JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Guys/Gals,

I'm looking for advice on a .45 can for a home defense pistol. I have personal experience with rapidly discharging a weapon indoors without suppression and I don't want to repeat the experience in the event I have to defend my family!

Looking for suggestions on a can that will reduce noise on sub sonic rounds, not be too long to fit in the bedside safe and be able to run effectively when dry. If any of you know of such an animal please point me in the right direction.

I also need your advice on the best way to go about getting the stamp - this will be my first one. Do I work with the dealer? Do I get the stamp and then the can?

Appreciate any advice. Oh, and yes, I'm in Oregon.

First off you are going to get several people saying don't do this on a self defense gun. I say go for it, for all the reasons you listed. People seem more worried about what a jury MIGHT think or say vs defending your family/self properly.

Once you decide what can to get then you will have a few choices how to get it. First I would check with a couple local NFA dealers in your area and see what they can get and the price. Usually IF they can get what you want the price is about a wash between what you will pay from them, vs buying then transferring through them. You will need a dealer for ALL interstate transfers so it is worth your effort to find a good one and work with them.

If you can not find a dealer that can get what you want just call up the maker. They will be able to help you out.

Last reports I have heard it is taking 6mo+ for transfers to go though these days.

I bought a SilencerCo .45acp Osprey and a .22lr Sparrow at the same time.
I also set up a family gun trust using the one I found on here by a member called "Iansstud". Look up "Family Gun Trust" page 2, 9th down.

Just waiting for the ATF to send me the tax stamps. I already have my barrels threaded by Tornado Technologies.

With silencers you have to choose what you want most, you can not have it all. Rank these things in order to help you decide;

Price
Size
Weight
Mount style
Noise reduction
Materials
Brand

For example smaller units are generally not as efficient (quite), Lighter models are generally more expensive due to more expensive materials, OD mounts cost more then thread, ect.

With silencers you have to choose what you want most, you can not have it all. Rank these things in order to help you decide;

Price
Size
Weight
Mount style
Noise reduction
Materials
Brand

For example smaller units are generally not as efficient (quite), Lighter models are generally more expensive due to more expensive materials, OD mounts cost more then thread, ect.

Thanks. I know I'm not going to get the best sound reduction out of a short, dry can. The goal is to make the sound manageable but still be able to fit connected to the pistol in the bedside safe. If I can get it below ear-ringing level that would be great. I'm not familiar with gel and wipes so I'll have to look into that.

Thanks again guys.

I don't own any pistol suppressors, but a friend of mine owns an Osprey .45 and he let me shoot it with his HK USP .45 Tactical. Pretty quiet, would be perfectly suitable for use indoors without hearing protection when needed.

Do your best to find a good dealer with the can in stock. Otherwise you'll be waiting close to a year. Form 3 (dealer to dealer) transfer times are 2-3 months. Form 1/4 transfer times are approaching 9 months.

First off you are going to get several people saying don't do this on a self defense gun. I say go for it, for all the reasons you listed. People seem more worried about what a jury MIGHT think or say vs defending your family/self properly.
Well, I'm not one of "those people". Hearing protection is just common sense.

Nwcid said:
Last reports I have heard it is taking 6mo+ for transfers to go though these days.
More like 8 months currently.

Do your best to find a good dealer with the can in stock. Otherwise you'll be waiting close to a year. Form 3 (dealer to dealer) transfer times are 2-3 months. Form 1/4 transfer times are approaching 9 months.
I agree. Choose what you want from what you can find in stock. There are several class III dealers in the PDX metro area with stock to look at. Curt's discount shooters supply and Northwest Armory in Milwaukee. JC Weaponry in Newburg is a stocking dealer for several brands. There are more worth looking for.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top