JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have considered getting one for my home defense gun (the excuse for the wife) so if I ever have to defend my home we don't go deaf but still cant justify the cost of the trust, tax stamp and suppressor.
Then consider this, how much is your hearing worth. I'd give anything, and I mean ANYTHING to make the ringing in my ears stop. I wear earplugs all day at work now, in the shop at home, when I mow the lawn, and even when I shoot my suppressed firearms. I don't want to damage my hearing anymore than it is now.

just because your ears don't ring doesn't mean that permanent damage hasn't occurred.

on the other hand, ringing ears is absolute confirmation that permanent damage HAS occurred.

the only suppressed round i'll shoot without any hearing protection is subsonic 22lr.

with any other suppressed subsonic, i wear light plugs.

with anything suppressed supersonic (including 22lr) I wear full hearing protection. the supersonic crack of any bullet is around 160db or more.

consider that the bolt closing on an AR alone is around 140db and will ring your ears.

hearing damage is PERMANENT and IRREVERSIBLE. it is also cumulative.

silencerco and other manfuacturers making these claims are stupid.

my hearing has already been quite damaged between blowing stuff up (reactive targets), concerts, watching Jet dragsters, the sound system in my truck, my dirt bikes...I'm going to be one of those old guys goin "What's that sonny? You'll have to speak up!" :D

Interesting discussion

In my mid 50s I have moderate hearing loss and tinnitus from youthful indiscretions and years in manufacturing. I wear hearing protection for recreational shooting but not for hunting.

I do not wear ears when I hunt big game but I do use a suppressor when I hunt varmints with anything bigger than a .22LR.

I had my annual hearing test last month and it tracks my results for the last 16 years. There has been no appreciable change in my condition.

Given the extreme unlikelihood that you will ever use a gun in self defense I would have to say that this is a non issue. Unless of course you are looking for a reason ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top