JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wear WileyX AirRage frames with Rx lenses. My lenses are hardened safety plastic and are used by shooters all over. They are very comfortable and have interchangeable lenses. I have thought about getting some clear ones but I have my regular Rx glasses that are clear so I saw no need. You can get them on Amazon among other places, and Sherwood Eye Clinic stocks them so you could try them on there or at some other local eye clinic. I think the WileyX site has a dealer locator on it as well.
http://www.wileyx.com/ProductDetail/697_airrage-pol-silver-flash-lenscrystal-metallic-frame

0302161508_resized.jpg

Last Edited:
Don't laugh, I've got more compliments on my $30 homedepot Orange County motorcycles safety/sunglasses then I ever did with my $200 Ray Bans and I use them all year round.

Bout to buy my 3rd pair after the first 2 pair made it two years each.

While I rarely wear them, if needed I have prescription WileyX glasses. Two pairs of them both tinted and polarized.

Twisted on left Zak on right.
All impact rated for 50BMG :)p:p:eek::eek:), but they are impact rated polycarbonate etc blah blah blah.
image.jpg

I couldn't find a reasonable optometrist this year (2015) so I didn't use the insurance or I'd have a third pair but in clear.

Oh my reason why:

I am a red head with blue eyes and I am light sensitive and when I need them damnit I NEED THEM.

I only have two eyes. Look up soldiers glasses by WileyX (they don't allow third parties to out lenses in their glasses) and what their face looks like after an IED blast... They may have facial damage but their eyes are fine.

http://www.wileyx.com/community/testimonials

Last Edited:
I have a pair of DeWalts - which I got at Ace -

and I have a pair of top Readers which I got thru Duluth Trading: Kinda like these:
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/...s-82383.aspx?ev3=pdp-related-products-default
But the reader portion is at the top - when sighting I can see my front sight clearly only with the reader diopter. Better would be a "computer" focal length.

I am in the market for a replacement pair for this season.

I also need a pair for riding.

The Wileys look expensive, until you price Oakleys :eek:

ESS is reviewed by NutNFancy
ESS Crossbow/Suppressor
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/essgoggles.html
CROSSBOW Unit Issue, NSN is 4240-01-583-5742
Polarized adds ~$74.00

Mine weren't cheap but since I use them on a daily basis in sunny weather and they work great while on the range, on my quad, or in the car, they are worth the money to me. If I remember right, the pair with anti-fog on the rx lenses was about $400. I doubt I will ever wear another brand of sunglasses but I cringe to think of buying another pair.

Although I usually buy quality sun glasses cause the cheap ones give me head aches,I have bought some cheapo glasses that are pretty good. I had to wear these smoke glasses cause just the the white from the snow screwed with my eyes
Those are Bombers at about $25
My sun glasses are Arnettes
Riding glasses should be goggles if possible. The dirt and bugs come from all angles.
Nothing like flying down the hiway at 70 and get something in your eye

Riding glasses should be goggles if possible. The dirt and bugs come from all angles.
Nothing like flying down the hiway at 70 and get something in your eye

I have some fingerless gloves - used to wear them all the time - I went thru a cloud of bugs in the country - thought they would be something like mayflies - turned out to be bees. Got a stinger really deep in my knuckle.

I wear Mechanix gloves now.

I ordered a pair of these:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JXX0CG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

31KkA%2B8gfcL.jpg

I'll let you know what I think once I get some time with them.

I am thinking of their, ESS, suppressor model for use in the helmet.

I may have to consider these - Bullet Proof !

1. 41Uw6DfVUzL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg
    Hot Military Bullet-Proof CROSSBOW Tactical Goggles Army Sunglasses Eyewear Bicycle Glasses with 3 Lens Original…
    $19.99

That price and bullet proof ! Wow!
...They could't be knock-offs on Amazon ...

Nothing much to add other than my prescription glasses are polycarbonate. Which is good because when shooting flintlocks you sometimes can get a flint shard or spark flying back and hit you in the eye , or this case lens.
Andy

Not seeing a discussion thread

What do people recommend for Sunglasses for use on the Range and while Riding ?

(And why)

ps
I found some for sale:

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/forums/non-firearm-item-classifieds.41/

personally, I have been wearing Bolle Vigilantes or Parols with the changeable lenses (not recommended changing too often because they will lose their spring) and the removable prescription lenses for about 15 years now. Have gone through several sets (glasses like gloves and hats on motorcycles seem to be consumable items. I keep a dark pair for day riding and a lemon yellow lenses pair for night riding and shooting sometimes if I am not wearing my prescription safety glasses. Other than fries the only French thing I buy.
They used to sell these at Wally World and I could get a prescription done as well for less than $100.00. Now, through Amazon $150.00 plus for the whole set up. Glasses usually about $70 plus clear insert with no prescription about $20.00 to 30 then about $30.00 to do the prescriptions. At least that was about 2.5 years ago. I like they way they wrap around and keep the bugs, dust out. They can be a bit tweaky but easy to pop the prescription insert out and clean separately. probably on my 5th or 6th pair. i am hard on glasses because I ride my motorcycles a lot (over 200,000 miles in the last 16 years or so).
I have an old pair where i am hardwiring in the outer/tinted lenses for SHTF. I figure any recent prescription at that point is better than nothing. I can still pass the eye exam for the DOL, though.

Brutus Out

Coming back from Sturgis.jpg

I ordered a pair of these:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JXX0CG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
View attachment 281087
I'll let you know what I think once I get some time with them.

Arrived Friday, didn't have much chance to wear yet. Seem comfortable enough - but not hugely more than my Dewalts (from Ace) and the Remingtons (I got mine at Sportsmans ~$12)

I'll try them this week and report back.

Now if I can just find my yellow orb ....

Ugh.
I have decided I want polarized for the road.

http://www.esseyepro.com/Crossbow-Polarized-Gray-Lens_202_detail.html

I paid under $50 for the frames, 2 sets of lenses, 2 cases (one hard, one soft) including shipping.

Just the lenses, polarized, are double that! AND that causes them to loose some of the Mil-Spec ratings.
"ESS Polarized Crossbow™ lenses meet ANSI Z87.1, but not U.S. Mil Spec 31013."

Oakley Hijinks Rx transitions. Like my glasses big when riding the moto. Transitions work with UV so they don't work behind the helmet visor but they work great when visor is up which is most of the time.
I wear the same glasses while shooting and bicycle riding. They are very protective.
I don't wear polarized lense while riding because of the very reason why they are popular... They cut down glare. I need to see that oil spot at a stop light or broken glass or water puddle and if wearing good polarized glass they may not allow me to see those things that I want to avoid.

For shooting glasses I wear wrap arounds from the NRA Store. One yellow and one clear, both with side panels. These are designed to fit over my regular eyeglasses which are rated polycarbonate lenses in a metal frame. ANSI Z87.1. At $19.00 each + Shipping they make an effective eye protection package!

Last Edited:
I use Oakley M frames and lenses. I remember back the late 80's, early 90's, Oakley had an add running in some of the mags. They took a pair of M frame glasses, and at 15 yards with a 12 gauge shotgun. Shot the glasses and not a single pellet went through the lense. Big dents and scratches but no penetration.

blog_Oakley-Blades-ad_zpsyt5vrllc.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads