JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Kidd makes a large charging handle assembly with three different weight springs (so you can cycle subsonics reliably) for about $35.00. Well worth it. Nice set up.

Ranb - have you tried sandblasting it - not glass bead - before painting? a bit of a rough surface helps tons. I'd suggest moly resin for the paint but fair warning, its nasty stuff to shoot and you want to wear a good respirator when doing it. A friend tried shooting it outside since he didn't have his mask one day and caught a bit too much - guess its the tons of isocyanates - he was hacking for a few months afterwards. another option might be having it anodized.

Used 10/22 $200
Scope mount $15
Scope rings $25
Scope $160
Bipod $40
Silencer $20 Does not include numerous attempts at finding a way to make paint (like Duracoat) stick to aluminum
Registration tax $200

Total $660

Average yearly 22lr ammo bill $250

Ranb

Why not have it anodized?

I hit it with aluminum oxide and cleaned it with acetone, then painted, but the paint will not stick well. AlumaBlack is even worse, it rubs right off with my fingers. I can't leave it at a facility that does anodizing unless they are a FFL/SOT class 2. I may set up to anodize myself in the future; just need to find a good power supply.

Ranb

Ranb,

On a few "fun" suppressors I made at the 10/02 I work for periodically, we just used high temp acrylic BBQ paint, worked fine on the .22 and .223 centerfire cans we made. Held up to the heat just fine even firing .223 full auto.

As for Bert's comments... Hearing protection is very important, however most .22LR suppressors are quiet enough that it's not an issue. However, many centerfire suppressors even though supposedly "hearing safe" are still painful to shoot. I don't know if I'm just getting to be a wimp, but I've started doubling up, doing plugs and over-ear muffs when I shoot indoors, and even wear plugs when I go to clubs and concerts. One thing I've noticed is that when you're at a concert wearing plugs, you can't hear all the idiots screaming but you hear the music perfect!

I have a 16" threaded 10/22 that I shoot pretty much exclusively suppressed and unless you go subsonic (as others have mentioned) the crack is still pretty loud. It is low enough not to damage hearing. A .22 pistol supressed (even with high velocity) is a totally different story, mine makes less noise than a pellet gun.

I hit it with aluminum oxide and cleaned it with acetone, then painted, but the paint will not stick well. AlumaBlack is even worse, it rubs right off with my fingers. I can't leave it at a facility that does anodizing unless they are a FFL/SOT class 2. I may set up to anodize myself in the future; just need to find a good power supply.

Ranb

So why not drop it to an SOT? It helps to make friends with your local SOT. Mine re-anodized my SBR lower for me when he was doing a run of other parts so cost was cheap. Somethings wrong though as AlumaBlack isn't a paint, it shouldn't rub off. BBQ/Engine paint should work as well as mentioned.

OP,

It is your money. You want a suppressor, go and get one. I have a 10/22 and I suppress it and I love it. It is "Hollywood" quiet with subsonic ammo. With hi velocity stuff, it is not so. I know I am repeating what other said. You can get a 10/22 today and shoot it. Get your suppressor, pay the tax and wait six months. Or, you can get a used bolt with a long barrel now (example: Winchester model 69 with 25" bbl) that is almost as quiet as a suppressed 22lr, in my opinion. It is just another option. Or do all of the above, just for giggles.

By the way, not all subsonic 22LR ammo is the same. Aguilas are iffy with 10/22, not consistent enough to reliably work the bolt as it should. I get many fail-to-eject failures. Get quality subsonic ammo, preferably with waxed bullets. They cost a bit more but they are worth it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top