JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Dear All - some of you here know me, at least by reputation, so you'll know that I'm not, by nature, a whiney Brit. In fact, I'm only 1/8th a Brit, although that's not the point here.

I rarely, if ever, have asked the membership here for anything in the few years or so I've been a member of this great forum, but I'm asking now.

I'm asking you to sign up to the poll on the oireachtas.ie site, offering support to sporting and competitive LEGAL shooters in the Republic of Ireland who are a gnat's f*rt away from having all legal civilian shooting banned. The thread on www.airgunbbs.com is called Eire needs our help - <broken link removed>

Here is the link to the poll itself - http://www.sportscoalition.org/

Although I live mostly in England [I'm a retired senior Army officer], I am also the current president of the Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland [www.vcrai.com]. Our members, mostly Irish ex-PDF shoot mainly ex-military stuff with which you are doubtless as familiar as I am, however, the proposed 'revisions' to already draconian laws would serve to destroy sporting and competitive shooting in Ireland for EVERY kind of shooting.

I'd be grateful if you could pass this request round your shooting circle.

Best Regards to all here, and thank you for reading this post.

tac foley

Last Edited:
In case you are wondering what this is all about, a fellow poster on boards.ie has summed it all up here. Please note that the Gardaí are An Garda Sióchána, the national police force of the Republic of Ireland. Ireland being the rural contry it is, each count - and there are 26 of them - has a Garda Superintendent in charge of law and order. He is THE first and last word on whether or not you obtain a license for your gun, as in Ireland it is the gun that is licensed, and not the individual. Four guns = four separate gun licenses.

Here's the gist of it all -

'The Gardaí are proposing unfair legislation that will ban all target shooting handguns larger than .22lr. They are proposing legislation that will revoke all existing licences for such handguns, confiscate them and pay no compensation whatsoever to their law abiding owners.

This legislation would also do the same to every owner of a pump action shotgun or a semi auto shotgun.

It also applies to owners of semi automatic rifle owners. These are mainly used in target shooting, vintage competitions etc.

These proposals would also ban all .22lr handguns apart from ones that the Gardaí approve. Approx 90% + of .22lr handguns that we use in competition today could be subject to this ban.

The Gardaí are also proposing to give themselves the power to blanket ban all guns in their district should they wish to do so. Under this proposal, the Gardaí would simply declare their area high crime and thus be able to refuse to issue any firearms certs.

This is open to widespread abuse. You could be the most law abiding citizen in the state, with a genuine need for the firearm, and be refused because of the area that you live in.

There are lots of other proposals but it would take a month to fully discuss them.

Why are the Gardaí pushing these proposals?

To be honest, I don't know. They cite crime reduction and public safety. I don't believe that.

How will removing guns from law abiding target shooters lower crime? We aren't going around doing 'gangland hits' or armed robberies with our firearms so banning them won't lower crime statistics. Criminals don't have licences so this legislation won't affect them in the slightest. It will only punish law abiding target shooters.

I hate saying this but for the past number of years, some of the Gardaí haven't been applying the law correctly [no sh*, Sherlock?]when it came to firearms licencing. This resulted in lots of appeals (over 600) by target shooters to the courts, and over 90% of these found in favour of the target shooter. Maybe these proposals have something to do with that.

The third question you asked, reasonable reasons against.

I am not a criminal, I am a law abiding citizen who takes part in a sport called target shooting. It's a worldwide legitimate sport that's even in the Olympics. I'm vetted by An Garda Síochána to ensure I am of good character, sound mind etc. I even give them access to my medical history etc etc. I only use my firearms on a Garda authorised range and keep my firearms locked away in a BS7558 standard safe when not in use. My house is fitted with cameras and a monitored alarm. I have done numerous safety courses and am a qualified Range Safety Officer.

How am I a criminal or a danger to public safety?

All these proposals will do is punish me because I am a law abiding licence holder. It won't affect the scumbag criminals, they don't have licences."

Thanks to the poster on boards.ie

tac

In case you are wondering what this is all about, a fellow poster on boards.ie has summed it all up here. Please note that the Gardaí are An Garda Sióchána, the national police force of the Republic of Ireland. Ireland being the rural contry it is, each count - and there are 26 of them - has a Garda Superintendent in charge of law and order. He is THE first and last word on whether or not you obtain a license for your gun, as in Ireland it is the gun that is licensed, and not the individual. Four guns = four separate gun licenses.

'The Gardaí are proposing unfair legislation that will ban all target shooting handguns larger than .22lr. They are proposing legislation that will revoke all existing licences for such handguns, confiscate them and pay no compensation whatsoever to their law abiding owners.

This legislation would also do the same to every owner of a pump action shotgun or a semi auto shotgun.

It also applies to owners of semi automatic rifle owners. These are mainly used in target shooting, vintage competitions etc.

These proposals would also ban all .22lr handguns apart from ones that the Gardaí approve. Approx 90% + of .22lr handguns that we use in competition today could be subject to this ban.

The Gardaí are also proposing to give themselves the power to blanket ban all guns in their district should they wish to do so. Under this proposal, the Gardaí would simply declare their area high crime and thus be able to refuse to issue any firearms certs.

This is open to widespread abuse. You could be the most law abiding citizen in the state, with a genuine need for the firearm, and be refused because of the area that you live in.

There are lots of other proposals but it would take a month to fully discuss them.

To be honest, I don't know. They cite crime reduction and public safety. I don't believe that.

How will removing guns from law abiding target shooters lower crime? We aren't going around doing 'gangland hits' or armed robberies with our firearms so banning them won't lower crime statistics. Criminals don't have licences so this legislation won't affect them in the slightest. It will only punish law abiding target shooters.

I hate saying this but for the past number of years, some of the Gardaí haven't been applying the law correctly [no sh*, Sherlock?]when it came to firearms licencing. This resulted in lots of appeals (over 600) by target shooters to the courts, and over 90% of these found in favour of the target shooter. Maybe these proposals have something to do with that.

I am not a criminal, I am a law abiding citizen who takes part in a sport called target shooting. It's a worldwide legitimate sport that's even in the Olympics. I'm vetted by An Garda Síochána to ensure I am of good character, sound mind etc. I even give them access to my medical history etc etc. I only use my firearms on a Garda authorised range and keep my firearms locked away in a BS7558 standard safe when not in use. My house is fitted with cameras and a monitored alarm. I have done numerous safety courses and am a qualified Range Safety Officer.

All these proposals will do is punish me because I am a law abiding licence holder. It won't affect the scumbag criminals, they don't have licences."

tac
Sadly, fast forward 20 years and this could be a thread about America... except what country would it be soliciting help from? Amazing, simply amazing. This is how it's done, bit by bit, nick by nick... until one day you wake up and ask yourself WTF just happened.

tac

Owning a firearm, makes you a danger to the Government.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top