Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Sunday morning Jerky...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cogs, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Cogs

Cogs Washougal, WA. Volunteer Coordinator Staff Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Awe, the rugged smell of Mesquite seeping through the cracks of the smoker in the early morning while enjoying a hot Irish coffee in anticipation of a fresh batch of savory beef jerky! A simple pleasure, but one I like to visit often.

etrain16, Tbucket and Joe13 like this.
  2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

This is me green with envy:D

etrain16 and Cogs like this.
  3. Cogs

Cogs Washougal, WA. Volunteer Coordinator Staff Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Yeah, Joe13, I didn't want to feel the envy, so, thought I'd beat you to it. Tying up new Salmon rigs now and getting ready to slay them guys soon. Anticipating a great fall Salmon run, this year, in the back yard (Washougal Rv). Gunna be lots of smoked Salmon this year. Yeah, baby!

Here's a pic of the back yard. Everyday's a beach party in warm weather!

10378003_1418239631790122_4320378770103570282_n.jpg

4. Cogs

T'was a fine marnin indeed! Taste tests are awesome. This batch will be history faster than you can say "Stack me up a double shot of Jameson!" better get here soon!

5. NoFlinch

NoFlinch In a van down by the river Owner of Cocaine addicted dog.

You lead a tough life!

I usually wake up to the smell of my dogs breath.

"Get up! Get up! Let's go Play!"

Did anyone ever come up with a "simple" recipe for "simple" smoked salmon?

I have some in the freezer, waiting for me to get enthused.

Cogs likes this.
  6. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

There were a few good ones in that thread from last week.

I'm a half salt/half brown sugar guy myself.

I like applewood. Not a huge fan of mesquite.

7. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Yep, but the basic alder for me. Put just enough salt/brown sugar on it to just soak through in 12 hours, 6:00pm-6:00am. Rinse/soak depending on texture, rack, dry, load and smoke!

Yep!

8. Cogs

I have a hard time with recipes. I can't seem to follow them. Like this batch of beef jerky, I had found a base recipe on the internet (Pepper, soy sauce, cayenne, garlic powder and that kind of stuff). Then I look in the cupboard... so, I substitute. I added Sriracha hot sauce, Yobubbleguma's Sweat n Sour sauce, African pepper, and darned if I can remember how much of each! Don't think I've ever followed the recipe to a tee. And haven't written down the exact amounts either. But each time, it turns out great.

Had the same luck with salmon batches (although I do use different ingredients for fish jerky. And yes on the apple and/or alder. (Mesquite is just too heavy for fish).

9. Cogs

Oh, one treat I discovered for the Salmon brine, is fresh ground Ginger root. Saw a recipe that called for that, tried it, and wow. Nice touch. Ever since, Ginger root is my go-to extra ingredient for salmon. (Still don't remember how much o_O).

Bill

10. Joe13

I like ginger and orange juice together in recipes:)

NoFlinch and Cogs like this.
  11. NoFlinch

NoFlinch In a van down by the river Owner of Cocaine addicted dog.

I can relate.

I had the local butcher shop smoke a side of pork ribs (NOT baby backs, REAL ribs:)).

Picked them up today. Butcher says to cook them in oven with bullion, garlic, bla, bla, bla. for 2 hrs to finish them.

I got a 2 cup measuring cup, added Braggs vinegar, onion/garlic powder, parsley, chocolate syrup, Agave, water, a few other things I can't remember.

I'm thinking of going into the rib business. They are unbelievable.

You can buy my recipe on line at;

whatthehelldidijustputinthatbatch.com:):confused::confused:

Joe13 and Cogs like this.
  12. Cogs

Better hurry up and buy that domain name! It's gotta be a winner!

So, you're down by the Rouge River, eh? And a fresh side of 'Unbelievable' smoked pork ribs, eh?.... Hold that thought. Be right there! :)

NoFlinch likes this.