JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Trust me, what ever the Iranians have we know about it and its old news...However if a carrier was sunk I suspect we would use somwthing nobody knows about, not yet anyway

When was the last carrier sunk? USS Yorktown, maybe the HMS Ark Royal, around 70 years ago. I am not saying it is impossible, its a very real possibility, but since WWII we haven't faced any militaries or navies capable of such a feat. I think maybe Britain sunk an Argentina Carrier in the falklands war, but unless we are fighting other huge navies, I don't think it would happen. There are anti-shipping missiles, that would be Iran's best shot probably, several simultaneously to overpower a super carriers missile defense system, and any surrounding ships. Usually super-carriers are surrounded by a screen of destroyers to also help prevent it from happening and to protect against submarines.

Our best bet for having our own carriers sunk since WWII would of been during the Cold War against Russia, since Russia was the only opposing navy with the capability to do it.

edit: I did a little more research and thought this was the ultimate irony, the last US carrier sunk was in 1945 and called the USS Bismarck. Talk about a bad name for naval ships. Apparently we lost a whole lot more carriers than yorktown and hornet in WWII.

Apparently Iran doesn't understand who they are dealing with. They can sink all the surface ships they want. We have enough firepower aboard each of our 18 SSBN's, 10 of which patrol the Atlantic, to take out every building in Iran and every neighboring country, and nobody (not even us) knows exactly where those submarines are at any given moment. Ever heard the term "glass parking lot"?
ssbn1.gif

CIWS & SeaRam

When everything else has failed throw a WALL of depleted Uranium at it at 3000-4500 rpm (my son who has served on three ships with it, says faster)

Phalanx CIWS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

+1 on this

Most ships have at least 2 SeaWhiz and 1-2 batteries of RAMs. Combine that with an entire carrier task force of 6-8(I think) ships, and you have a WHOLE LOT of boolits and missiles in the air! You can bet they'd sacrifice the jets flying cover also, if it came down to it. The anti-missile technology we have is insanely awesome

Allah help Iran if they start a shooting war. If Israel didn't turn the entire country into a dust bowl then we would.

Agreed. Iran has no desire to mess with us...they want to poke at Israel to get the other Muslim states in line and level them- that's the gist of it. They know if they start crap with us it won't get pretty- hence the jab at the Holocaust and such. Of course they're pissed about the sanctions and crap, then us crying to the UN about their uranium refinements, but they know head on against the US is a death wish...any poking at us is only because they know we have our hands full with Afghanistan and Iraq (but hopefully soon just Afghanistan, then nothing overseas but the US- of course, that's just me hoping).

They're the new North Korea...a whiny, starving country full of piss and vinegar. Anyone else hopes that Ahmadinejad end up tied to a roof of a pickup truck with a stick shoved up his arse like someone we knew?

qaddafi-2.jpg

When was the last carrier sunk? USS Yorktown, maybe the HMS Ark Royal, around 70 years ago. I am not saying it is impossible, its a very real possibility, but since WWII we haven't faced any militaries or navies capable of such a feat. I think maybe Britain sunk an Argentina Carrier in the falklands war, but unless we are fighting other huge navies, I don't think it would happen. There are anti-shipping missiles, that would be Iran's best shot probably, several simultaneously to overpower a super carriers missile defense system, and any surrounding ships. Usually super-carriers are surrounded by a screen of destroyers to also help prevent it from happening and to protect against submarines.

Our best bet for having our own carriers sunk since WWII would of been during the Cold War against Russia, since Russia was the only opposing navy with the capability to do it.

edit: I did a little more research and thought this was the ultimate irony, the last US carrier sunk was in 1945 and called the USS Bismarck. Talk about a bad name for naval ships. Apparently we lost a whole lot more carriers than yorktown and hornet in WWII.

Well lets see the USS Saratoga was sunk 25 July 1946 so you need to do a little more research. And before you go screaming around the neighborhood the Saratoga was sunk by US during a Nuke test.

The USS Independence was sunk as a target 29 June 1951

The USS Oriskany was sunk 17 May 2006 again by US to create a reef for undersea life.

Apparently Iran doesn't understand who they are dealing with. They can sink all the surface ships they want. We have enough firepower aboard each of our 18 SSBN's, 10 of which patrol the Atlantic, to take out every building in Iran and every neighboring country, and nobody (not even us) knows exactly where those submarines are at any given moment. Ever heard the term "glass parking lot"?
ssbn1.gif

Oh! You mean what that whole middle east area should be?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top