JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can anyone tell me where I can get a silencer for my Walther P22. I have found sites on the internet, but after all the paperwork and shipping it takes about 3 months! I want to go out and play with one now. I have a threaded pistol allready just need the suppressor. Any help would be appreciated....

Visit Pat @ Oregon Research Labs, he'll let you shoot a few to try them out! It won't necessarily take 3 months, the paperwork through the ATF can be brutal, but potentially faster.

Doing the whole 'ordering' thing isn't a problem if you grab one that is in stock!

Also check out TROS. They are at the Gun show this weekend, but they are normally in corvallis. they are mfgs, and often actually have them in stock.

Finally, Revelation Arms has a 22 can in stock right now, I had it in my hands the other day. I am considering buying it, but if you get there first....

No problem! I put in an order through Pat for an SWR HEMS 2 a while ago(its about a week away, then I get to start my ATF paperwork), so during the wait I've done nothing but research.

If you have any other questions, just ask!

What is the whole criteria for being allowed to own one? I just want one so I can go plinking in the woods without drawing attention to myself. Is it just the same background check as for firearms? and what if someone here or on another site has one privately, is it ok to just purchase it from them like we do firearms here? thanks again

To purchase one, it is the same FBI background check, though the ATF does it.

You can not buy F2F, you have to transfer it through the ATF and buy a 'tax stamp' for $200.

This background check is what takes all the time. You send in a form with fingerprints, pictures and a CLEO signature, and wait!

You can also file through a 'trust', which occassionally is quicker, but you still wait for at least a month, but you don't require the prints, pictures, or the CLEO signature.

A trust is a legal entity, similar to a corporation, where the 'trust' owns stuff, and the officers are allowed to use it.

They aren't that expensive to set up, and make the process smoother.

Look up "Revokable living trust" for more info, they are usually used for estate planning.

HOWEVER: The fact that a company/trust can own a suppressor is only by the ATF's interpretation of the law, and is in no way written into the law. An unfriendly director I would imagine, can take that right away if he/she wishes.

Thanks again Keane looks like I will just start the waiting game. From visiting the sites you mentioned it sounds like you pay first then get approved. if you dont get approved i guess your out the cash?

Yes, you must purchase the suppressor and pay the tax FIRST. Most dealers, however, will most likely let you return the suppressor if you fail.

A pass on the tax stamp is a given, as long as you pass the same background to purchase a firearm.

I'm not sure about the $200 for the tax stamp. They cash the check before they even look at your paperwork, however, I would suspect they give it back if you fail. I've never known anyone to NOT get approved, since all are already legal gun owners.

A trust has other benefits such as no CLEO approval necessary and no finger prints required.

+1 on Pat at ORL-LLC

Yep, i mentioend that in my 1st post on the trust.

I still would only do a trust if your CLEO didnt sign off... there are specific risks involved, since their ability to own a suppressor is entirely a 'reading' of the law, and not actually the law.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top