JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I welded a second catalytic converter to my 79 Dodge Aspen & it passed like a champ, in AZ
It wasn't an issue with cats (none needed for a '74). The factory air injection system had been removed and replaced with headers, as well as an Edelbrock intake and carb.

The car ran better than new, and even passed the sniffer test better than new. It failed on the "visual" inspection because the original useless smog equipment had been removed.

Way to go CA. The car as modified was creating LESS pollution, but you still wanted me to return all the useless crap that was on it from the factory so it would run worse and pollute more, but meet the requirements of some bureaucrats.

CA can suck it!

from https://forwardobserver.com this morning:

GLOBAL FERTILIZER SHORTAGE: The world is on the verge of a crisis that could cause severe food shortages, skyrocketing food prices and transportation costs. Building on previous DailySA reporting, there's currently a worldwide shortage of the chemical urea, which is a key ingredient in fertilizer and a primary component of AdBlue – a chemical used in diesel engines to mitigate harmful pollutants in engine exhaust. Countries continue panic buying urea after China and Russia, the world's largest exporters of urea, restricted its export last month in order to increase its domestic supply. (AC: Urea shortages could have the double-impact of driving up food prices and transportation costs associated with food distribution – a potentially critical supply-chain fracture with a global impact.- M.M.)

from https://forwardobserver.com this morning:

GLOBAL FERTILIZER SHORTAGE: The world is on the verge of a crisis that could cause severe food shortages, skyrocketing food prices and transportation costs. Building on previous DailySA reporting, there's currently a worldwide shortage of the chemical urea, which is a key ingredient in fertilizer and a primary component of AdBlue – a chemical used in diesel engines to mitigate harmful pollutants in engine exhaust. Countries continue panic buying urea after China and Russia, the world's largest exporters of urea, restricted its export last month in order to increase its domestic supply. (AC: Urea shortages could have the double-impact of driving up food prices and transportation costs associated with food distribution – a potentially critical supply-chain fracture with a global impact.- M.M.)
Great, now there's going to be another excuse for DEF price gouging. Guess I should buy a barrel of it now.

Fortunately my truck ('97 12V Cummins) doesn't need DEF or ULSD
Unfortunately, mine does. '13 F350

Using DEF is not as big of a deal as everyone wants to make it out to be, I actually like that my truck isn't a rattle box and doesn't spew black smoke, but just one more thing "they" are going to jack the price up on that we as consumers have to eat.

This will affect everyone, whether their vehicle uses DEF or not. Most commercial trucks require it now. Even some farm tractors require it (luckily mine doesn't). If you eat anything from a grocery store, you're going to pay more. Maybe not a significant amount on it's own, but just another incremental bump on top of all the others in what it costs to live.

Unfortunately, mine does. '13 F350

Using DEF is not as big of a deal as everyone wants to make it out to be, I actually like that my truck isn't a rattle box and doesn't spew black smoke, but just one more thing "they" are going to jack the price up on that we as consumers have to eat.

This will affect everyone, whether their vehicle uses DEF or not. Most commercial trucks require it now. Even some farm tractors require it (luckily mine doesn't). If you eat anything from a grocery store, you're going to pay more. Maybe not a significant amount on it's own, but just another incremental bump on top of all the others in what it costs to live.
Oh yes, it will affect everyone with regards to shipping costs/etc.

The thing is, on some (all?) of the diesel vehicles that run DEF, they require DEF such that they will refuse to run (at full power) if the DEF isn't supplied? IIRC.

My diesel truck is mostly run on my property, and I drive it on the road maybe once or twice a year. I use a tank of fuel maybe every 5 years or so. So not worried about my contribution to smog - yet (plan to convert it to an RV).

IIRC - the Portland metro area is looking at (has passed) an ordinance regarding older diesel vehicles in the metro area?

Oh yes, it will affect everyone with regards to shipping costs/etc.

The thing is, on some (all?) of the diesel vehicles that run DEF, they require DEF such that they will refuse to run (at full power) if the DEF isn't supplied? IIRC.

My diesel truck is mostly run on my property, and I drive it on the road maybe once or twice a year. I use a tank of fuel maybe every 5 years or so. So not worried about my contribution to smog - yet (plan to convert it to an RV).

IIRC - the Portland metro area is looking at (has passed) an ordinance regarding older diesel vehicles in the metro area?
Yes, for mine, it will give you a 500 mile warning, if you don't refill, it will set the speed governor to 50mph. I've never let it get to that point. Even heading back from MT, 500 miles is more than enough for me to get somewhere and pick up a couple gallons, even when pulling the trailer. I get roughly 7000 miles between DEF fill ups. Not really a huge deal.

I did some research into the SCR/DEF stuff a long time ago before I bought the truck. It's mostly window dressing. They may be a SLIGHT reduction in tailpipe emissions, but it's mostly there to make it so the Prius drivers can't see the "horrible pollution" coming from diesel engines. I don't have a problem with reducing that black smoke, but I do have a problem with how it was forced upon manufacturers to implement under the guise of environmentalism via Obama's CAFE standards.

The biggest downside to me is it's a bunch of expensive parts I'll have to replace when it craps out eventually.

Yeah, I am thinking more along the lines of SHTF; the truck would probably become a lot more useful if SHTF. :s0092:

A well tuned diesel should not be putting out black smoke, whether it has pollution controls or not - mine does not.

Glad I got double prescribed on my heart meds. Have close to 6 months worth.
Just ordered refills on my heart meds and muscle relaxants. A couple of those refills are 90 days - especially the Imdur (not supposed to stop taking it). I have between 6 months and one year of prescription meds. Two plus years of GERD meds. I use Amazon as my pharmacy so I think they may do better if there is a shortage - we shall see.

Prob not bad with a drizzle of gutter butter and a cup of kopi luwak.

Fricken-A man. $35.00/ounce on Amazon!

Great Christmas gift for the relative/neighbor, that you don't like! Repackage the stuff in festive Christmas wrap or nice for the kitchen counter air tight container. Tell 'em a couple weeks later what it is/was.
SNORK. :s0140:
Kopi luwak is highly overrated. My kids got me some for X-mas a few years back. Couldn't detect any flavor difference between that and your average premium coffee from the supermarket. Totally underwhelming. :(

Kopi luwak is highly overrated. My kids got me some for X-mas a few years back. Couldn't detect any flavor difference between that and your average premium coffee from the supermarket. Totally underwhelming. :(
Mebbe your coffee from the supermarket had been eaten and crapped out by the local stray cats, and you're just used to the taste...? o_O

:s0111: :D :s0087:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads