JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey folks,

Got myself a nice used Super Blackhawk in 44 mag this week.

I haven't owned a revolver for several years, but around 15 years ago I briefly got into cowboy action guns and had several SAA clones.

I seem to recall, when opening the loading gate, that it was easy to just put a shell in, rotate 1 click, put another shell in, etc. Same with ejecting spent cases, just plunge the rod, rotate to the next one, etc.

The Ruger doesn't line up in the way that I would expect. You can't load a cartridge into it when you rotate a "click" - it goes slightly too far. Same with the ejections.

Is this a sign of trouble or just a quirk of the gun?

all the two screws are like this. you used to shoot three screw single actions. this is probably part of why three screws fetch more at auction. i gave my two screw to my brother and kept my three screw. if you buy a thee screw blackhawk with transfer bar conversion be sure to get the original parts that ruger returned so you can unconvert it.the old ones were only safe with hammer down on empty chamber, the transfer bar models can load all six chambers safely.

Is it a Super Blackhawk or a New Model Super Blackhawk?
The New Models load/unload with the hammer down and the "click" won't be in time with the loading gate.
The version that says only Super Blackhawk is an "old model" or three screw. Two clicks back on the hammer and the cylinder spins much more freely, but I don't remember if the clicks perfectly line up with the gate or not.

Old model Rugers line up the cylinder chamber with the loading gate exactly when you hear the "click". The New model Rugers do not.

When you hear the click and look with the loading gate open, you will then see that it is lined up in the middle between two cylinder chambers when the loading gate is open. You must turn the cylinder past the click and hold it, to perfectly line up the cylinder chamber with the loading gate slot to load, and/or eject a spent round casing.

ALL. New model single action Rugers are built this way and come from the factory as such. New models have 2 pins where as the older versions are 3 screws and have a "Half cock" like colt single action army models have. Your Ruger is fine.

Happy shooting :)
gunsmithkinks

Old model Rugers line up the cylinder chamber with the loading gate exactly when you hear the "click". The New model Rugers do not.

When you hear the click and look with the loading gate open, you will then see that it is lined up in the middle between two cylinder chambers when the loading gate is open. You must turn the cylinder past the click and hold it, to perfectly line up the cylinder chamber with the loading gate slot to load, and/or eject a spent round casing.

ALL. New model single action Rugers are built this way and come from the factory as such. New models have 2 pins where as the older versions are 3 screws and have a "Half cock" like colt single action army models have. Your Ruger is fine.

Happy shooting :)
gunsmithkinks
Thank you.

Is this done intentionally, or just as a result of the 2 pin design? Is there a benefit to it (other than lower cost of the two pin design)?

Most likely done intentionally and nothing to do with the pins, Done so that when the loading gate is open, live rounds don't just fall out. It's the way the cylinder timing indexes when the loading gate is open. Personally I like it that way. Once you get used to it, it's easy to load and unload without even looking at it, you just do it by feel.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top