JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i would like to own a suppressed .22, but i am wondering about cost, and the wole "ownership" of the suppressor... so
what are a few decent modles currently availble that render themselfs well to suppresion?
what is the total cost of a suppressor, including all taxes and fee's?
and who among us who owns a suppressed weapon has had any issues with anything related to it??? do you have problems with people at the range with LEO.. or just anything?
and you knew it had to be coming, who has a suppressed weapon that i might take a look at and or fire along side of my .22's for a comparison?
thanks to all, feel free to pm, and i am happy to provide subsonic ammo for any testing.
Doug

Rifle or pistol? Pistol wise, the Ruger 22/45 can be had in a factory threaded version and is a popular choice. Walther P22 is also popular and is easy to thread but is a throw away gun IMO.

Street price on a top shelf .22 suppressor is around $400, plus $200 tax stamp. Dealer shouldn't charge any transfer fee if you buy it from him, if you buy from an out of state dealer you'll have to pay your dealer a transfer fee anywhere from $30 to $100 depending on dealer.
If you buy as an individual you'll have to pay for fingerprints and possibly CLEO sign off, also $5 for passport photos. If you use a trust you can skip all that.
I've not had any issues with a suppressor or the guns, never had any hassles.
If you use a 4.5" barrel or shorter on a pistol then regular bulk pack and standard velocity ammo will stay subsonic, no need to pay extra.

.22 suppressors are a great way to start in the suppressor world, the nice thing about detachable .22lr cans is that they will work with a variety of CHEAP hosts. My cheapest host (also the quietest) is a used Savage Mark II (that was already threaded) for $185. Bolt guns are spooky quiet. My favorite pistol is my Browning Buckmark, though I liked all of them for different reasons. I liked my GSG 1911 because it was most like a "real" pistol, Ruger Charger because it was most accurate, Beretta 21 because it was most "Bond-like", Tac Sol upper'd AR, because it was most AR like.

I guess it all comes down to what traits you are looking for. What .22 guns do you currently own? There may be one that a threaded barrel is readily available for already.

Regarding price, I always advise making sure you buy the features and quality YOU want. NOT, buying because something is "cheap" or "available", two common mistakes. Suppressors aren't cheap after you take in to account the tax and associated fees. I had a local shop try to sell me a "cheap" $250 suppressor. The "fee's" broke down like this: $250 for the suppressor, $80 for their handling fee (which included 2 photos), $42 for the sheriff's office (yeah they charge a fee here) and $200 for the ATF tax. So the total cost of the "cheap" "available" suppressor was $572. I found a "kitchen table" dealer that would order a suppressor for me that had the features I wanted for $350 ($50 less than MSRP), $42 for the sheriff, $200 for the ATF for a total of $592. So I basically would have saved a whopping $20 by going with the suppressor that didn't test as well because it was available. Remember there isn't much of a market for used suppressors, and even if you do manage to find a buyer you'll never get the tax and fees back.

currantly i have 2 ruger 10/22's, not looking to suppress a rifle really and if i did i would go bolt gun, i also own two .22 lr revolvers, again not somthing i am looking to suppress i would say a browning , ruger mk1 or ll, or a woodsman if i could find one, i am not into any of the clunky guns , the walther p-22 is just aout the ugliest gun i have ever seen!i would love to buy a .22 kit for my glock 21 and suppress that, that would be fun.but then agian, i wouldn't mind suppressing my glock , just because!!!!!

currantly i have 2 ruger 10/22's, not looking to suppress a rifle really and if i did i would go bolt gun, i also own two .22 lr revolvers, again not somthing i am looking to suppress i would say a browning , ruger mk1 or ll, or a woodsman if i could find one, i am not into any of the clunky guns , the walther p-22 is just aout the ugliest gun i have ever seen!i would love to buy a .22 kit for my glock 21 and suppress that, that would be fun.but then agian, i wouldn't mind suppressing my glock , just because!!!!!

In that case, I'd say the Buckmark. You can get a threaded TacSol barrel so you don't have to mess with the factory barrel, and you don't have to pay (or hassle) with a FFL like you do with the Ruger since the Ruger's upper is considered the firearm. I'm not exactly sure what a threaded Glock conversion would cost but, I imagine it would be about the same as a threaded Buckmark. Then you have 2 complete guns, you don't need to switch them back and forth, and I'd bet the Buckmark is more accurate than a converted Glock.

Someone with more literary resources than myself should educate this poster about the whole suppressed firearm/permit/licence thing. I would wonder what the purpose of desiring suppression is, and weigh that purpose against the exposure of oneself to more scrutiny by BATFE. These guys are not to be trifled with, and less exposure to their operations is probably of benefit if the purpose is not of immediate and crucial nature.

Experimentation with suppression is a worthwhile endeavor, and can be accomplished easily without involving the Feds, then determine if further officially sanctioned exploration is worth the extra scrutiny.

Someone with more literary resources than myself should educate this poster about the whole suppressed firearm/permit/licence thing.

There is no "suppressed firearm/permit/licence thing". You fill out and submit a Form 4 (this is a TAX form) and pay a $200 transfer tax. Once the application is approved a $200 stamp similar to a postage stamp is affixed to your copy of the form and is canceled by the examiner, then the form is send to the dealer and the transfer is done. If you file as an individual you submit photographs and fingerprints, as well as have to get local CLEO sign off. A background check is performed, your fingerprints are run by the FBI. A 4473 is filled out at dealer transfer but no NICS check is done since the background check was done at the federal level. If you file as a legal entity such as an LLC/Corp/Trust, then there is no photographs or fingerprints, nor CLEO sign off. Since the legal entity doesn't have a background no check is done at this time. The authorized person picking up the NFA item from the dealer will have to fill out a 4473 with their personal information and a NICS check is done because the background check was not done at the federal level.

There's factory threaded versions of the Ruger, you won't have to get the barrel threaded or deal with a Tac-Sol upper. The Ruger is also a quieter host than the Buckmark. The MKIII has a mag disconnect that is defeated by installing a MKII hammer bushing, also cleans up the trigger pull. Ruger knows the MKII bushing defeats the mag disconnect so they no longer sell it, you can get an aftermarket Clark bushing or get one from Sam Lam out of Canada, you can find his contact info at rimfirecentral.com.

There's factory threaded versions of the Ruger, you won't have to get the barrel threaded or deal with a Tac-Sol upper. The Ruger is also a quieter host than the Buckmark. The MKIII has a mag disconnect that is defeated by installing a MKII hammer bushing, also cleans up the trigger pull. Ruger knows the MKII bushing defeats the mag disconnect so they no longer sell it, you can get an aftermarket Clark bushing or get one from Sam Lam out of Canada, you can find his contact info at rimfirecentral.com.

I was gonna mention the threaded version of the 22/45 (I don't believe they make a threaded version of the Mark III yet) but figured the O.P. had an aversion to the plastic lowers since he only expressed interest in a Mark I or II. BTW, Browning makes a threaded version of the Buckmark also, although it is a 5.5" barrel which would cause issues with bulk ammo going super-sonic.

Your second suggestion is what I referred to. And, as someone with infinitely more experience than myself in this arena, you may be able to answer whether or not the old combo of a balloon strapped to the muzzle/subsonic Long Rifle ammo would be a violation, as well as the old tennis ball container/duct tape/subsonic ammo arrangement. I have a feeling that the laws may indeed preclude even these experiments.

And I will not answer whether or not I've ever done these things, or ever attached a Contender pistol barrel to a frame with a shoulder stock remaining. Neither will I respond to any inquiries about removing labels from mattresses.

My close and recent experience with suppressed firearms is in relation to a friend doing it (legally) to a .44 Ruger rifle in order that he could shoot hogs in Texas without disturbing unshot hogs much. I thoroughly enjoyed shooting his gun, and can understand this purpose, and perhaps there are other practical applications for suppression of which I am not aware.

Abiqua's reply was the knowledge I did not have, but I still think all that rigamaroll amounts to a "permit/licence thing", at least in my original intended usage of the phrase. Perhaps I now would choose different words ("process/application thing"?). If his presentation was toward the belief that this can be accomplished somewhat anonymously in regards to BATFE, I might argue that point.

If his presentation was toward the belief that this can be accomplished somewhat anonymously in regards to BATFE, I might argue that point.

Sure, go the TRUST route. The ONLY person that would check to be sure that he is O.K. to possess the item would be himself. If he has ever purchased a firearm from a dealer he is already under as much "scrutiny" as he'll be if he goes the trust route.

Cyclesarge, it is early in the morning, and my brain isn't working right yet. (Only 4 cups of coffee so far.) I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Dumb it down for me.

Cyclesarge, it is early in the morning, and my brain isn't working right yet. (Only 4 cups of coffee so far.) I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Dumb it down for me.

Abique put it pretty well.
If you file as a legal entity such as an LLC/Corp/Trust, then there is no photographs or fingerprints, nor CLEO sign off. Since the legal entity doesn't have a background no check is done at this time. The authorized person picking up the NFA item from the dealer will have to fill out a 4473 with their personal information and a NICS check is done because the background check was not done at the federal level.

i can withstand any scrutiny they wish to throw my way , other than having been young and dumb enough to marry my frist wife, i am clean as a whistle!!!!!!
i would love to shoot a couple of supperessed gun.. i haerd a guy one time who had a ruger, with the suppressor built on, it looked like a mark ll with a 6 " bull barrel, and it to me was not quiet.. i honestly think from behind, my ols mossberg bolt gun was as queit, but , i didn't try in front of it :).

i can withstand any scrutiny they wish to throw my way , other than having been young and dumb enough to marry my frist wife, i am clean as a whistle!!!!!!
i would love to shoot a couple of supperessed gun.. i haerd a guy one time who had a ruger, with the suppressor built on, it looked like a mark ll with a 6 " bull barrel, and it to me was not quiet.. i honestly think from behind, my ols mossberg bolt gun was as queit, but , i didn't try in front of it :).

That could be a couple different things. First ammo, without sub-sonic ammo, it WON'T be quiet. You don't need some fancy special ammo. Pretty much any ammo that is not HYPER-velocity (Stingers) will be sub-sonic in a 4.5" (or less) barrel. Regular ole CCI Standard Velocity stays sub sonic in my 16" barreled rifles. It's kinda interesting to shoot super sonic suppressed next to super sonic UN-suppressed. I can't tell the difference because the rifle takes so much of the "POP" off that pretty much all you hear is the ballistic crack. Sub-sonic suppressed on the other hand (with a bolt action) sounds like "click" (hammer dropping), "pft", "thud" (bullet hitting the target).

The other thing that could be contributing to the loudness you heard would be poor suppressor design. There are plenty of "fly by night" manufacturers popping out garbage, as well as form 1 experimenters. Even some of the more reputable manufacturer's suppressors work better on pistols than others. According to one test I saw, the Yankee Hill Machine Mite tested at 131 db on a Mark series pistol, whereas (using the same measuring criteria) an unsuppressed 10/22 ALSO measured 131 db. If I remember correctly, the Mite measured at 111-113 db on the 10/22 which is very quiet, considering just the "bolt drop" on a 10/22 accounts for 109 db.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top