JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
People should really work at getting suppressors back out of control of the ATF and back in to being over the counter available. Anyone who is going to use one illegally sure isn't going to jump through the hoops to go buy one, they will just make it or have it made in the backroom somewhere. Meanwhile thousands of people continue to lose their hearing every day, and they could make it irrelevant if they forget to bring their hearing protection. The regulation of them is about as dumb as it gets for the ATF, but I guess that runs true to form for them.
Start a movement to make them legal again. Get legislation moving and fix this problem. That is the right thing to do.

A member from here invited me to the Tri County Gun Club so he could try shooting with my suppressors.
We shot the 45 Osprey and a .22 Sparrow at the pistol range while the Portland police were getting some range time a couple of bays over.
It sounded like a war was going on when twenty or more cops opened fire at the same time.
On our side of the range, all you heard was a soft cough with the .45 and the clang of lead hitting target steel and a soft snicking sound with the .22 Sparrow.
When we drove over to the 100 yd rifle range to sight in my .300 Blackout SBR with an AAC 762 SD6 can on it, there were a couple of guys shooting large caliber rifles.
Those guns demanded ear protection, whereas shooting the .300 Blackout, all you heard was the bolt working and the shell hitting the concrete floor.
Here is a You Tube video of some guy showing how quiet a suppressed .30 cal SBR Blackout can be.

People should really work at getting suppressors back out of control of the ATF and back in to being over the counter available. Anyone who is going to use one illegally sure isn't going to jump through the hoops to go buy one, they will just make it or have it made in the backroom somewhere. Meanwhile thousands of people continue to lose their hearing every day, and they could make it irrelevant if they forget to bring their hearing protection. The regulation of them is about as dumb as it gets for the ATF, but I guess that runs true to form for them.
Start a movement to make them legal again. Get legislation moving and fix this problem. That is the right thing to do.

Come on, Taku! They don't give a rats rump about our hearing or anything else that affects the public. That cash cow will be defended to the last row of concertina and the last ditch! Our legislators don't care either!

Those guns demanded ear protection, whereas shooting the .300 Blackout, all you heard was the bolt working and the shell hitting the concrete floor.

simply closing the bolt on an AR is 117db. then you add port pop on top of that. and the gases out of the suppressor. roughly something on the order of nailgun loud.

yes suppressed subsonic 300blk is hella quiet compared to almost any other firearm. but not something i'd extensively shoot without hearing protection.

suppressed subsonic 22lr though. no problems there. sounds like a typewriter.

"simply closing the bolt on an AR is 117db."

I would politely insist that if the closing of the bolt on an AR measured 117db, one should stop using a trackhoe to cycle their action.

;-)

Come on, Taku! They don't give a rats rump about our hearing or anything else that affects the public. That cash cow will be defended to the last row of concertina and the last ditch! Our legislators don't care either!

Pretty much the case. Anything called a tax, is imbedded in steel in this country with the political system we have, but why not cause em some misery anyway :) When hell arrives all those tax stamps are just kindling anyway.

If I had the cash to pony up for a good quality suppressor and get the necessary work done on the gun(s) of my choice to accommodate it, it would be for the range, where the hearing damage is more likely to occur, not for the home where as has been indicated, my likelihood of needing to fire the gun is pretty remote. (More likely than at any other time unless you work at a stop and rob, I will add).

My recommendation is to just deal with the damage. It's small and if you've been protecting your hearing, isn't going to add a lot.

Hearing damage is cumulative. I got the lion's share of mine from the Air Force listening to jet engines all day with the really lousy hearing protection provided. But shooting with poor hearing protection has done more, as have the many, many, many loud concerts I've been to over the years.

As for the legal aspects, I want you to envision a prosecutor asking this question at closing arguments on a trial:
"What kind of person has this gun, this assassin's weapon that even police don't use?"

Ask yourself if that's a question you want to have come up (and it will if you're ever charged) when it's your butt on the line and you could have avoided it with about a 1/10% damage (at most) to your hearing.

I personally use electronic muffs for my middle of the night scenarios. Not to protect my hearing, but because they do what hearing aids do only a lot faster. -So far, happily, it's only been the dogs or a neighbor needing to use the phone.

If I had the cash to pony up for a good quality suppressor and get the necessary work done on the gun(s) of my choice to accommodate it, it would be for the range, where the hearing damage is more likely to occur, not for the home where as has been indicated, my likelihood of needing to fire the gun is pretty remote. (More likely than at any other time unless you work at a stop and rob, I will add).

My recommendation is to just deal with the damage. It's small and if you've been protecting your hearing, isn't going to add a lot.

Hearing damage is cumulative. I got the lion's share of mine from the Air Force listening to jet engines all day with the really lousy hearing protection provided. But shooting with poor hearing protection has done more, as have the many, many, many loud concerts I've been to over the years.

As for the legal aspects, I want you to envision a prosecutor asking this question at closing arguments on a trial:
"What kind of person has this gun, this assassin's weapon that even police don't use?"

Ask yourself if that's a question you want to have come up (and it will if you're ever charged) when it's your butt on the line and you could have avoided it with about a 1/10% damage (at most) to your hearing.

I personally use electronic muffs for my middle of the night scenarios. Not to protect my hearing, but because they do what hearing aids do only a lot faster. -So far, happily, it's only been the dogs or a neighbor needing to use the phone.
Who were the dogs trying to call in the middle of the night? [emoji13]

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads