JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
coming out of the 70's I worked in plywood and sawmills. The Left took the west coast through economic starvation of the industries that hard working men did. The Weyerhaeuser's bid timber prices on public lands so high independents went broke trying to run logs costing more than the finished products made. The big guys milled their private timber that they get tax breaks on and now charge us to use while the little and medium companies went broke. The Government then allowed the big companies to renegotiate the overpriced timber they had been holding at no cost to themselves. the fishing industry was attacked and crippled, ranching has been curtailed and now you need a permit to use the Kings Forest! We have been letting the left take our bubblegum my whole life, now they have a generation of people my daughters age who have been brainwashed HARD in High school and University. The division sowed is at a Maoist level because it was designed by Maoist disciples. They made convincing arguments to the country about crippling the middle class in the PNW and look at us now. I'm more than a little ashamed I was so busy trying to get ahead I did Little or nothing to prevent this.

"Hard Men Make Easy Times, Easy Times Make Soft Men, Soft Men Make Hard Times and Hard Times Make Hard Men"!

coming out of the 70's I worked in plywood and sawmills. The Left took the west coast through economic starvation of the industries that hard working men did. The Weyerhaeuser's bid timber prices on public lands so high independents went broke trying to run logs costing more than the finished products made. The big guys milled their private timber that they get tax breaks on and now charge us to use while the little and medium companies went broke. The Government then allowed the big companies to renegotiate the overpriced timber they had been holding at no cost to themselves. the fishing industry was attacked and crippled, ranching has been curtailed and now you need a permit to use the Kings Forest! We have been letting the left take our bubblegum my whole life, now they have a generation of people my daughters age who have been brainwashed HARD in High school and University. The division sowed is at a Maoist level because it was designed by Maoist disciples. They made convincing arguments to the country about crippling the middle class in the PNW and look at us now. I'm more than a little ashamed I was so busy trying to get ahead I did Little or nothing to prevent this.

"Hard Men Make Easy Times, Easy Times Make Soft Men, Soft Men Make Hard Times and Hard Times Make Hard Men"!
Those days were the test ground for government tyranny in the USA. From the spotted owl came mail in ballots and 30 years of one party rule.

Maoism is instructive IMO in that a social structure much older than ours was uprooted for a generation by it. Ours has been around a few hundred years; theirs had been around for a few thousand.

Read a good (IMO) analysis of current Chinese politics that argues the reaction to Maoist chaos in the 50s-70s is a return to the older social structure. With modern trappings of course.

But I don't underestimate the ability of new systems (eg, wokeness) to f things up for a long time.

Looks like we lost 25% of the value of a dollar this year as Dollar tree has said they are raising prices 25% in 2022. The supply chain will get expensive if every other company follows suit.

The Government then allowed the big companies to renegotiate
Their patchwork of properties into giant swaths of land, but with the huge tax breaks came the promise of allowing hunters, fisherman, recreationalists in general, to access these lands that were once public.........Sorry, getting off topic here.

Their patchwork of properties into giant swaths of land, but with the huge tax breaks came the promise of allowing hunters, fisherman, recreationalists in general, to access these lands that were once public.........Sorry, getting off topic here.
Locked Gates were for experimental forest areas. The Men who built those companies are rotating in their graves as they never considered keeping us out of the woods. The corporate shareholders look for every nickel and no humanity.

Had a conversation with a relative over the holiday. Have mentioned him before.

He's a well compensated non-management type; he doesn't tell others what to do, he knows how to do things. Though he is tapped to train new people – couple of stories about the young new hires are sad, funny and jaw dropping. Whole other thread. Anyway, he deals with logistics a lot, tho it's not actually in his job description. Jotted down notes from our half hour long discussion:

Ports: The backup is still with us, and not ending soon. Tho he can't really tell; he says he's come to ignore "trends" for that. There are so many variables that there's not trends, more like binary. On/off, empty/backed up. LA has 33 ships waiting (down from a high of 65), Savanah has 25. A backup there was unheard of until recently.

Diversions: No one chooses to divert - send a ship to a different port - unless things are way out of control. It's just too expensive. The difference now is the ability to increase price, that's why you'll see some things actually available spike bigly in price. The importer guessed that even with a massive increase in cost, they'd be able to recoup when they sold. So they diverted, paid for it and increased the price to the next guy. (He doesn't actually deal with this, they never divert, can't crank the price up enough.)

Load Ratio: It's the ratio of loads to drivers. It translates into how many choices a driver has as to which load he'll take. In olden times (lol) it was typically 2:1. In the past year+ he's seen it as high as 11:1. It's currently 7:1. Drivers pick based on net pay to them and more importantly how it fits into their future scheduling. Which most often has nothing to do with what any given customer needs – they're all just discrete loads to the driver.

Fines: Those fines on stuff "too long" at the port have been implemented. (I was surprised.) So things are better? I ask. He laughed. No, now they just move things off the port property to a close by storage place. In fact it's made things worse in some places; drivers love to make short lucrative hauls. So some have simply stopped driving long distances and are making a business out of moving things out of the port to storage. Wow...

Driver Shortage: It's a thing, a huge thing. And it's actually not new; the pipeline of folks being trained has been at a trickle for years. It (driver shortage) used to be seasonal and regional, now it's endemic. Result is higher offers for drivers; $20k sign on bonus, $100k salary per year with benefits. I said that doesn't match what I've read about salaries (typically only half/two thirds of that), he just said he's heard it.

"The Transportation Report": This is a thing at his company. They used to get it every four months, and he used to ignore it every four months. Now they get it weekly. And he can't ignore it. Much to his chagrin. "I shouldn't have to know about this bubblegum!" lol

Had a conversation with a relative over the holiday. Have mentioned him before.

He's a well compensated non-management type; he doesn't tell others what to do, he knows how to do things. Though he is tapped to train new people – couple of stories about the young new hires are sad, funny and jaw dropping. Whole other thread. Anyway, he deals with logistics a lot, tho it's not actually in his job description. Jotted down notes from our half hour long discussion:

Ports: The backup is still with us, and not ending soon. Tho he can't really tell; he says he's come to ignore "trends" for that. There are so many variables that there's not trends, more like binary. On/off, empty/backed up. LA has 33 ships waiting (down from a high of 65), Savanah has 25. A backup there was unheard of until recently.

Diversions: No one chooses to divert - send a ship to a different port - unless things are way out of control. It's just too expensive. The difference now is the ability to increase price, that's why you'll see some things actually available spike bigly in price. The importer guessed that even with a massive increase in cost, they'd be able to recoup when they sold. So they diverted, paid for it and increased the price to the next guy. (He doesn't actually deal with this, they never divert, can't crank the price up enough.)

Load Ratio: It's the ratio of loads to drivers. It translates into how many choices a driver has as to which load he'll take. In olden times (lol) it was typically 2:1. In the past year+ he's seen it as high as 11:1. It's currently 7:1. Drivers pick based on net pay to them and more importantly how it fits into their future scheduling. Which most often has nothing to do with what any given customer needs – they're all just discrete loads to the driver.

Fines: Those fines on stuff "too long" at the port have been implemented. (I was surprised.) So things are better? I ask. He laughed. No, now they just move things off the port property to a close by storage place. In fact it's made things worse in some places; drivers love to make short lucrative hauls. So some have simply stopped driving long distances and are making a business out of moving things out of the port to storage. Wow...

Driver Shortage: It's a thing, a huge thing. And it's actually not new; the pipeline of folks being trained has been at a trickle for years. It (driver shortage) used to be seasonal and regional, now it's endemic. Result is higher offers for drivers; $20k sign on bonus, $100k salary per year with benefits. I said that doesn't match what I've read about salaries (typically only half/two thirds of that), he just said he's heard it.

"The Transportation Report": This is a thing at his company. They used to get it every four months, and he used to ignore it every four months. Now they get it weekly. And he can't ignore it. Much to his chagrin. "I shouldn't have to know about this bubblegum!" lol
Is there any truth to what I heard about tractors that don't meet cali's strict pollution standards being blocked from coming into the state?

I should share a worthless story about price increase and decrease but I tend to boar folks with my stories. When you want a story let me know and its very survival related.
Please, share your story. If someone is feeling either bored or even Boared, they can move on. I'd like to hear it.

749247.jpg

Waaayyyy back in September when this thread started there were 150 container ships backlogged off Long Beach, waiting to be unloaded....
.... politicians were going to "get right on it".

Their solution? ..,, have their media buddies ignore it .....

There, all fixed, and any reports of supply chain problems are "conspiracy theories" and rightwing lies.

:rolleyes: Next problem? Non-flation! :s0155:

Waaayyyy back in September when this thread started there were 150 container ships backlogged off Long Beach, waiting to be unloaded....
.... politicians were going to "get right on it".

Their solution? ..,, have their media buddies ignore it .....

There, all fixed, and any reports of supply chain problems are "conspiracy theories" and rightwing lies.

:rolleyes: Next problem? Non-flation! :s0155:
I was reading its down to 33 ships now but the stuff offloaded has been moved out of the port and stored. They can't get drivers to long haul it because the short hauls around the port pays better.

Costco has French Roast whole beans on sale for @$12 for 3 lbs. Lots of it available as of yesterday.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top