JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Picked this stuff up today for 22-250. Has anyone started working with this? It's not in my book….50th Lyman. Data it printed on product label. I see only a few bullet weights….

17D9DCE3-B842-42D7-9C45-C3C4885DEE02.jpeg

Last Edited:
I tried it several years ago just after it was first brought out. It was underwhelming at best for me.

It is not the same Superformance that is used in Superformance ammo. The ammo I do like, and I have chronographed significant improvements in velocity with the ammo.

-E-

I found my 2012 post from another site.......

So here is Hodgdon's claim regarding Superformance

"Velocities well in excess of 100 fps over the best published handloads and even larger gains over factory ammunition!"

Yesterday Bluewater and I finally made it out to perform some testing of this powder with the chronograph.

The rifle was a Remington Model Seven in .300 WSM with a 22" barrel.
The load was 72 gr. of Superformance behind a 150 gr. Nosler Accubond with a Win LRM primer. Hodgdon lists 74 grs. as a max loading for this caliber/bullet.

For a comparison load, Bluewater brought along factory Federal Premium loaded with 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips. Federal lists velocity for this load at 3250 FPS.

First, we shot the Superformance handloads. Average velocity for the string landed at 3188 FPS.

Next was the factory Federal loads. Here I will admit that we did shoot a lesser number of rounds for the string since we had a limited amount of this ammo. The fps average.........!!!!!!...?????.......3187 FPS.

Yes, you heard it here first. 1 FPS gain over factory. I'm totally giddy! :dance:

I realize that I still have two full grains to go upward with the Superformance load according to Hodgdon, but the rifle was beginning to get a little sticky on the bolt at 73 grains. Plus the grouping opened up considerably at 73 grs. as well.

-E-

I got some several years ago and loaded some .30-06
ran them through the chrono and they were about 200fps less than my standard H-4350 loads. While a bit slower it was extremely accurate.
I am about to load more and do more testing. The powder flows through a Dillon measure quite well while the 4350 is not usable in the Dillon measure(imho)

I haven't loaded it in a long time but for some reason the back of my head I'm thinking that the good performance for it was a 70 grain bullet in .243. Been a long time, could be wrong.

I use it to propel a 129gr ablr bullet to 2975fps in 6.5 creedmoor. That is faster than I could safely achieve with other powders by 50fps. It seems to have a narrow application though. I have tried it in other cartridges and got good speed in some cases but it was at the expense of accuracy.

I'm also using it in a 6.5 CM, with a max charge (Barnes data) of 45.5 gr. behind a 145 gr. Match Burner, I got an average of 2945 FPS with an SD of 8.8. That's from a 28" barrel, and although the SD's looked good pretty much across the board, accuracy was pretty ho hum, that particular load was my best and put 5 shots into right at 1MOA at 100 yards. That was also at Barnes recommended COAL, I have another batch waiting on my next range trip to test different seating depths. I keep hoping I can get this bullet to shoot well, the BC is pretty amazing, I just haven't found the right combo yet. Later.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top