JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone, i'm new to the forum and know absolutely nothing about firearms but want to buy a Ruger 10/22, but before I do that I'd like to know some more about it.

My main question, is can you buy them with threaded barrels? And if so, how much would a 10/22 with a threaded barrel with a decent suppressor cost? I mainly want a suppressor because my dog is TERRIFIED of guns and fireworks, lots of my neighbors shoot guns quite often and my dog freaks out and cowers in the corner...

Thanks in advance!

That's jumpin' in the deep end of the pool first if you ask me. 10-22's with 22short ammo. would be a good start in my opinion, that would be quiet and inexpensive.

First, what state are you in? Suppressors may not be legal where you are.

10-22's can be had from $180-250 depending on configuration, and they can go in to the thousands if you really bling them up. Plus you need to budget for optics most likely, that can be $100-500 depending on what you like.

Suppressors, if legal are $200-600 and then you need to get a tax stamp from BATFE, which will take you 6weeks to 6mos. depending on their workload, plus, if you are not buying your suppressor inside a trust, your local CLEO(Cheif Law Enforcement Officer) needs to sign off on it.

They are legal in WA State now to own and use(before you could own them and not use them).

.22 short is a small .22, literally short. They used to use them in carnivals and stuff, nice for backyard plinking, in the country where you want to be respectful and not overpenetrate.

.22 long is a bit larger

.22 long rifle(.22LR) is now the standard.

Please note, I've not shot .22short in my 10-22 as it's already relatively quiet. The .22short may not have enough power to cycle the action, so you may have to shoot one shot at a time. But as you are learning and breaking in your dog, single shot may not be a bad thing.

Yes threaded barrels are available from many of the major manufacturers. Personally I went with a Green Mountain barrel. I don't think they are threaded from the factory but I bought ours (mine and my dad's) from a guy that does them for a living. PM me if you want his info as I don't know if he's a sponsor on this site. It was about $180. If you go with a .920" bull barrel, (and I would, as it tends to be more accurate and most 22 suppressors are the same diamater) you'll need an aftermarket stock with a larger barrel channel or bust out the woodworking tools and hog out the factory stock's barrel channel. Make it free floated, so the barrel doesn't contact the stock and ditch the factory barrel clamp. The receiver should be the only point of contact to the stock. That will yield the best accuracy.
I'd also highly recommend a volquartsen trigger pack. These can be had for under $50 (example: Volquartsen Bolt Release Target Hammer Ruger 10/22 SS) and will bring the trigger pull down to a nice 2 1/2lbs versus the factory's extermely stiff 8lb pull that kills accuracy.
There are all kinds of goodies you can put on the rifle (check out the rimfirecentral.com) but those will get you a suppressor ready, very accurate 10/22. You are looking at about $230-$250 on top of the $200 rifle.
Try out differnet brands of subsonic ammo. The 10/22 seems to have a mind of its own for what ammo it likes. Mine works best with CCI subsonic (it also likes eley and other expensive brands but shoots CCI just as accurately for much less $). Without subsonic ammo even with a suppressor you'll get the supersonic crack which is about like a small firecracker going off. Subsonic and with a can the bolt cycling is louder than the shot, and you can hear the bullet smack the target.

The 10/22 is one of those guns that "everyone" should own, it's the standard issue semi-automatic .22 rifle for the masses, great gun. However to address some of your questions directly:

Last I checked, the 10/22 does not offer a threaded muzzle as a factory option, however the 10/22 barrel removes with an allen wrench, even my non-mechanical friends have managed to pimp out their 10/22s. So you can either buy a replacement barrel that's threaded, or you can take your standard factory barrel and have it threaded (Usually about $50-60 most places, also you only have to send the barrel which can be removed with a wrench as I said).

In most cases, if you have the muzzle threaded you will lose your front sight, so putting a scope on it is a more fun option and means you don't need to replace the front sight, also may want to have whoever is doing the work remove the rear sight.

As was stated, suppressors vary, most .22 rimfire cans are fairly cheap and work fairly well, however all suppressors require a $200 tax stamp for transfer, and an ATF form 4. If you're in washington I 100% suggest filing either a trust or a corporation, trust is more permanent and less of a hassle than the corporation, but it must be set up correctly otherwise you could be spending some time in jail. Once you get into NFA stuff, no screwing around.

While I wholly endorse the owning and use of suppressors, I'm not sure your dog should be the only reason :)

Also, CB's, .22 shorts will not cycle the action, and might not even feed from the magazine. If you really want a more quiet gun, look into a bolt action .22. You can usually pick them up used for about $100, but will still need to have the muzzle threaded, which can be more effort depending on the gun.

if you thread your barrel you will lose the front sight. Also, good 'smiths are hard to find and have long backlogs.
If you get a bolt 22lr with a long barrel, like 22" or more , you do not need a suppressor.
Aguila Colibri is very quiet but won't cycle the action.

Get a Ruger 10/22 I-Tac. The barrel is threaded; ATI folding stock; picatinny for scope/dot; front side/lower rails for toys; $320.00 I used BX-25 mags and CCI ammo the other day. Put 300+ rounds through it out of the box without one issue. Have not tried subsonic yet but will try 38g Aquila subs next time out. Just recently learned about the 1/9 twist vs 1/16 for 60g subsonics. Might set up a bolt rifle for those.

Bill Springfield will be lightening up the trigger pull for me for $39.00 including return shipping.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Why in the heck are people trying to argue AGAINST a suppressor?? have you just never shot one or ???
I dunno, maybe because the cost is anywhere between $200-$600, +$200 tax stamp. 22LR is not too loud to start with. This is one where you need to be concerned about cleaning with some frequency, and some are better at it than others, and usually at a steeper price. What else I am missing?

I have several suppressors for several calibers, for both handgun and rifle. I got my 22LR suppressor on the cheap, so I am not complaining. With a long (>~22in) rifle barrel, most of the gas expansion and cooling happens inside the barrel, so there is not much advantage in attaching a suppressor. But, if you also plan to get a threaded 22LR pistol, then, it is really worth your money and trouble.

Dude we're gun nuts on a gun forum who already spend too much $$$ on stuff you don't need. If you spend $600 on a 22lr can you deserve to be slapped though!!! You can find nice 22lr can's for under $500 including transfer. An 18" 10/22 is very nice with a can on it, as is a threaded buckmark or other conversion.

I dunno, maybe because the cost is anywhere between $200-$600, +$200 tax stamp. 22LR is not too loud to start with. This is one where you need to be concerned about cleaning with some frequency, and some are better at it than others, and usually at a steeper price. What else I am missing?

I have several suppressors for several calibers, for both handgun and rifle. I got my 22LR suppressor on the cheap, so I am not complaining. With a long (>~22in) rifle barrel, most of the gas expansion and cooling happens inside the barrel, so there is not much advantage in attaching a suppressor. But, if you also plan to get a threaded 22LR pistol, then, it is really worth your money and trouble.

Why in the heck are people trying to argue AGAINST a suppressor?? have you just never shot one or ???

On the contrary, I am totally for it. I just think before jumping in whole hog(as I am prone to do), I think maybe a step at a time.
1. A suppressor takes MONTHS, a 10-22 is NOW!
2. A 10-22 w/ammo. is like $200, a 10-22 with suppressor is about $1000
3. Maybe the solution is to start the process now and shoot the heck out of the 10-22 while the suppressor is inbound.

22LR is not too loud to start with. .....What else I am missing?
In my opinion the 22lr is too loud to shoot without hearing protection unless is it 22CB in a barrel 16" or greater or some other very low velocity ammo in a barrel greater than 22".

.....so there is not much advantage in attaching a suppressor.
When using supersonic ammo in a suppressed 22lr, there is not a whole lot of advantage due to the bullet flight noise, but when using subsonic ammo while suppressed there is a great advantage. It is completely hearing safe unless shot in a small enclosed room and will not bother anyone nearby as they will probably not recognize the noise as a gunshot.

I love to shoot my wife's suppresssed 10/22 at metal plates 200 yards away. I can squeeze off four rounds before the sound of the first round striking the plate comes back.

Ranb

match1022.jpg

Used 10/22 $200
Scope mount $15
Scope rings $25
Scope $160
Bipod $40
Silencer $20 Does not include numerous attempts at finding a way to make paint (like Duracoat) stick to aluminum
Registration tax $200

Total $660

Average yearly 22lr ammo bill $250

Ranb

Please don't shoot 22lr unsuppressed without hearing protection. It is loud enough to carve away at your hearing. Think about it. Every time you fire you might lose 1/10,000th of your hearing. Not enough to notice, or be painful, but it IS happening.

Don't be one of those guys that thinks it is macho to shoot guns w/o hearing protection.

To each their own I guess. I have a friend who shoots .44 mag w/o hearing protection and thinks 'your ears get used to it'. He won't listen (maybe he can't hear me), so that is his choice. No different than telling a smoker they are killing themselves.

To put it into perspective, I have tinnitus from an idiot deer hunter shooting off a rifle next to my head when I was 13. Just ONE shot changed my life. 24/7 loud ringing in my left ear. Some people suicide themselves over it. Others, like me, adapt. I would pay $500 for one day of silence.

Do what you want, it is your life. If you are careless, or unfortunate enough to shoot around careless people, eventually you will have this to look forward to 24/7, 365, until they put you in the ground. Listen to it for 3:25 and then imagine listening to it constantly, for as long as you live:

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads