JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Click and Clat, the Tappet Brothers…. Sadly, that era has passed too :(
Yup, Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers and Car Talk are no more. Tom died 7 years ago yesterday, 03 NOV 2014. I remember listening to those two clowns on my car's radio as me and my buddies ventured forth on Saturday mornings to a climbing, kayaking, or skiing venue. Funny stuff those two.
Now, only Ray (and reruns) remains...

My religion's 3rd tenet is: "There is no replacement for displacement."

So...I don't think me and Greta would get along.

The Church of Car Talk? :)

Nope.

Satan.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Cars are disposable now.
Amazing thing - that is. Technologically, we've gotten to the point where just about every vehicle on the market will do an easy 100,000 miles before major parts investments need to be made...and yet, the market essentially acts and treats sales like they were leases: trading in and buying up/across...driving vehicles always under 50k miles but paying every month for it.

It's a cultural shift that happened - not anything related to the cars. As far as I see it, they're much cheaper to operate and maintain today than they ever were.

Amazing thing - that is. Technologically, we've gotten to the point where just about every vehicle on the market will do an easy 100,000 miles before major parts investments need to be made...and yet, the market essentially acts and treats sales like they were leases: trading in and buying up/across...driving vehicles always under 50k miles but paying every month for it.

It's a cultural shift that happened - not anything related to the cars. As far as I see it, they're much cheaper to operate and maintain today than they ever were.
"You will own nothing and be happy"

It started when companies realized they could bleed more money out of people - and governments realized they could control more people - with unending payments vs. one-time purchases. It's just like software as a service, managed services, streaming video subscriptions, monthly access subscriptions for your exercise bike... You don't own anything, you are just leasing it or paying endless subscriptions for the privilege of using it.

Just remember, if you have to sign or check a terms of service agreement to use it, you don't own it.

My daily driver has 110K+ (IIRC). My truck has something like 180K, my pickup 230K+

I can't remember the last car I owned that didn't have more than 100K miles when I was finished with it - except the ones that were wrecked in a crash.

My daily driver has 110K+ (IIRC). My truck has something like 180K, my pickup 230K+

I can't remember the last car I owned that didn't have more than 100K miles when I was finished with it - except the ones that were wrecked in a crash.
1994 Ford Explorer Sport (2-dr, 4WD wagon) has 330,298 miles on it. All original engine, tranny, rings, timing belt, hubs, etc. Retro-installed an Alpine AM/FM/satellite radio/Bluetooth/CD player in the dash and added bass boost for the back, crooz control and all the power bells and whistles still work.

2014 Hyundai Sonata has 120,666 miles on it. Runs like the day it was new. Probably even better.

1979 Fiat Spider Pinanfarina convertible. Last known mileage was 68,000 and change. Disconnected the odometer years ago. Antique vehicle insurance thing, yunno... ;) Also threw the same Alpine kit in the dash of this li'l baby, too.

Last Edited:
@sobo I did similar with a simple, newer deck from https://crutchfield.com for $105 and a self install. Bluetooth and a hands-free mic now.
That's exactly what I did! My two Alpine decks were $129 each plus tax from Crutchfield. Total of $280 or so after all was said and done. Took a Saturday afternoon for each of the self-installs as well. Easy as cake! I've got BT and hands-free mic in both of my "antique" vehicles, just like I have in my Sonata daily driver.

Last Edited:
Price of gas keeps going up , I dont think there's need for tires. lol
tiny-wheels-on-big-pickup.jpg

512171.jpg

I remember when Firestone had these kinds of problems:

xwz0mlekxps31.jpg

4cc2fef26670e04e6db9c22a990fb67d.jpg

I have plenty of spares for my trucks - 6 studded tire/wheels for my one ton (came with the truck), but I would need some help taking the lug nuts off - probably.

306985a71c862a6e8c489a939d3fa1af.jpg

Eight mostly worn street tires for the pickup. No spares for the daily driver though, not even one in the car (it came with run flats, but those wore out).

I want to get some real (more or less) mud tires for the pickup as it seems to be the most capable 4x4 I own (even with the slipping clutch). Eventually I want some all terrain 19-20" rims/tires for the one ton (it has 4.10 gearing and I want to gear it better for the road), but what it has now are adequate if SHTF.

If SHTF - I can get around adequately with the tires and fuel I have. As it is I go into town about twice a month on average (sometimes more, but those are not really necessary trips) - if SHTF that would maybe be once a month, if there are even roads left and it is safe to go into a population center.

It is a toss up whether Newberg or Hillsboro is the shorter trip; Newberg is closer, but the mountain is steeper and more twisty on that side so it takes almost as long to go into town and probably consumes as much fuel coming back up - if there was a severe earthquake I would not be at all surprised if that side of the mountain slid into Newberg making all the roads on that side impassable; you can see where there have been landslides along that side in the geological past.

EVs are not environmentally friendly... the resources required to build those feel good machines are significant and totally left out of EV discussions.

Another thing they conveniently leave out...the roads they complain about as their rolling virtue signal blows out a tire. Both these items have petroleum as a primary ingredient.
Not to mention the petroleum used and the pollutants created in the the manufacture of vinyl plastic bumper stickers so that Prius owners can advertise their moral superiority on the rear ends of their vehicles. Consider this:

"Is vinyl safe?

The Center for Health, Environment & Justice has called PVC a "poison plastic." No other plastic contains or releases as many toxins as PVC does."

The good news is that recent research has found that the replacement of old Volvos by new Subarus and Priuses has resulted in a 57% decrease in the number of offensive opinions displayed on the nation's highways.

The good news is that recent research has found that the replacement of old Volvos by new Subarus and Priuses has resulted in a 57% decrease in the number of offensive opinions displayed on the nation's highways.
Huh... I woulda thought, with the onslaught of vituperative, self-righteous, The Resistance™ Subaru and Prius owners signaling their unbridled virtue and vindictive hate for anything right of center, that woulda trended the other way. I guess it depends upon what each person's definition of "offensive" is... o_O

Last Edited:
Huh... I woulda thought, with the onslaught of vituperative, self-righteous, The Resistance™ Subaru and Prius owners signaling their unbridled virtue and vindictive hate for anything right of center, that woulda trended the other way. I guess it depends upon what each person's definition of "offensive" is... o_O
Thank you for the clarification. I believe the research was based on quantitative rather than qualitative data. :s0140: :s0140:

You can't take it with you and while you are here it's becoming worth less and less everday. If there are items you plan on buying consider buying them sooner rather than later.

More anecdotal evidence of that the supply chain strain will continue in to the near future.

I set up an updated workstation at home (yay 3-year office stipend) and got a Logitech streamcam for a cam (almost entirely because it's usb-c and I won't have to eff with a dongle).

I paid $149 on October 6, 2021 for it.

My boss asked me what I got because he's thinking of upgrading, so I checked. On November 9th, Logitech now has them at $169.

Of course other resellers still have deals, I'm more so surprised that the manufacturer jumped the price that much in such a limited amount of time.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top