JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Depends on what you want. YHM makes good stuff. When buying a silencer you need to buy what you really want/need the first time because there is very low resale in them. The minute you buy a silencer you are 25-50% upside down in it, ~$700 can, $200 Stamp, ~$100 misc, so you are $1000 into a can worth ~$500 used.........

You need to put these things in order of importance to you;
Cost
Size
Weight
Mount style
Material
Brand
Baffle design

For example if you want an inexpensive version it will be heavy, made of steel with basic baffles and thread mount. On the other hand you can get a light weight Ti can with QD mounts but it is going to cost much more. Those are answers you have to give yourself. For me weight and size are usually my big considerations.

I have several cans but for my next I want/need QD for the mounting options of the guns I want to use it on. Then I want it lighter weight then the .30 cal can I have now that comes in at a staggering 26oz so it is going to be Ti. This means I am going to be spending $$$ on it but getting exactly what I want.

I have a titanium phantom for my AR and it is awesome. I got the quick attach flash hider which definitely helps ATTACHING as after you fire a few rounds through it that puppy is hot so there's nothing quick about detaching it! It's built like a tank and YHM has a lifetime warranty on their cans as well as most (if not all) being rated for full auto. Check out the dB reduction ratings and you will see that for price and performance, they are hard to beat! I went with titanium as the steel one was MUCH heavier and I don't fire prone very often so weight was a huge deciding factor for me. Not sure if you ever make it to Salem but blackwater tactical has a few cans in stock at great prices from YHM and you can feel/inspect them in person to see if they meet your personal requirements.

I got frustrated with all the costs of suppressors and hassles of filling out paperwork....so I just bought an airsoft gun and pretend. :)
Actually my suppressed 10/22 with subsonic .22lr is quieter than my BB gun lol.

But BillRigsby what caliber are you looking for? Is this going to be a pistol or rifle can? Do you want this can to work for multiple calibers or just one? I currently have quite a few suppressors and each was bought for a reason, i have also never paid over $200 for a can so deals can be found out there if you look, most of mine are not name brand either, i have a Hairtrigger .223 can(a little heavy looks archaic but best value IMO) I also have a BeaverCreek Armory .22lr, nice looking maybe 1db louder than other .22 cans, YHM Wraith 9mm with Quick Detach but it does not cycle on pistols so its either single shot or used on my full auto and lastly I have an SAS 30 cal can for my long range rifles(which is still processing and has not been used by me yet). So look around, try out other peoples cans if you can(pun intended) and find what fits YOU and your weapons and your budget and don't forget this is not something you will probably sell.

I got frustrated with all the costs of suppressors and hassles of filling out paperwork....so I just bought an airsoft gun and pretend. :)
I eliminated the frustration associated with fingerprints and the sheriff's signature by creating a trust (for $40) and eliminated the most of the costs of buying silencers by purchasing a lathe and making my own. Pretending is like video games, they both suck. :)

Ranb

Actually my suppressed 10/22 with subsonic .22lr is quieter than my BB gun lol.

But BillRigsby what caliber are you looking for? Is this going to be a pistol or rifle can? Do you want this can to work for multiple calibers or just one? I currently have quite a few suppressors and each was bought for a reason, i have also never paid over $200 for a can so deals can be found out there if you look, most of mine are not name brand either, i have a Hairtrigger .223 can(a little heavy looks archaic but best value IMO) I also have a BeaverCreek Armory .22lr, nice looking maybe 1db louder than other .22 cans, YHM Wraith 9mm with Quick Detach but it does not cycle on pistols so its either single shot or used on my full auto and lastly I have an SAS 30 cal can for my long range rifles(which is still processing and has not been used by me yet). So look around, try out other peoples cans if you can(pun intended) and find what fits YOU and your weapons and your budget and don't forget this is not something you will probably sell.

:s0155: $200 cans, I like. That's what I paid for my 22lr, would love a .223 for $200.

Anyone have experience with a Yankee Hill suppressor? Is it a quailty product or would I be better off going with a Surefire or AAC?

YHM makes good suppressors. They are built like tanks and will be as durable as any. You did not specify what the suppressor is for however.

If you are looking at a rifle suppressor, unless your shooting subsonic you can only get so quiet. An AR is over 140db at the ejection port so even if your suppressor reduces the sound to less than that, its going to be pretty tough to notice. So what you should look into is weight and what your options are for mounts. There are lots of good rifle suppressors out there (including the YHM's) so really you should just get the one you want the most. As someone already said you are buying it for life so get what you really want.

For a rimfire suppressor the Mite gets a pretty bad rep on most forums. That said, I have a Mite as well as a AAC Element and a stainless Silencerco Sparrow and having fired them all side by side I can tell you that the Mite is not all that bad. It is heavy in comparison to the others, and if you get it to dirty you will have a hell of a time getting it apart for cleaning. For that reason, it is very tough to beat a Silencerco Sparrow.

I do not have any experience with YHM pistol cans so I cant help you there.

Ryan

I got a YHM308. It is heavy at nearly 30oz. Ok for bench work on bolts. But, quite nose heavy when shooting off hand AR platform. But I wanted low cost while durable, and that I got. It is all trade offs. As said above, it is almost a life commitment so take your time and choose well.

This conversation reminds me of an old addage in the mountain biking world. You can have cheap, light and strong. Pick two.

I just mailed off the paperwork for my AAC 762-SDN-6. Using the criteria that Nwcid laid out I concluded my new rifle can had to:
1. hold up to short barrel abuse with supersonic ammo (warranted for 12" 308s and all the baffles are inconel)
2. weigh less than 1.5lbs (it's 20oz)
3. mount to muzzle devices

Do your homework and choose wisely. It took me 6 months to harvest data and then decide on a can.

For a rimfire suppressor the Mite gets a pretty bad rep on most forums. That said, I have a Mite as well as a AAC Element and a stainless Silencerco Sparrow and having fired them all side by side I can tell you that the Mite is not all that bad. It is heavy in comparison to the others, and if you get it to dirty you will have a hell of a time getting it apart for cleaning. For that reason, it is very tough to beat a Silencerco Sparrow.

I do not have any experience with YHM pistol cans so I cant help you there.

Ryan

Just curious, is the Mite as comparable on a pistol as it is on a rifle? IIRC from one of the review sites the Mite was pretty loud on the pistols compared to the likes of the AAC and SWR offerings, but pretty close on a rifle, is that your experience? I'm kinda thinking about a Mite mostly just for use on my Savage Mark II which is stupid quiet with my Warlock (which I don't think rated all that well on rifles).

Also check around on SilencerTalk and give them some idea of what caliber you're looking for. You'll get a variety of feedback (and search the forums) but you'll get enough information to form your own opinion and decide what's acceptable for you to make the plunge on.

I've got two AAC's and one SWR - all three have performed exactly as I wanted. I wouldn't have a problem considering YH knowing some people I trust carry and sell those units, but I've not looked too hard at them personally.

I'm looking for 5.56 on a 20" barrel. I want to use it for coyote shooting and of course recreational shooting without the need for ear protection. I hear having a suppressor while coyote hunting disrupts the report of a firearm enough that if missed, the coyote can't pinpoint where the shot is coming from. Not that I plan on missing....I've been looking around and YHM suppressors are cheaper than some but I just want to make sure I am buying a quality item when the time comes. Weight is always a factor when considering anything firearms related for me.

I'm looking for 5.56 on a 20" barrel. I want to use it for coyote shooting and of course recreational shooting without the need for ear protection. I hear having a suppressor while coyote hunting disrupts the report of a firearm enough that if missed, the coyote can't pinpoint where the shot is coming from. Not that I plan on missing....I've been looking around and YHM suppressors are cheaper than some but I just want to make sure I am buying a quality item when the time comes. Weight is always a factor when considering anything firearms related for me.

YHM is a pretty good value.
I think it would work fine for Yotin'.

There will be some new cans released in a couple weeks. Might want to hold up a bit.
The is great sound testing and reviews here:
Silencer Forum - Sound Testing, Reviews & Discussion

YHM is a pretty good value.
I think it would work fine for Yotin'.

There will be some new cans released in a couple weeks. Might want to hold up a bit.
The is great sound testing and reviews here:
Silencer Forum - Sound Testing, Reviews & Discussion

Hey coctailer,

Will you be stocking any of the Silencerco Sakers? I suspect you should be near the front of the line if you don't already have one. ;)

Just curious, is the Mite as comparable on a pistol as it is on a rifle? IIRC from one of the review sites the Mite was pretty loud on the pistols compared to the likes of the AAC and SWR offerings, but pretty close on a rifle, is that your experience? I'm kinda thinking about a Mite mostly just for use on my Savage Mark II which is stupid quiet with my Warlock (which I don't think rated all that well on rifles).

I can not say as I have not used the Mite on a rifle. I would not personally call the Mite loud. I have seen that thrown around on silncertalk a lot and its actually somewhat comical. Would I recommend buying one? No. The reason being that if you shoot it too much without cleaning it, you will have one hell of a time getting it apart. For that reason, its pretty tough to beat the Sparrow for a 22 can.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top