JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So many moons ago when I first became exposed to NFA items, suppressors were always called suppressors.

Calling a suppressor a "silencer" exposed you as some sort low rent Hollywood Vanilla Ice gangsta wannabe and was the equivalent of calling a magazine a "clip".

Fast forward to today and I see "silencer" used frequently and even used in advertising (The Silencer Shop).

What happened? Did we just give up on the one?

E

The ATF form says "silencer". Suppressor is a more accurate description of
what they actually do. Haven't seen one that was truly silent yet---although
my Savage FV-SR with a Liberty Kodiak TL can and Aguilla sub-sonic comes
REALLY close!:)

I own three cans and while they reduce the noise level of my guns, they sure don't make them silent! I spent all that money for silent guns that Hollywood sold me on and dang if I can still hear them go bang!!!!:eek: What's up with that????:D

what-difference-does-it-make-meme-generator-what-difference-does-it-make-ee8d52_zps7f4cd1051.jpg

what-difference-does-it-make-meme-generator-what-difference-does-it-make-ee8d52_zps7f4cd1051.jpg

I ran into a guy at a local Bi-Mart that had it very clear in his mind that they were two different things. I started to try and explain that there was no difference, but then I noticed the metaphoric tin-foil under his painters hat and thought better.

The ATF form says "silencer". Suppressor is a more accurate description of
what they actually do. Haven't seen one that was truly silent yet---although
my Savage FV-SR with a Liberty Kodiak TL can and Aguilla sub-sonic comes
REALLY close!:)

That's because the first official patent was as the "Maxim Silencer" in 1909.

I know guys that will run across a busy freeway with an infant in their arms to be the first one to correct someone over the use of silencer or clip. I would hope that someday these correct police realize the potential alienation they create instead of being encouraging and supportive of their fellow shooting enthusists. We dont need to drive away people who already share our hobby.

Not the same argument. There are clips and magazines. Each are diffrent. Silencers and suppressors are not seperate things. And I want you to know i just dashed accross I5 with a toddler in tow to make sure i was the FIRST to tell you

Last Edited:
Not the same argument. There are clips and magazines. Each are diffrent. Silencers and suppressors are not seperate things. And I want you to know i just dashed accross I5 with a toddler in tow to make sure i was the FIRST to tell you

And you ignored my horn ?? LOL

And lets not forget about those thought leaders in the Gun Control crowd who respond to any idea of civilian ownership of silencers with cries of "We want guns to be as loud as possible so people will hear them and know how dangerous they are and run way…"

Suppressor just implies "less noisy" while Silencer implies "Silent, Sneaky and Shouldn't be Trusted". Less noisy is just not as catchy as silent and sneaky when your trying to deprive people of something and gin up support.

It's all marketing. :)

And while we are on the topic of what we call these things - how can we possibly tolerate people that call them "cans". How grossly inaccurate and inaticulate is that?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top