JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you own body armor?

• No

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • Yes - Vest for just me

Votes: 22 16.8%
  • Yes - Vest for me and my wife/family

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • No, but I want to

Votes: 44 33.6%

• Total voters
So we are emphatically clear, what I said was "I find it ridiculous that guys talk about huge stores of ammo, guns, etc, but don't have body armor."
Meaning: Focusing all on offense and neglecting defense is ridiculous when it comes to your life.

Never said, used or implied that anyone is stupid. You just conjured that term up yourself. Buying food and ammo is the exact opposite of being stupid. Both are necessary and you entirely missed the purpose of the post, failed to read it, or simply made your own large and very false assumptions to make yourself sound better.

If you want to keep straying to other topics as armored cars and buying food, neither of which were mentioned before you typed them, then go make your own thread in the Off Topic Section.

I'd go for an ad hominem here but I won't.

You don't have to get mad. I'm not good at internet arguments. (That's Trlsmn) I'm better conveying my point over brews.

You must be assuming I plan on staying in populated areas.

You don't need body armor if you are bugging out 100 miles into the wilderness far from cities.
You money as better spent on other items.

I'm sorry if I'm not doing the mindless head nod.

You don't have to get mad. I'm not good at internet arguments. (That's Trlsmn) I'm better conveying my point over brews.

You must be assuming I plan on staying in populated areas.

You don't need body armor if you are bugging out 100 miles into the wilderness far from cities.
You money as better spent on other items.

I'm sorry if I'm not doing the mindless head nod.

I don't bring emotion into an argument, but I didn't assume anything about your location now or where it will be. But the mindless head nod remark is just a backhanded dig. At least you're correct about the mindless part.

So we are emphatically clear, what I said was "I find it ridiculous that guys talk about huge stores of ammo, guns, etc, but don't have body armor."
Meaning: Focusing all on offense and neglecting defense is ridiculous when it comes to your life.

Just having lots of ammo doesn't mean I'm out on the offensive looking for a fight. Getting in an firefight is the last thing i would want sense it would drastically reduce my chances of survival. If you see the need and have the means to purchase body armor then so be it. For myself i find my money better invested in other places.

I don't bring emotion into an argument, but I didn't assume anything about your location now or where it will be. But the mindless head nod remark is just a backhanded dig. At least you're correct about the mindless part.

And you aren't doing digs on me???
You need to allow discussion............on a discussion forum. Even if everyone doesn't agree with you.

So, to those of you who've purchased body armor already... did you go with type II or III? And if you went with II for do you consider a trauma plate a must have?

I am with cocktailer on this one. Its coming across that the OP thinks only means for defense are tangible things. While they may help, in most instances for most people with limited funds, the $$ would be better spent on other preps first as the probability of needing a vest and helmet is waaaay lower than needing to eat. IIts really coming across as rambo-esc, that everyone NEEDS to have armor as a part of their plan. Perhaps some clarification early on would have helped a bit to keep the discussion moving in a more positive manner instead of swirling the drain of I'm right and you're an idiot.

People do focus in on only the parts of preparedness that they enjoy. Guns are fun. Its neat to look at ammo can upon ammo can and think about the how much hurt you can bring to the zombie hoards. Canning 50lbs of applesauce, not as much fun. But its still relevant. Defense is often overlooked, that is somewhat of a given. Frankly I don't think I would want to sit on the interweb and discuss my strategies for defense or any of my other prep stuff for that matter. Which is probably why you don't see a ton of people talking about these things. OPSEC and camouflage (as in what others perceive, not the bdu kind) is probably 90x more valuable than a vest ever will be. A vest would make a nice addition to anyones preps, but there is waaaay more to it than just shooting and getting shot at. Like Coctailer said I am more about being able to feed my wife and kids than trying to shoot it up. Find your strengths, assess your weaknesses and short comings then make changes as needed. You can never be fully prepared.

Sure you have guns and ammo, but how is your defense? I find it ridiculous that guys talk about huge stores of ammo, guns, etc, but don't have body armor.

So my question is, do you own body armor, a concealable vest, ceramic plates, helmet, whatever?

I don't think body armor is a bad idea . I'm not going to run out and get any but i thinks its a good idea.

The best survival tip is drive safely.

I've tried on some armor at the show. I like the idea of getting a vest with plates. I've been offered really good deals, but always passed. Mainly due to the weight. I started sweating just thinking about walking around with all the metal hanging off me. I don't see a use for a pistol only vest, because most likely in a shtf situation, they'll be shooting at you with .223 and up.

I've tried on some armor at the show. I like the idea of getting a vest with plates. I've been offered really good deals, but always passed. Mainly due to the weight. I started sweating just thinking about walking around with all the metal hanging off me. I don't see a use for a pistol only vest, because most likely in a shtf situation, they'll be shooting at you with .223 and up.

Very few people here seem to understand that most rifle rounds will go straight through almost all armor.

My priorities are food, water filtration/treatment, weapons, ammo, first aid. Once I have 5 - 10K of ammo per caliber I own and 12 months supply of food/water per family member, I'd give slight consideration to armor.

In a SHTF scenario, my plan is to bug out with my family to the hills until things settle a bit. Guns, ammo, food, water treatment are all better barter items than body armor.

Urban dwellers who chose to remain in a worst-case scenario/SHTF situation may find use for body armor. I don't plan on being anywhere near where strife may occur.

In short, while under consideration, body armor is very low on my priority list.

Very few people here seem to understand that most rifle rounds will go straight through almost all armor.

Very few people seam to understand that-

*Not everyone has a rifle
*You don't need to be hit directly from a bullet to be put out of the fight (i.e. shrapnel)
*Depending on the grain, calliber of the bullet, distance from the shooter and type of bullet some armor can still stop some rifle rounds

I won't sit here and say that there are no disadvantages to armor...in fact, I think that there should be many other things above the priority (i.e. food, water, shelter) before armor should be considered. commercially bought armor is expensive....armor that can stop rifle bullets are heavy and even MORE expensive. Also, I see people with body armor act more like they're bullet proof when they wear a vest and take more risks than if they weren't.

Nevertheless, armor is a combat multiplier. Whether it is for yourself, your vehicle, or your home...I will never knock anyone for putting in some type of protection.

Police and security alike are taught one basic principle when choosing which type of body armor to wear...the answer is simple.

Wear a vest that will at least stop the bullet fired from your own gun.

That's years of wisdom speaking right there. Why should we not also apply this type of thinking? Because it's too heavy? Because it's too expensive?

Once my cache is in the ground, the next thing on my list is trying to make my own body armor.

<broken link removed>

I'm going to experiment with a few other things not mentioned in the .pdf I linked above to see how well they may work...if anything I waisted a few bullets and a few dollars worth to see if I could save myself hundreds and possibly a life of a loved one or a friend by doing this.

77 cadillac coupe de ville and my IIIA vest with ceramic plates, and I have 2 extra IIIA vest for the roommate and wife. But only 1 gas mask lol

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews