JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Legalize it, and half of our county jail would be empty.
Drunks will be drunks and pot heads will be pot heads.
As a past business owner both in Kalifornia, and the Peoples Republik of Washington, I can tell you first hand that I fired both drunks and potheads.
I also had both sensible users of alcohol, and of pot who were great workers.
Overall however, the drinkers had far more drive than the pot users.
I had my first business in 1977. I smoked pot daily. On a dare I quit for 30 days, and my level of energy spiked, and so did the success of my business.

I'm the opposite. I quit drinking and my drive went up incredibly- got back into college, hustled, and currently work 30 hrs/week, do around 20-30 hrs a week of school work, and still find time to volunteer, have a girlfriend, and keep my hobbies. I smoked pot occasionally in the beginning of my sobriety from alcohol and it never effected my drive, in fact made my focus stronger (have to pick the right strains). Currently I do not smoke, and the only things put into my body are occasional sugars, a medium amount of caffeine, and nicotine. Much of this has to do with my CPL and my work's drug policy. I err on the side of caution, but if it were to become legal I would have no problems with weekly use and my workload. It's about setting boundaries- don't drive/work while under the influence, don't depend on the substance, and don't get into a trap of being under the influence for most of your waking day if you can help it.

With that being said, my line of work has placed me close to multiple medical marijuana card holders, many due to injuries they will have for a lifetime (spinal cord/nervous system conditions). Most have been prescribed high levels of painkillers that have made them feel out of it all day and caused damage to their stomach/GI systems. Some use it for it's painkilling properties, other as an anti-anxiety treatment, and a few to develop hunger because many of the med combinations they are on can cause daily nausea.

It's silly that our nation isn't legalizing/taxing it. Some of this has to do with the powerful alcohol and pharm lobbies, who know that it will take a cut from their profits (recent reports show that a nationwide legalization could drop drinking down 25%, not a help in the recession-hit alcohol industry and hurting beer industry). There's tons of misinformation out about cannabis that has been recycled for 75+ years. It's funny though, when I'm talking about it there's always someone that will say OH YOU JUST WANT TO GET HIGH? No. My work policy might remain the same, and they might not issue CPLs with MM cards. I'll live, but to deny the benefits I have seen first-hand would be a shame. Also: students receiving PELL and other grants for education can lose their money/pay back what they have received if caught with cannabis. While some might argue that it's fair because it's a federal program I counter with this: a student could theoretically get up to two DUIs and be convicted of rape and still keep their grants. A single joint and they could lose them. Ridiculous.

I'll end with the DEA's head dodging cannabis questions during a judiciary subcommittee hearing:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the opposite. I quit drinking and my drive went up incredibly- got back into college, hustled, and currently work 30 hrs/week, do around 20-30 hrs a week of school work, and still find time to volunteer, have a girlfriend, and keep my hobbies. I smoked pot occasionally in the beginning of my sobriety from alcohol and it never effected my drive, in fact made my focus stronger (have to pick the right strains). Currently I do not smoke, and the only things put into my body are occasional sugars, a medium amount of caffeine, and nicotine. Much of this has to do with my CPL and my work's drug policy. I err on the side of caution, but if it were to become legal I would have no problems with weekly use and my workload. It's about setting boundaries- don't drive/work while under the influence, don't depend on the substance, and don't get into a trap of being under the influence for most of your waking day if you can help it.

With that being said, my line of work has placed me close to multiple medical marijuana card holders, many due to injuries they will have for a lifetime (spinal cord/nervous system conditions). Most have been prescribed high levels of painkillers that have made them feel out of it all day and caused damage to their stomach/GI systems. Some use it for it's painkilling properties, other as an anti-anxiety treatment, and a few to develop hunger because many of the med combinations they are on can cause daily nausea.

It's silly that our nation isn't legalizing/taxing it. Some of this has to do with the powerful alcohol and pharm lobbies, who know that it will take a cut from their profits (recent reports show that a nationwide legalization could drop drinking down 25%, not a help in the recession-hit alcohol industry and hurting beer industry). There's tons of misinformation out about cannabis that has been recycled for 75+ years. It's funny though, when I'm talking about it there's always someone that will say OH YOU JUST WANT TO GET HIGH? No. My work policy might remain the same, and they might not issue CPLs with MM cards. I'll live, but to deny the benefits I have seen first-hand would be a shame. Also: students receiving PELL and other grants for education can lose their money/pay back what they have received if caught with cannabis. While some might argue that it's fair because it's a federal program I counter with this: a student could theoretically get up to two DUIs and be convicted of rape and still keep their grants. A single joint and they could lose them. Ridiculous.

I'll end with the DEA's head dodging cannabis questions during a judiciary subcommittee hearing:

Your link is not working.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stoner stereotype is nothing more than government propaganda to get people to accept their pharmaceutical intolerance, much like the racist redneck militia stereotype is used to classify anyone who disagrees with government fascism.

For white collar work, MJ is totally harmless. I know and work with smokers with grad degrees and PhD's who can out-think and out-work any drug warrior jerkoff.

This is 100% true from my experience as well.

This is 100% true from my experience as well.

Yeah, I think for careers not involving driving/heavy machinery/emergency services it can be beneficial. I know many people in the art/business/writing world who use while working and it doesn't effect their output, in some times making it better. I think the key is to not use it as a crutch.

Yeah, I think for careers not involving driving/heavy machinery/emergency services it can be beneficial. I know many people in the art/business/writing world who use while working and it doesn't effect their output, in some times making it better. I think the key is to not use it as a crutch.

You don't have enough stoners around you ?

The stoner stereotype is nothing more than government propaganda to get people to accept their pharmaceutical intolerance, much like the racist redneck militia stereotype is used to classify anyone who disagrees with government fascism.

For white collar work, MJ is totally harmless. I know and work with smokers with grad degrees and PhD's who can out-think and out-work any drug warrior jerkoff.

Hell, look at Michael Phelps! :-D

I'm one of those guys that would use it if it was legal, on an occasional basis. I don't now because using it would have serious consequences should I be caught with it.

And yes, there are people that are not able to control their weed use, just like there are guys that can't control their alcohol use. I'd guess that the numbers would be about the same, percentage wise....I could be wrong but I've known enough stoners in my life to be willing to make that bet.

Bottom line, for me, right now, it's agin the law. Whether it is right or wrong (the law) is immaterial. I don't want to get caught on the wrong side of the law for something silly

I'm one of those guys that would use it if it was legal, on an occasional basis. I don't now because using it would have serious consequences should I be caught with it.

And yes, there are people that are not able to control their weed use, just like there are guys that can't control their alcohol use. I'd guess that the numbers would be about the same, percentage wise....I could be wrong but I've known enough stoners in my life to be willing to make that bet.

Bottom line, for me, right now, it's agin the law. Whether it is right or wrong (the law) is immaterial. I don't want to get caught on the wrong side of the law for something silly

Exactly. I have a CPL, have a job that random tests, and receive grants. It's not something I can partake in at this time in my life, should I want to.

I dont want to see pot legalized by no means.We have enough lazy welfare recipients already,thats not to say there are not hard working people who smoke it and thats fine with me I wont judge a guy for doing what he needs to stay grounded,I did it too when I was a kid.But to open the door to everyone on my jobsites and working around machinery stoned I dont see how it's a good idea.
However I am glad they didn't impose this on the people who use legally since it is still their right to bear arms if they have not committed a crime.
Alcohol is legal and it is still against the rules of the workplace to come to work drunk. Legalizing it won't change that.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top