JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just really don't know. Is there a purpose for them besides just keeping your suppressor from getting scrathed?

I would believe anything that contains heat wouldn't be good unless somehow you want the Mirage 'heat wave' dissipated somehow.

Taking about covers you leave on when shooting like these - bowersgroupllc | eBay

Did more research - I guess it is mostly about hiding/containing Mirage.

<broken link removed>

I thought, at least in the case of the suppressor on a Mac, that it was to keep the operator from getting burned buy grabbing a hot can. That's because I have a m11-9 and a can in NFA jail and I have a hard time thinking of much else......

Now I see that there are other reasons for them.

The thread design of the m11/9 and mac 10's tends to allow the can to loosen. The Bowers cover enables a forward grip and ensures it stays tight providing you hold it there. Check that its tight often and plan on getting burnt without one ( cover). A slightly loose can on coarse threads will result in costly repairs.

Strikes me the main benefits are protection... from burns and scratches, the mirage cutting effects are just a bonus.

On pistols especially the cover is a must, mainly because 20-50% of the gun's surface area is now something you can burn yourself on, and I think this goes doubly for carbine suppressors.

I had a rad scar for about a year, where the make/model/serial from a can got scorched into my forearm... you could read it for about 3 months before it faded enough, also, not doing that again really hurt.

I guess I'll get a couple covers.

The mirage thing makes sense. However I do shoot at a range where rapid fire is not allowed anyway on 5.56-308 type rifles.

Strikes me the main benefits are protection... from burns and scratches, the mirage cutting effects are just a bonus.
I put a cover on only one of my suppressors and the sole purpose was for mirage. I put it on my 30 cal (used mostly on a 300 Win Mag) because the mirage became distracting after only a few rounds without the cover. Protection from damage and heat are just a bonus for me.

#1 item I use a TAB cover is for mirage.
#2 is for ability to touch the can to remove it without getting burn.. also can place it down anywhere without worrying that the material it touches won't attach to it. I've had friends who made the mistake of putting it on their gun case when hot.. and making a nice melted hole. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top