JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Oregon has SB503 which will give Oregon Florida style mutual or "quid pro quo" recognition. If a State honors Oregon, they will honor the recognizing State regardless of residency. If you have a "we honor all" or a quid pro quo State, you'll be good in Oregon based on the current text of the bill.

SB503 is sponsored by Oregon Senator Thatcher who is Vice-Chair of the Oregon Senate Judiciary Committee. I see a strong possibility of this passing and it will eliminate my need to renew my Oregon CHL next year. I'll be legal in Oregon on my Utah CFP. When a progun bill is sponsored by a member of a Judiciary Committee especially a high ranking one, it has a good probability of passage. Unfortunately Nevada dropped Oregon from the Nevada CCW recognition list last year during the NV DPS annual CCW recognition audit. My guess is that Oregon failed 24/7 online verification as collateral damage from the scamdemic. Resources were being taken away from maintaining their CCW database because of the scamdemic and thus got dropped. However, there's nothing stopping reinstatement. You Oregonians, ask Oregon DPS why Nevada DPS dropped Oregon recognition in 2020 and what they're doing to do to fix it. Oregon obviously has an online database of their CHLs or they wouldn't have made the Nevada recognition list to begin with.

If you have family or friends in Oregon, encourage them to support this bill. It's high time that Oregon catches up with all of the shall issue States that border Oregon with some sort of reciprocity or recognition. It also wouldn't hurt if you contacted the Oregon Judiciary Committees and tell them one of the reasons you don't visit their State is because you can't legally carry there and that you support this bill and you will support Oregonians right to carry in your State with a valid Oregon CHL. Oregon CHLs are already recognized in Nevada so support from us here in Nevada is pretty much a given. If you have an AZ, FL, UT, WA or one of the many other States would recognize Oregon once this passes, it will benefit you. Idaho and Washington residents will benefit as we will no longer have to make the pilgrimage every four years to an Oregon Sheriff that will issue to them. Quite a few people who live in States that border Oregon happen to work in Oregon especially if they live across the Columbia River in WA State. If you can, toss a few shekels to the Oregon Firearms Federation. I'm going to donate next year's Oregon CHL renewal fee to them as thanks should this bill pass.

Oh boy this would be nice! Good luck!
This will benefit you if you have a WA CPL has the only reason WA doesn't recognize OR is that OR doesn't exercise mutual recognition or reciprocity. It's in your best interest if you visit Oregon regularly to have this bill pass as you won't have to get an OR CHL anymore. You'll be good CCWing in Oregon with your WA CPL. Show your support as well for this bill. While you're not an Oregonian, I'm sure the Oregon legislature would love to hear on the out of State support of this bill and our support of valid OR CHL holders to legally CCW in our States. Reciprocity and recognition bills affect everyone nationwide. Since you're local is SW WA, you probably visit Oregon regularly. Do what you can to spark support for this bill both by Oregonians and everyone else. It affects everyone. SB503 is fair, the Oregon legislature is doing what's best for Oregonians. I respect that.

I'm opening up a dialogue with Oregon Senate Judiciary Vice Chair Thatcher to see if she can get some answers as to why Nevada dropped Oregon. I'm guessing it's a shift of IT resources for OR CHL out of State 24/7 verification that caused them to fail the NV CCW recognition audit two years in a row. We've seen a lot of collateral damage of the scamdemic with respect to government resource allocation. I'm a very strong advocate for reciprocity and recognition.

I don't see the liberal anti gun legislature ever passing any bill to expand gun rights.
As a matter of fact, the Oregon legislature just passed legislation (& signed into law) granting local jurisdictions the ability to enact their own gun law restrictions that'll even affect CHL holders who used to be exempt from local BS anti-2A ordinances.

As a matter of fact, the Oregon legislature just passed legislation (& signed into law) granting local jurisdictions the ability to enact their own gun law restrictions that'll even affect CHL holders who used to be exempt from local BS anti-2A ordinances.
If Oregon got rid of State preemption then SB503 is for all practical purposes useless. We know which jurisdictions are going to not follow State prohibited areas. We almost had that pass here in Nevada this past legislative session. We did, however, have AB286 pass which outlaws "unfinished firearms" which means stripped serialized and 80% receivers, caliber conversion kits and gun parts are illegal.. The Firearm Policy Coalition is challenging it in Federal court. The problem with Nevada and Oregon is that liberals with California politics are trying to Californicate the States.

The only bill that passed from what I can see is SB554 which furthers neuters Oregon CHL holders of airport non-sterile areas, government buildings, universities and K-12 schools to CHL holders. When I got my initial Oregon CHL in 2010, those were not prohibited areas. The bills regarding State preemption haven't passed yet. One of the reasons Oregon has never had a mass massacre is because employees could legally carry there if they had an Oregon CHL. Oregon use to be very similar, if not better than Utah. Now that's a thing of the past.

Since the California assault weapons ban and magazine capacity restrictions are being successfully challenged in the 9th circuit (which is surprising), Nevada AB286 can be successfully overturned. Right now it's a tug of war in the 9th Circuit and probably will have to go to SCOTUS. The Appellate Court is blocking the original ruling overturning the CA AWB.

the only reason WA doesn't recognize OR is that OR doesn't exercise mutual recognition or reciprocity.
You could replace WA with a LOT of states. OR is such an a-hole when it comes to respecting other states' permits, it'll take years for those states to change their respective laws to make this work for us.

But, the journey of a thousand miles starts with progressive politicians getting their rich, well-fed keisters out of the way... or something like that.

I'm FOR it. It'll never pass.
And, as you said, with OR legislators voluntarily ceding their authority to every municipal dimwit with an anti gun bias, it would mostly serve to fill the jails with out of state visitors.

You could replace WA with a LOT of states. OR is such an a-hole when it comes to respecting other states' permits, it'll take years for those states to change their respective laws to make this work for us.

But, the journey of a thousand miles starts with progressive politicians getting their rich, well-fed keisters out of the way... or something like that.

I'm FOR it. It'll never pass.
And, as you said, with OR legislators voluntarily ceding their authority to every municipal dimwit with an anti gun bias, it would mostly serve to fill the jails with out of state visitors.
What do you expect from a State that has the third highest income tax rate in the USA? OR use to be second until the HI legislature voted for a State income tax increase which now makes them second and OR got bumped down to third. OR is also very fixed and retirement income hostile. I won't live in a State with a State income tax being that I'm on a fixed income disability retirement and I'm not permitted to work as I receive my retirement benefit from NVPERS.

The only good things about OR are;
  • Beer and wine capital of the USA
  • No sales tax; but that may change. With loss of gun rights typically comes tax increases or another tax along with gov't censorship.
  • Shall issue CHL (for residents)
  • Thunder Ranch; however Clint Smith has been holding satellite classes in southern Nevada two or three times a year.
  • Able to shoot on your own land if it's outside of city's urban growth boundary.
Granted I haven't checked the last item, it wouldn't surprise me if the liberal OR legislature got rid of that perk. I'm not too thrilled about the beaches as the Pacific Ocean is cold and it gets colder the farther north you go. If I want to go to the beach, I'll go to a Gulf (of Mexico) or southeastern State; the Atlantic Ocean is much warmer than the Pacific. I grew up in San Diego, CA; father was retired USN with his final station at the time of his honorable discharge being the 32nd Street Naval Station in San Diego. I hated the Pacific Ocean which was one of the reasons I left CA for NV back in 1992.

It won't hurt to call, e-mail, FAX or write that you want SB503 to pass. It still could happen. Many Oregonians want some sort of reciprocity or recognition so resident CHLs will be honored in more States.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top