JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So Iv been tossing around the thought of purchasing a suppressor. I own a 9mm and also a Ar 15, but im not entirely sure which one would get to most sound benefit from a suppressor. I cant say Iv shot either caliber with a suppressor on it, so I don't know the kind of Difference id be getting.

9mm and 5.56 are two very different calibers. You can suppress the 9mm to whisper quiet, by loading a
heavy bullet sub-sonic. Easy to do and you still have darned good performance--for a 9mm.

5.56? It's going to be supersonic. You can muffle the muzzle blast, but there isn't much you can
do about the supersonic transition. If you want serious downrange performance suppressed on a
AR platform, take a hard look at the 300 Blackout.

It depends on what you need the suppressor for.

If "fun" is what you are looking for, then they are both fun. You can use the 9mm suppressor if you buy a 9mm rifle down the road (or a conversion kit).

If you want to save your family's hearing in a self-defense situation, pick your primary self-defense tool and equip it with the suppressor.

As BillM mentioned, 9mm is easy to suppress very well (147gr). The sound will not be as ridiculously quiet as that of a suppressed .22LR, but the difference is still pretty awesome. With an AR-15, you will save your hearing but the supersonic crack will still be loud enough to alert your neighbors.

I have heard that a suppressed AR-15 "runs dirty" (attributed to John Noveske) but not sure what it means, exactly - it could be a drawback of internally-suppressed rifles, not the ones with external suppressors.

As Bill pointed out, you're asking an apples and oranges kind of question. 9mm, I'm guessing you're talking about a pistol suppressor. For AR-15, you're talking about a rifle suppressor.

Pistol suppressors are different from rifle suppressors, first they tend to be lighter, and thus smaller. Which while it does have a somewhat adverse affect on the amount of suppression you get, also still means you can hold the suppressed pistol on target without having forearms more intended for crushing shellfish rather than delicately operating a firearm. Next, pistol suppressors usually have a recoil booster as a means of improving reliability in what has become the dominant design of semi-automatic pistols (that is, the browning delayed blowback design). It should be noted that while pistol suppression can be quite efficient, the added size and weight often outweighs the utility gained.

Rifle suppressors, especially on the AR-15 platform are very well developed, and while they do change the balance and add weight, they are usually more innocuous than their pistol cousins. You may notice the extra pound or two out on the muzzle, but that is in no way a deal breaker, as most people can compensate for the added weight. Additionally, you are taking a very loud firearm, and you may be significantly reducing the muzzle blast, muzzle flash, and while you're doing far from silencing it, it may take the noise signature down to a level that is safe to use without hearing protection in an open field (indoor, suppressors do take the edge off, and may make an unbearably loud firearm tolerable, but I would not consider any of them "hearing safe" no matter what the manufacturer says).

I do like suppressing the AR platform, it doesn't silence it by any means, but it definitely provides some attenuation of the muzzle blast. If you are considering a rifle suppressor, you may also want to consider getting one of those silicon rubber jackets for it, as one thing about .223 barrels and suppressors... they get HOT, and it is very easy to burn yourself with it. I still bear many of the scars from such indiscretions.

went through this a year ago... I ended up with an osprey 45 suppressor.. even if you only have a 9mm now, get the .45acp suppressor, the difference is minimal and allows you to shoot bigger calibers downto .22lr when you want to later on...

for me it was simply that I would be more likely to use the pistol suppressor and appreciate it's effect than a rifle suppressor..

.22lr subsonic though the osprey 45 is hearing safe in a big way... more if wet...

you can always buy a .22lr rifle and put the can on it...

I second flexibility.

Unless you have deep pockets, I suggest looking at a suppressor that will interchange to a number of different calibers.

I settled on a ThunderBeast 308 can. I can use that on 30-06, 308, or my AR-15. https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/30p-1

IMO the versatility is worth the slight compromise in performance.

Just so you know, it is not like the Bond movies where there is near zero noise. Even a subsonic 22 will sound like a loud pellet gun. A high powered rifle will sound like a unsuppressed 22, etc. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread you can take rifle loads subsonic which will make it quieter but not silent by any means. So, unless you are an assassin or a poacher, quieter is good enough.

A bullet's energy is mass times velocity squared so if you are going subsonic and want to kill something, heavier is better since your velocity is limited.

I hunt with a 45-70 and considered getting a 45 can. Again, not an assassin or a poacher. . .

The only shot I would describe as 'silent' would be the Aguila 400/500fps primer only subs rounds through a good suppressor. Pretty much the same power as a pellet gun.

Fun though!

I have suppressors because I must; w/o them my tinnitus would make shooting unbearable over time. (Thank you deer hunter firing off a 30-06 next to me when I was 12).

So how does it work? Say I find a suppressor i want for 800, then the tax stamp is 200. Do i pay 1000 up front and wait for the 6+ months for the approval?

So how does it work? Say I find a suppressor i want for 800, then the tax stamp is 200. Do i pay 1000 up front and wait for the 6+ months for the approval?

don't forget the money for the trust if going that route...

and it's exactly the same as throwing money in a hole for 9 mos and finding it 9mos later and getting a nice surprise..

You should set up a "Family Gun Trust" before you send in your form 4's to the ATBF.
That way, the gun trust owns the trust items and not you personally. No need for any fingerprints, personal picture or sheriff's approval.
You can name family members in the trust, and they can have access to the suppressor, machine gun, etc.
There is a thread on this site that allows you to download the forms and after you fill in the blanks, you go to a notary and have the family gun trust notarized.

Type in "Family Gun Trust" in the advance search bar and go to the 2nd page, then scroll down to the 8th listing.
Follow the instructions and make sure you change the state from Washington to Oregon.
Very simple and you should do it soon, because our Prez is trying to close the door on these type of trusts.

This is my research (as of a few days ago!), I was contemplating whether I want to buy suppressor(s). Note that the numbers will vary slightly depending on the barrel length.
- a 9mm 147gr produces about 160 dB, with the best suppressors I found, AAC Ti-rant 9 or Silencerco, it cuts it down to about 128 dB. 9mm 115 gr produces about 163 dB.
- a 5.56 from a 16" barrel produces about 163 dB, with the best suppressor I found, the specwar 556, this cuts it down to 130 dB.
- a 22LR produces about 134 dB from a rifle and about 157 dB from a handgun, typical suppressors can cut it down by around 34 dB (there's the Osprey 22).

The only problems I've personally found are (1) dealing with the paperwork - not sure if I want to go the personal route or the trust route, (2) for a 9mm handgun having to ensure that it clears the sights on it.

I sent my two form 4's in on the 12th of last month.
I went the trust route and hopefully the feds don't clamp down on trusts before they go through.
I bought a Silencerco Sparrow and a 45 Osprey from Curt's Discounts Supply.
What drew me to the Osprey was it's shape. The bore hole is offset, so it lowers the can and keeps your factory sights in play. Plus it has more internal volume and that lessens more decibels then a round can.

I sent my two form 4's in on the 12th of last month.
I went the trust route and hopefully the feds don't clamp down on trusts before they go through.
I bought a Silencerco Sparrow and a 45 Osprey from Curt's Discounts Supply.
What drew me to the Osprey was it's shape. The bore hole is offset, so it lowers the can and keeps your factory sights in play. Plus it has more internal volume and that lessens more decibels then a round can.
Do you have a link to the trust document? I saw the other thread with the trust documents but there seems to be quite a bit of confusion about which documents are the right ones.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top