JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The probability of me signing up for a "whitehouse.gov" account is less than zero. I haven't really liked or trusted any resident of the White House in decades and don't see anyone in the current crop of wannabes that might make me change my mind. I guess I really don't want the White House in direct contact with My House... so I'll pass on this one.

The probability of me signing up for a "whitehouse.gov" account is less than zero. I haven't really liked or trusted any resident of the White House in decades and don't see anyone in the current crop of wannabes that might make me change my mind. I guess I really don't want the White House in direct contact with My House... so I'll pass on this one.

Same here.

Nope

Don't think it's a good idea to have the feds controlling our gun rights,or having another way to harvest more info

Just leave it to the states to handle.Most of the states that don't honor my WA or Utah permits,I don't really care for anyway.

Hey how about those that travel a lot worry about changing the laws of the state they travel to most?

Or travel to the states with good gun laws.
Kind of like voting with your feet (moving to places that have like minded people living there).

But leave it out of the feds' hands

This is a tough one for me: protecting federalism v. my right to carry. mjbskwim, I see your point but sometimes, it is hard to avoid going where you would rather not. I can't carry at work, can't carry while driving to and from work, can't carry when I travel to Kali, which I have to do often because of work.

On the other hand, signing up in a .gov site seems a small price. Name, email and zipcode is nothing compared to what they already have on me since I was born, got my SS, file taxes or even each time I submit a NFA Form to BATFE. Remember that the latter clowns are already under the the Executive.

Our gun rights are already a federal issue. Allowing states to do what they do is why we have the 2nd amendment mess we have in New York, Illinois, California, etc.

Just like how my driver's license is honored in every other state, so should my concealed handgun license.

It's still a violation of the tenth amendment. It's still a bad idea. -And yes, it still won't get signed by Obama.

This is a political, not a substantial bill. Don't fall for window-dressing. There are plenty of anti-control measures that actually fit constitutional muster. -This isn't one of them.

As I said on a previous post/thread, if I have to choose between the 2nd and the 10th, I choose the 2nd. If Obama signs 822, I expect:
* several states demanding other states to rise their standards to closely match their own higher standards or else, s
* some out-of-state CHL/CCW holders may get arrested anyways just because,
*states like Kali will take it to the Federal courts.
Will be a mess for a while. But we have to stay the course.

California,NJ,NY,Massachusetts will all have it in court for years.Probably Oregon ,too
And yes the cops will be told to still arrest you for now,just to make sure it's your permit
And it will entail finger printing so all states can identify you after you are detained.
Heck go read the thread about the Oregon MC cop who made up her own rules.

I doubt it will ever come to fruition and I'm still not sure I want it to get started

Just in case no one else has already posted it somewhere, here you go:
H.R. 822

The Congress finds the following:

(1) The Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States protects the fundamental right of an individual to keep and bear arms, including for purposes of individual self-defense.

(2) The Supreme Court of the United States has recognized this right in the case of District of Columbia v. Heller, and in the case of McDonald v. City of Chicago, has recognized that the right is protected against State infringement by the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

(3) The Congress has the power to pass legislation to protect against infringement of all rights protected under the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

(4) The right to bear arms includes the right to carry arms for self-defense and the defense of others.

(5) The Congress has enacted legislation of national scope authorizing the carrying of concealed firearms by qualified active and retired law enforcement officers.

(6) Forty-eight States provide by statute for the issuance to individuals of permits to carry concealed firearms, or allow the carrying of concealed firearms for lawful purposes without the need for a permit.

(7) The overwhelming majority of individuals who exercise the right to carry firearms in their own States and other States have proven to be law-abiding, and such carrying has been demonstrated to provide crime prevention or crime resistance benefits for the licensees and for others.

(8) The Congress finds that preventing the lawful carrying of firearms by individuals who are traveling outside their home State interferes with the constitutional right of interstate travel, and harms interstate commerce.

(9) Among the purposes of this Act is the protection of the rights, privileges, and immunities guaranteed to a citizen of the United States by the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

(10) The Congress, therefore, should provide for national recognition, in States that issue to their own citizens licenses or permits to carry concealed handguns, of other State permits or licenses to carry concealed handguns.

SEC. 3. RECIPROCITY FOR THE CARRYING OF CERTAIN CONCEALED FIREARMS.

(a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926C the following:

`Sec. 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms

`(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, related to the carrying or transportation of firearms, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that--

`(1) has a statute that allows residents of the State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms; or

`(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms by residents of the State for lawful purposes.

`(b) A person carrying a concealed handgun under this section shall be permitted to carry a handgun subject to the same conditions or limitations that apply to residents of the State who have permits issued by the State or are otherwise lawfully allowed to do so by the State.

`(c) In a State that allows the issuing authority for licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms to impose restrictions on the carrying of firearms by individual holders of such licenses or permits, a firearm shall be carried according to the same terms authorized by an unrestricted license or permit issued to a resident of the State.

`(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to preempt any provision of State law with respect to the issuance of licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms.'.

(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for such chapter is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926C the following:

`926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms.'.

(c) Severability- Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, if any provision of this section, or any amendment made by this section, or the application of such provision or amendment to any person or circumstance is held to be unconstitutional, this section and amendments made by this section and the application of such provision or amendment to other persons or circumstances shall not be affected thereby.

(d) Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall take effect 90 days after the date of the enactment of this Act.

So civilian75,are you going to be the first to go to jail and fight this in every state?
Cause that's what will happen in the states I mentioned above.
They arrest you,they hold you till you raise bail,then they either make you an example or just take $10-20k of your funds to fight it

If it passes.somebody better organize a road trip with a bunch or CC lawyers that want to challenge it
But how? Concealed means concealed ,right? So it would only come down to when an individual needs to use their weapon.
That's when your individual S would HTF and you would go to jail for brandishing and or illegal CC in said state.Not to mention what would happen if you actually killed the MF that started the whole thing.

Sure,sure you would eventually be released and some charges dropped,but it will cost a ton of grief and will take a lot of change before the states like California just back down and accept the law.

This is really nothing like a CDL ,where the OTR truck drivers are most definitely needed for interstate commerce.
Those states probably don't care about the small numbers of people they effect in the CCW category.
Heck,they're going to come or go anyway,carry permit or not.

Whether you like that bill or not,you gotta love this part all by itself:

The Congress finds the following:

(1) The Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States protects the fundamental right of an individual to keep and bear arms

Showdown looming on national concealed carry

Next Tuesday, Nov. 15, the U.S. House of Representatives is scheduled to vote on legislation that would require all states to honor the concealed carry licenses or permits issued by other states, and the bill – H.R. 822 – is taking fire from certain corners on both sides.

<broken link removed>

False alarms over nat’l CCW legislation only help anti-gunners

This week, perhaps as early as Tuesday, the House of Representatives will vote on HR 822, the National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011, and hysteria about this legislation is not merely coming from the usual gun prohibitionist corners.

<broken link removed>

I'll let it slip away
Keep the feds out of this

You definately do not understand the intent of this legislation. The feds have told no-one to do anything, except treat a CPL the same way they treat an automobile drivers license. Nothing more, nothing less. An automobile is a much more dangerous weapon than a firearm, yet all of the states agreed to recognize the others license to operate...now, with firearms, the states can't seem to get this same type of agreement done.

Anything you have heard that is against this legislation, I do not care where it came from, originated in the anti 2A movement. There is no attempt to control here. There is an attempt to make travel as save in your state, and any other state you may wish to visit. read the history of the Sullivan laws in NY...you will see what I am talking about.

I am suprised so many gun advocates are so against a uniform acceptance of CHL nationwide. It would sure beat having to get a CHL from WA, ID, OR, UT just so we can carry in (most) states. I personally like the idea that my CPL from WA would carry over to far away places like OR and ID... Just my opinion though...

I am suprised so many gun advocates are so against a uniform acceptance of CHL nationwide. It would sure beat having to get a CHL from WA, ID, OR, UT just so we can carry in (most) states. I personally like the idea that my CPL from WA would carry over to far away places like OR and ID... Just my opinion though...

As A WA CPL holder, you are already ok in ID, though ID is not ok in WA...but then, of course, OR is their own beast and acknowlegde no-one but themselves.

Sure, passage of this bill would get you some (temporary) convenience. But long-term I think it is a trojan horse.

Step 1: Pass this bill. CPL permits issued by states are federally forced to be recognized by other states. You pay a fee and go through various registration/checks/training to exercise your right to carry. (For which other rights do you need to go through this process?)

Step 2: Federal Standards update to ensure that all of the CPL's that the states are issuing meet "Federal Standards". These new standards are more restrictive than most existing state standards. There is now a Federal fee too. Oh, by the way, the Feds now "need" to keep track of the CPL's because their standards and fees are being used.

Step 3: Most states ban open-carry and just have carry with CPL's.

Step 4: A CPL is required to buy a gun or ammo.

Step 5: A CPL is required for EACH gun you intend to carry. The fees are increased too.

At the end of the process, you have national registration of guns, registration of people carrying guns, higher fees, no open-carry, and permits are as hard to get as they are in CA. I don't think we want this. It is not in our best interests to trade a little short-term convenience of CPL reciprocity for federal participation in the handgun carry-license process. (A process that should not even exist!)

This entire bill is designed to reinforce the concept of requiring a license in order to carry a gun. We should all be against that concept.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top