JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm going to prepare for this the same way I prepared for Swine flu and SARS, by doing absolutely nothing and not taking the hype seriously.

If worse comes to worse there's always.

flamethrower.jpg

Oh, what a bunch of crap. It is the same damn flu it always has been...just like with SARS, Bird Flu, Swine Flu and the scores of other names the media wants to give it.

BFD.
Don't confuse a virus with a bacterial infection.

Antibiotics were developed to fight bacterial infections not viruses. Any form of influenza is a virus. To have a gene that is capable of altering the DNA of an existing bacteria, making said bacteria resistant to antibiotics, is huge. And potentially very scary.

To fight SARS, the Chinese instituted measures to combat it that would never fly here.
But to a great extent, they worked.

MRSA for instance, is a bacterial infection, and it IS a serious threat to the populace in areas of high population density. And in places where hygiene isn't easily implemented for the masses. Not to mention it's ability to spread in treatment centers, and to the health workers that treat patients. And so far, no pill or other form of antibiotic is reliably consistent in treating it.

Good luck with keeping your head in the sand though!

Don't confuse a virus with a bacterial infection.

Antibiotics were developed to fight bacterial infections not viruses. Any form of influenza is a virus. To have a gene that is capable of altering the DNA of an existing bacteria, making said bacteria resistant to antibiotics, is huge. And potentially very scary.

To fight SARS, the Chinese instituted measures to combat it that would never fly here.
But to a great extent, they worked.

MRSA for instance, is a bacterial infection, and it IS a serious threat to the populace in areas of high population density. And in places where hygiene isn't easily implemented for the masses. Not to mention it's ability to spread in treatment centers, and to the health workers that treat patients. And so far, no pill or other form of antibiotic is reliably consistent in treating it.

Good luck with keeping your head in the sand though!

Since you obviously aren't smart enough to get what I was saying, let me spell it out for you. For the past few years, there has been some sort of giant emergency every year. This 'superbug' crap is no exception. Just more sensationalism from the leftist media, likely to misdirect our attention at our traitorous government's request.

Since you obviously aren't smart enough to get what I was saying, let me spell it out for you. For the past few years, there has been some sort of giant emergency every year. This 'superbug' crap is no exception. Just more sensationalism from the leftist media, likely to misdirect our attention at our traitorous government's request.

I am always astounded at the human tendency to be proud of ignorance, and to invent conspiracies behind the scenes. This "crap" is a serious global crisis that needs a radical attack strategy---quarantine before it gets out of control like the MRSA bacteria did. BACTERIA (and viruses too) HAVE A CONSPIRACY to mutate continuously to survive antibiotics, and they are gaining on us. World travel and commerce shrink this globe all the time, and overpopulation provides perfect breeding grounds and transmission vectors for new plagues that will require serious attention. Indiscriminate use of antibiotics has BRED these superbugs. We cannot just pretend that they are not actually evolving to EAT US. A hundred years ago there were no antibiotics, and getting a simple sliver in your finger often meant losing your entire arm, or just dying in horrible agony if you delayed amputation too long. If these new superbugs resist all antibiotics we will be back to that situation of a hundred years ago, and we will REALLY see some "crap.".................................elsullo :cool:

Since so far, I haven't been smart enough to get you to listen, I'll try a different approach.
You have probably had many minor infections in your life, and may even have had a couple major ones. Everything from a minor zit, boil or puss filled cut, to a full blown case of strep throat, pneumonia or pleurisy. They were probably taken care of with Amoxicillin or streptomycin, or Neosporin for the pussie boo-boos.

Can you imagine dying from them? Any/all of them?

What is being discussed in the article referenced (and elsewhere) is a new gene. When this gene attaches itself to a bacterium the bacteria cell will accept it. In turn, it enables that infection causing agent to become resistant, or maybe immune to the effects of antibiotics. And not just a few bacteria, many, or maybe even most or all bacteria! IOW, that bad zit you have, or your kid has could possibly kill you if neglected or not treated correctly!

In the world of medicine this is sci-fi stuff!! This isn't like an avian flue or swine flu threat. This is something that could wipe out the efficacy of most known treatments for infections. We'd be back to civil war era medicine in terms of preventing even the simplest of infections from spreading through the body. You could die from a splinter, or a cut/scrape like our great-great grandfathers sometimes did.

If a way to combat it isn't found, many surgeries will be denied for fear of not being able to stop what would have previously been a minor infection. One that penicillin or other drug given on a preventative basis would have easily zapped.

I agree that the media loves to hype a scare. I agree that we have an admin that won't pass up a chance to exploit a crisis,...
But read the link! This is genetics here. This IS scary stuff!

You should watch History Channels "After Armageddon" series, its all on YouTube (9 episodes). The relative part to this thread is actually in episode 9 I believe, where the main character (who is an EMT or nurse or some medical profession) actually ends up dieing form what originated as a very minor cut.

While there are things in the show that can be debated as to whether or not they may happen, I think death from minor infections is a very real possibility. And not from not having any antibiotics available, but from not having antibiotics (or other medicine) that actually work anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r97xoSOEjM

I am always astounded at the human tendency to be proud of ignorance, and to invent conspiracies behind the scenes. This "crap" is a serious global crisis that needs a radical attack strategy---quarantine before it gets out of control like the MRSA bacteria did. BACTERIA (and viruses too) HAVE A CONSPIRACY to mutate continuously to survive antibiotics, and they are gaining on us. World travel and commerce shrink this globe all the time, and overpopulation provides perfect breeding grounds and transmission vectors for new plagues that will require serious attention. Indiscriminate use of antibiotics has BRED these superbugs. We cannot just pretend that they are not actually evolving to EAT US. A hundred years ago there were no antibiotics, and getting a simple sliver in your finger often meant losing your entire arm, or just dying in horrible agony if you delayed amputation too long. If these new superbugs resist all antibiotics we will be back to that situation of a hundred years ago, and we will REALLY see some "crap.".................................elsullo :cool:

+1:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top