JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
6 years ago, after I had been unemployed for nearly a year, I was looking into anything and everything. I had just turned 40 at the time.

I kept hearing all the different trucking industry job ads where "no experience necessary, we'll train you to get your CDL". Perfect, I applied to every single one I could find.

Crickets. I remember 2 callbacks, both of which resulted in a bunch of empty promises. Never once got an in-person interview.

They didn't want the old guy at the time, but I bet they would be all over me now. bubblegum 'em. They are reaping what they have sewn for decades now.

Nobody wants to work bubblegum hours, wages and deal with nonsense government regulations and requirements to do a simple job when McDonald's will pay you more to get orders wrong and you get to be home every night.

Sobo, I have that REI card, but generally can't bring myself to use it. I too pay in full monthly, and my other card pays slightly more, but I like the thought of using the REI card for gun items. I've only used the REI card in competing stores such as Mountain Shop, Sierra, Cabelas, Backcountry etc etc.

I like your style though. I may have to reconsider....

The whole " just in time delivery"scheme relies on everything meshing just right. As we see now, when things don't go well it all falls apart.
No one has mentioned anything about California rules on trucks allowed in the state or at the ports, limiting the number of carriers. Last I heard you were required to have a MY 2010 or newer engine in your truck. That was a few years ago, likely it's changed. The big goal is to have zero emissions semi's by 2024 iirc. Unrealistic goals are the norm, but they feel all warm and fuzzy.
Just heard recently they are importing tons of crude from Ecuador, right out of the amazon rainforest. Destroying it in the process. Hypocritical turds.

If they really wanted to move goods they would have built a railway system to haul containers away. For some reason they picked slow trucking to move good with hundreds of motors running compared to 2 train motors to move the same stuff.

The whole " just in time delivery"scheme relies on everything meshing just right. As we see now, when things don't go well it all falls apart.
No one has mentioned anything about California rules on trucks allowed in the state or at the ports, limiting the number of carriers. Last I heard you were required to have a MY 2010 or newer engine in your truck. That was a few years ago, likely it's changed. The big goal is to have zero emissions semi's by 2024 iirc. Unrealistic goals are the norm, but they feel all warm and fuzzy.
Just heard recently they are importing tons of crude from Ecuador, right out of the amazon rainforest. Destroying it in the process. Hypocritical turds.
The trucks at the big CA ports (especially San Diego) are usually required to be zero emissions or close to it - electric, CNG, etc.

Those trucks move the cargo out of that area and then the OTR trucks move it from there. But the big truck manufacturers are moving to electrics.

The trucks at the big CA ports (especially San Diego) are usually required to be zero emissions or close to it - electric, CNG, etc.

Those trucks move the cargo out of that area and then the OTR trucks move it from there. But the big truck manufacturers are moving to electrics.
With no improvements in electrical generation. Indeed, they're reducing capacity daily. It's all part of the plan for total reliance upon the government.

With no improvements in electrical generation. Indeed, they're reducing capacity daily. It's all part of the plan for total reliance upon the government.
Yeah, I love how we are destroying our current grid, under the assumption that the new grid, sometime in the distant future will work great. What are we supposed to do in the mean-time? Oh yeah, brown and black outs.

Seems like half the rest of the country is trying to out California California.
California is such a large part of the economy that if they set a new emission standard cars can't meet, the industry will usually get busy and do the research to make it possible. Once the lower polluting cars or trucks exist, then other states tend to pass laws requiring them too. So in effect California can alone set the agenda for car/truck safety and emission standards for the entire country and often sets them higher than any federal requirements. If Oregon tried to set an emission standard that required performance that didn't exist yet, it wouldn't work. The vehicle manufacturers would simply blow off the OR market and continue happily claiming lower emissions were impossible and making no attempts to improve. The upside of CA being able to set agenda is that without serious pressure, US manufacturers would mostly prefer to do nothing to reduce emissions. The down size is that CA may set standards that are impossible to meet in the given time. Or the new tech can be much too expensive.

I think CA needs a law or sub law that allows them to temporarily cancel emissions requirements in a transportation emergency and automatically cancel them in a disaster of any sort. That would at least allow the entire US truck fleet to service California.

However, trucking companies can't refuse to pay drivers for the times they wait in line, either. Not when it can be hours.

California is such a large part of the economy that if they set a new emission standard cars can't meet, the industry will usually get busy and do the research to make it possible. Once the lower polluting cars or trucks exist, then other states tend to pass laws requiring them too. So in effect California can alone set the agenda for car/truck safety and emission standards for the entire country and often sets them higher than any federal requirements. If Oregon tried to set an emission standard that required performance that didn't exist yet, it wouldn't work. The vehicle manufacturers would simply blow off the OR market and continue happily claiming lower emissions were impossible and making no attempts to improve. The upside of CA being able to set agenda is that without serious pressure, US manufacturers would mostly prefer to do nothing to reduce emissions. The down size is that CA may set standards that are impossible to meet in the given time. Or the new tech can be much too expensive.

I think CA needs a law or sub law that allows them to temporarily cancel emissions requirements in a transportation emergency and automatically cancel them in a disaster of any sort. That would at least allow the entire US truck fleet to service California.

However, trucking companies can't refuse to pay drivers for the times they wait in line, either. Not when it can be hours.
I'm all too familiar with CA Smog laws. My '74 Nova fell victim to CARB standards, even though it passed the sniffer test.

I don't care what the excuse is, CA can suck it!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top