest in a vest then so be it. Like coctailer stated "If I am in a position where I need body armor...............I am in the wrong place." I have no desire to engage in an fire fight but if it comes down to it i and my cohorts throw everything we have their way, if i dont make it then so be it. Too many calibers can punch through vests so i am not worried about it. If i had vasts amount of money laying around i would probably buy one. but i dont so i'll have to evenly invest my money in multiple areas instead of wasting money on a fancy tuxedo vest for piece of mind.

The first question is "what are your immediate needs?". For myself, When preparing for disaster I have determined that it is much more likely that I'll have to endure an extended period of "blackout" due to a variety of reasons. Therefore, my priority is storable food and water treatment. Body armor might be handy but it ranks pretty low on my must have list at the moment.

We all prioritize and hopefully we'll never need to use our preps for their intended purpose. I'd certainly prefer that my happy little life continues as is but as has already been stated, funds are limited and I feel that the money someone chooses to spend on body armor is better spent on others things at the moment for me and my family.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews