JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I hunt sage rats with a centerfire, at times the noise will put them down until a take a break. Since they are nongame, OSP told me a suppressor can be used. Has anyone noticed effects on accuracy, or velocity when using a suppressor on shots from 100-400 yards? Thinking about using one on a .223 and a 22-250.

Slightly off topic.... BUT the OSP said "suppressors OK on non-game":

I don't believe suppressors are illegal (in Oregon) while hunting game animals either. Lasers (or anything that projects an aiming point), spotlighting (or night vision devices), and machine guns are not allowed.

Here.... read this thread: is it legal to hunt with a silencer in Oregon?

Last Edited:
I have found that suppressors generally have 3 side effects.... Quieter report (DUH!), reduced recoil, and increased accuracy. I did also notice that when shooting sub sonic rounds through a 300 BLK the can increased velocity 30 FPS or so vs. not having the suppressor installed....

Just found out today that my poi is 1in high 2in left when suppressed. At first I thought it was the wind, then I pulled of the suppressor it went back on target...

Most, if not all, suppressors will have a different point of impact shift. Some more than others. Some rifle suppressors may have 2" lower at 100yds, others may be 3" low and 4" right. The hope is that it is repeatable, when the suppressor is removed and put back on. My 308 YHM is 2" low at 100yds but dead center. My Surefire is about an inch. So if you are using a rifle and will primarily be shooting suppressed, many will zero their rifle scope accordingly. Different things may affect point of impact shift. Weight being one of them. Buying a quality light weight titanium suppressor might be the best for long range rifle.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top