JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Article: 30% uptick in cargo in first 9 months.
Me: yes, compared to last year when China significantly shut down manufacturing because of the Fauci Flu. How bouts we compare to 2019 instead?
Me: What about California, where a SIGNIFICANT (40%? IIRC) amount of the US port traffic happens, banning independent trucks from picking up freight?

Weasel words. Weasel phrases.
Walk like a weasel get the horns!

Just today (10-25-2021) I saw this.

Aloha, Mark

To address this topic, in a research report published overnight, Goldman's economists assessed the three key drivers of supply chain normalization and their most likely timing:
  • improved chip supply driven by post-Delta factory restarts (4Q21) and eventually by expanded production capacity (2H22 and 2023);
  • improved US labor supply (4Q21 and 1H22); and
  • the wind-down of US port congestion (2H22).

FACEPALM: Los Angeles Will Fine Cargo Ships That Can't Unload

"Los Angeles ports will fine cargo ships waiting to unload their goods in an attempt to relieve congestion that is as desperate as it is gobsmackingly stupid.​
It's a fine so pointless and wrong that, of course, Presidentish Joe Biden has chimed in with his support for it.​
According to CNBC, the White House is "hopeful" that fines will "ease the intensifying logjam of cargo ships" waiting to unload at Long Beach and the Port of Los Angeles. Together, the two account for 40% of the country's seaborne imports.​
Carriers will have to pay "$100 per day for each container lingering past a given timeline" starting on the first of the month. Containers moved by truck will have nine days before they'll start paying, and containers moved by rail will have just three days. ..."​

"Los Angeles ports will fine cargo ships waiting to unload their goods in an attempt to relieve congestion that is as desperate as it is gobsmackingly stupid.​
It's a fine so pointless and wrong that, of course, Presidentish Joe Biden has chimed in with his support for it.​
According to CNBC, the White House is "hopeful" that fines will "ease the intensifying logjam of cargo ships" waiting to unload at Long Beach and the Port of Los Angeles. Together, the two account for 40% of the country's seaborne imports.​
Carriers will have to pay "$100 per day for each container lingering past a given timeline" starting on the first of the month. Containers moved by truck will have nine days before they'll start paying, and containers moved by rail will have just three days. ..."​
And naturally, they fail to address the trucking problem, the one they themselves created, so yea, fine them and that'll get the freight moved faster, bunch of liberal cucks!

two deliveries from Amazon yesterday:

1) UPS - delivered to neighbors instead of me

2) USPS - did not deliver with my mail, but delivered sometime late evening. Said they put it on my my porch/etc., it was actually in my mailbox - 100 yards from my house. I expected it to be there and would prefer most everything to go there.
UPS lost a package last night for me. It wasn't a high dollar item, and they honored the claim within 12 hours. The original vendor not only refunded my money, but is re-shipping expedited and gave me an additional discount.

I expect UPS to deliver that package to Guam.

I went to make a claim with UPS because I needed the batteries (my fault) and wanted them to deliver them properly.

But then the neighbor texted me that they got the delivery, and brought them over. I guess the UPS driver did not see the BIG number placard on the tree at the mouth of my driveway and just assumed that because the mailbox was across the road, that meant it belonged to the house on that side too. Anybody worth their salt knows that rural mailboxes are almost always only on one side of the road.

facepalm.gif ..
_________

It's beyond insane! The city of L.A has banned all commercial trucks older then 3 years old regardless of emissions compliance, which locked out around 80% of the trucking companies that haul those containers, no owner operator in his right mind would spend that kind of money on a new truck!

It's beyond insane! The city of L.A has banned all commercial trucks older then 3 years old regardless of emissions compliance, which locked out around 80% of the trucking companies that haul those containers, no owner operator in his right mind would spend that kind of money on a new truck!
Not just LA, it's a California law to reduce state emissions. Yet more "green" legislation that backfired because nobody worried about the consequences.

The worst thing is that the "fines" will be passed onto consumers outside of California. It will amount to a tax on anything that passes through the two ports. The money will enrich the ports and also the workers/contractors/trucking companies that can continue to work in the ports.

This is a return to Medieval robber baron mentality. California is being rewarded for cornering the movement of ocean-borne imports and implementing outlandish environmental legislation.

They are not satisfied with dragging themselves down into ruin, they insist on dragging the rest of the nation down with them!

Mr. Maestri acknowledged that wait times for some Apple products were longer than the company would like. Supply constraints during the previous quarter hurt revenue by $6 billion, he said, and will be worse in the current period.

"We fully expect to set a new December quarter record for revenue," he said. "But we also expect the supply constraints will be greater than the $6 billion.…We expect most of our product categories to be constrained during the December quarter."

There's nothing in there about the fact that China put a prohibitive tariff on imports of Australia's clean coal. (Clean relative to most coal, including China's, which is apparently especially dirty.) The tariff was part of an overall economic attack on Australia as punishment for Australia's exercising free speech in calling for an investigation of the origin of Covid and not serving as mouthpieces for China in all things. China is the major importer of Australian goods, about 30% of Australia's exports, and has been attempting to use that leverage to turn Australia into a Chinese mouthpiece and client state for once and for all. China has put prohibitive tariffs on everything from Australian barley, to lobsters to wine. And essentially eliminated their buying of Australian coal. (And coal powered electricity must now be replaced with diesel, causing the shortage of diesel for trucking. And China is ordering increased production of their dirty coal, which they were trying to phase out because it is so poluting. But ordering closed down mining operations to reopen or expand isn't instant.)

Australia has not knuckled under. They have borne all the economic disruption. They have become graphically aware that China wants control over Australia and is no friend or ordinary trade partner. They have responded by realizing they need a better navy and more military strength as well as much less economic dependence on China. There is now a recently announced new alliance between US, Australia, and UK which will, among other things, provide Australia with a fleet of nuclear-powered submarines. China is furious.

Meanwhile, Australia has already found markets for about 90% of the coal China used to buy. Mostly selling to SE Asian countries. And China has shot itself in the gonads by cutting off Australian coal. It has had to buy more coal from SE Asia, much of which is actually their increased buying of Australian coal, for which China must now pay a higher price to cover the extra middle men so as to be able to pretend that they didn't make a mistake cutting off direct imports of Australian coal. Australian business sectors targeted by China such as barley and wine seem to have found new markets for about 60 - 80% of the goods that used to go to China.

Australia had been increasingly integrating with and partnering with China, and thinking China, not US, was its most important partner. And economically it was. But China overplayed its hand. And Australia saw the true cost of economic dependence on China-- loss of status as a free country. And they said not only no but He!! no. Very cheering, I thought.

Not just LA, it's a California law to reduce state emissions. Yet more "green" legislation that backfired because nobody worried about the consequences.
Here's the thing I don't understand. How much carbon is created when producing a new vehicle? What happens to the old ones? Landfill? That doesn't seem very environmentally friendly if you ask me. These people just don't think. I'm so sick of policy being made by ignorant people who are not intelligent enough or haven't learned how to think about potential unintended consequences.

Here's the thing I don't understand. How much carbon is created when producing a new vehicle? What happens to the old ones? Landfill? That doesn't seem very environmentally friendly if you ask me. These people just don't think. I'm so sick of policy being made by ignorant people who are not intelligent enough or haven't learned how to think about potential unintended consequences.
Metals from automobiles is recycled. Not sure about tires/etc.

I think the bulk of most automobiles is metal - at least for now.

Lithium from EVs is a recycling issue.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads