JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The only cell service available at my cabin in paradise is 1X. I believe that is also referred to as 2g. I currently have an older 3g tracfone slider which allows me to roam on to the 1X US Cellular network at the cabin. It barely works but serves as a way to call 911, make necessary phone calls and send and receive some text messages. I have tried some different 4g lte phones down there and they won't work at all. I half to drive about a half mile east or west to get a good 3g or maybe 4g signal. My place sits in a bowl surrounded by elevation.

I guess all carriers are going to be shutting down 2g this year and 3g soon after. That will leave my place in a dead zone. Any ideas on what options I should pursue to have access to 911, etc?

Eventually all the carriers are going to dump 2G, 3G and stop supporting older devices that utilize it. There are some cell signal boosters out there that use external antennas to boost things up.

Eventually all the carriers are going to dump 2G, 3G and stop supporting older devices that utilize it. There are some cell signal boosters out there that use external antennas to boost things up.

The US Cellular rep said the booster could be an option but I would have to have some signal to boost. Once the 2g and 3g are sunsetted I won't have any signal at all. For some reason the 4g signal doesn't want to reach my place.

The US Cellular rep said the booster could be an option but I would have to have some signal to boost. Once the 2g and 3g are sunsetted I won't have any signal at all. For some reason the 4g signal doesn't want to reach my place.

I think 4G utilizes a higher frequency, which unfortunately means it doesn't penetrate as well.

If this is just for 911 type calls maybe a Sat phone?

A couple come to mind:

• Amateur radio and autopatch.
  • Satellite phone with just basic service.
We've done both in remote areas at various times, albeit years ago.

It's possible for 911 type call, but it would have to be portable as a giant antenna tower would be inviting crooks in. I've never used one so not sure how that would work.

depending on vhf-uhf, repeater location to your cabin, you may be able to use an H.T. type ham radio ( walkie-talkie.) and doesnt require a tower, just the small antenna that comes out of the top of it.
they have a battery can last for days, and easily portable/rechargable. Old bored hams love helping other hams, they can phone patch you to anyone you want to call if you need.

My place sounds similar to yours. I'm in a bowl, surrounded by a 200ft ridge, and cell service doesn't work. We went with GoogleFi as it automatically uses WiFi if no cell service is present. Text and email works perfectly. Calls work, but the quality is not great once you've used all your sat internet data. We pay around $80/month for 10gigs of sat internet. That's depleted in a day or two; after it's gone, you still have internet, but they throttle you back to painfully slow speeds.

We are in a cell dead zone with okay interwebs service, so we had to get a Tmobile booster out here. It runs off the web and gives us consistent 4bars. Nice thing is the sent it to us free of charge.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top