Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Supporting a friend

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by fendermallot, Sep 11, 2012.

1. fendermallot

fendermallot Aloha, OR Member

So... the question is, do I support my friend in his gun sales or get a much better price from a big box store?

I'm going to buy my first hunting rifle soon and my buddy said he can get me a "smoking" deal on a Rem. 770 .30-06 for $369. I'm sure it's smoking for him as he would only be buying 1 unit. I see the same model rifle for $299 everywhere.

Do I help my buddy out for an extra $70 or save some cash?

2. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Junction City Active Member

Does that include the background check at his price? I'd say support your buddy and remind him of that when you really want something!

3. huthuthike

huthuthike Hillsboro OR Active Member

Give your friend the facts and see if he explain why $70 more is a smoking deal. Maybe he's getting a scope, ammo or extra accessories at that price? Or not...

4. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

ask him if he price matches haha

5. fendermallot

No, that price is because he'd only be buying 1 unit versus a big store buying 100 units and getting a better deal. Therefore they can pass the savings onto their customers.

SteelyDan, I hadn't thought about it, but is a background check required for purchasing a hunting rifle now? I don't have a problem passing, just didn't realize you needed one for a rifle.

6. fendermallot

and yes, it's a combo set. Comes with a Bushness 3-9x40 scope with full duplex reticles

7. Greenbug

Greenbug Bend Well-Known Member

If you are going to buy a 770 you might as well just give the money away, those rifles are a junk!

On a budget of $300-$400 look at a Savage or Weatherby Vanguard package instead.

8. fendermallot

Like the Savage 111? I saw that at Bi-Mart for $350

9. Greenbug

Greenbug Bend Well-Known Member

That is a decent price and the Savage 111, though ugly, is a hundred times the rifle that the 770 will ever be.

10. pioneer461

pioneer461 Columbia County, Oregon Active Member

Does your friend own a gun store? If we all buy guns at big boxes, gun stores would eventually cease to exist. Then we all lose. Does anyone believe that Walmart, Bi-mart, etc. really gives a rip about the second amendment? What they care about is moving unit$ of merchandi$e. If they can $ell more purple widget$ than gun$ from the $ame floor $pace, the gun$ would di$appear.

I'm not bashing the big box stores, that's just the way the world works in a capitalist republic. If you care more about the second amendment than saving a few bucks, support your local gun store.

carracer and (deleted member) like this.
  11. fendermallot

No store yet. He is working to take over his father's CPA and he sells guns as a side job. As well as owning a karaoke company. He's an "entrepreneur".

He used to sell here, but he had a disagreement with the forum owner and he was removed.

Anyway, if you guys had $500, what would you buy? Need it to work for deer and elk.

12. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Thanks,I have a rude number and I'm close to it now so I appreciate it when someone else steps up to take my place,lol

I would save some money and buy a Rem 700 a howa,a savage 10,110, or go to a gun show and buy used.
    But you are supposed to buy your rifle about 3-4 months ago way before hunting season.
    Don't really have much time to practice with it now.
    You know,become proficient with the rifle? Hit bubblegum easily?

13. fendermallot

I'm not worried about this year. This is for future use. I'm planning way in advance.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

I would tell him that his price sucks.

15. Thebastidge

Thebastidge 10411 NE Fourth Plain Blvd Vancouver WA 98662 Well-Known Member

As somebody who just started with my FFL, and has a VERY hard time matching big box prices, I would say tell you friend where you can get it cheaper, how m,uch, and ask him if he can get close to the price, or if there are other options that come with it.

When I log into my vendor/distributor's catalogs, I get a price break for stocking dealership at around QTY 10 or 15 firearms from a given manufacturer, not hundreds. They don't all have to be the same model, either. So it's expensive for me to become a stocking dealer, but not unreasonable if you want to be come a business and not a hobby.

Or you could comes see the guys at my shop: most definitely not a big box store.

16. Bigbaddude

Bigbaddude West linn Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I would tell him the same thing.
    Go to Bi-Mart.

17. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

little over $500

tikka t3

rem 700

if you want to go really cheap, yet effective, Mosin Nagant.

18. ThemGunsThough

ThemGunsThough RIP City! Well-Known Member

That's a tough one. I've been in a similar situation but since i'm cheap, I went for the cheaper price. Like others have already suggested, I would look into a better rifle. A Remington 700 would be awesome if you could shell out the extra cash.

19. kukusya

kukusya King County Wa Active Member

20. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

Since I don't know rifles I'll answer your original question. YES, spend the extra on your buddy. In fact a friend is worth much more than $70. A good friend can last a lifetime. Money is like the wind, it will come and go.
    Good luck and stay safe,
    Mike

carracer and (deleted member) like this.