JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So... the question is, do I support my friend in his gun sales or get a much better price from a big box store?

I'm going to buy my first hunting rifle soon and my buddy said he can get me a "smoking" deal on a Rem. 770 .30-06 for $369. I'm sure it's smoking for him as he would only be buying 1 unit. I see the same model rifle for $299 everywhere.

Do I help my buddy out for an extra $70 or save some cash?

No, that price is because he'd only be buying 1 unit versus a big store buying 100 units and getting a better deal. Therefore they can pass the savings onto their customers.

SteelyDan, I hadn't thought about it, but is a background check required for purchasing a hunting rifle now? I don't have a problem passing, just didn't realize you needed one for a rifle.

If you are going to buy a 770 you might as well just give the money away, those rifles are a junk!

On a budget of $300-$400 look at a Savage or Weatherby Vanguard package instead.

Does your friend own a gun store? If we all buy guns at big boxes, gun stores would eventually cease to exist. Then we all lose. Does anyone believe that Walmart, Bi-mart, etc. really gives a rip about the second amendment? What they care about is moving unit$ of merchandi$e. If they can $ell more purple widget$ than gun$ from the $ame floor $pace, the gun$ would di$appear.

I'm not bashing the big box stores, that's just the way the world works in a capitalist republic. If you care more about the second amendment than saving a few bucks, support your local gun store.

No store yet. He is working to take over his father's CPA and he sells guns as a side job. As well as owning a karaoke company. He's an "entrepreneur".

He used to sell here, but he had a disagreement with the forum owner and he was removed.

Anyway, if you guys had $500, what would you buy? Need it to work for deer and elk.

If you are going to buy a 770 you might as well just give the money away, those rifles are a junk!

On a budget of $300-$400 look at a Savage or Weatherby Vanguard package instead.

Thanks,I have a rude number and I'm close to it now so I appreciate it when someone else steps up to take my place,lol

I would save some money and buy a Rem 700 a howa,a savage 10,110, or go to a gun show and buy used.
But you are supposed to buy your rifle about 3-4 months ago way before hunting season.
Don't really have much time to practice with it now.
You know,become proficient with the rifle? Hit bubblegum easily?

As somebody who just started with my FFL, and has a VERY hard time matching big box prices, I would say tell you friend where you can get it cheaper, how m,uch, and ask him if he can get close to the price, or if there are other options that come with it.

When I log into my vendor/distributor's catalogs, I get a price break for stocking dealership at around QTY 10 or 15 firearms from a given manufacturer, not hundreds. They don't all have to be the same model, either. So it's expensive for me to become a stocking dealer, but not unreasonable if you want to be come a business and not a hobby.

Or you could comes see the guys at my shop: most definitely not a big box store.

That's a tough one. I've been in a similar situation but since i'm cheap, I went for the cheaper price. Like others have already suggested, I would look into a better rifle. A Remington 700 would be awesome if you could shell out the extra cash.

So... the question is, do I support my friend in his gun sales or get a much better price from a big box store?

Do I help my buddy out for an extra $70 or save some cash?

Since I don't know rifles I'll answer your original question. YES, spend the extra on your buddy. In fact a friend is worth much more than $70. A good friend can last a lifetime. Money is like the wind, it will come and go.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews