JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I received a Superior Arms AR lower receiver (Model # S 15) as a gift, and paired it with an RRA 16" flat top upper receiver. However, when I mounted the upper to the lower, the rear retaining pin/takedown pin would not seat, and in fact it sticks out about .25" from the side of the lower. I took the rifle to Bullseye in Tacoma (it was not purchased from there), and they quickly identified that the retaining pin well (I am not sure of the nomenclature, but I am trying to describe the hole(s) drilled in the lower that the takedown pin fits into) is angled slightly. The hole on the left (exit) side is about a mm towards the rear when compared to the right (entrance) side, and is apparently a machining flaw. My brother, who also has a lower made by Superior Arms (the SN of which is near mine), has the same problem. I would like to know:

a. Has anyone had similar problems from Superior Arms?

b. Is this a common manufacturing defect with AR lowers?

Sounds more like Superior arms either did this on purpose so you would buy their uppers or they're just flawed (especially for another person to have the same problem that you personally know of).

Either way, THAT'S CRAP!

That type of thing can happen from time to time on a CNC machine. The fact that it made it out of the shop is unexcusable though. Machines screw up sometimes but it's up to the people running them to check for fit before the product leaves the shop. I know that when mass producing a product it's hard to Q.C. every part but when it comes to gun parts, it is a must. Keep us posted on how their customer service is.

Taurus,
I also was amazed that a company would release a product, or products, with such flaws. I figured they would test a few random lowers from a lot machined at the same time with an upper, or some other Q.C. system. I have contacted Superior Arms, and they told me they have had similar problems. They paid for my lower, and my brother's, to be shipped back to them, and they said they would either repair the lower or replace it and send it back. I have yet to get the lowers back, but they have only been gone a few days. I will post a follow up when they are returned.

Depending on their production schedule, it could take a couple of weeks for them to get it back to you. I know with us (not having a dedicated repair department), we have to work it in between production runs. It sounds to me like they had a batch problem with Q.C. You run X amount of receivers before catching the problem. When you realize the problem and try to correct it, some have already made it out the door. That's why we hand fit every receiver and pin check them to make sure the fit right before leaving the shop.

Before you freak out- check the upper. RRA is known for having oversized rear lugs. Check if the rear lug of the upper has rub marks, or if the lower does from the upper. I cant find it now but used to be quite a few posts on this. The recommended was to oil the lug and keep applying hand pressure tell worked together. The hole off that little may not matter once upper is seated fully and pin in. Worth a try as I've seen it on several RRA Uppers.

I just got my lowers back from Superior Arms. They are new lowers, the company must have determined it would be cheaper to give me new ones than repair those that I sent in. These lowers fit with my RRA upper perfectly, and it was a pretty fast turnaround (less than 3 weeks). Though I was unhappy with the quality of the original lowers, I give Superior Arms credit for quickly resolving the problem.

I just got my lowers back from Superior Arms. They are new lowers, the company must have determined it would be cheaper to give me new ones than repair those that I sent in. These lowers fit with my RRA upper perfectly, and it was a pretty fast turnaround (less than 3 weeks). Though I was unhappy with the quality of the original lowers, I give Superior Arms credit for quickly resolving the problem.

:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top