JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have to admit my reading slipped quite a bit between the nonstop,eh, caca storm that has been family and professional life, coupled with the dumpster-fire known as 2020. Be that as it may, hope springs eternal, and now is time to think about what books to read this summer.

On that score, whatcha'reading? Thanks for sharing. :)

History books:

1st - Freedom Betrayed" by President Herbert Hoover. Hoover worked on this book his entire life. He literally called it his "Magnum Opus", and he was almost ready to publish it in 1960 when he passed. This should be read by everyone in the US.

The history's that John Toland wrote on WW2 are superb. The first, "The Rising Sun" get the 2 vol. hardcover set. WW2 told from the Japanese perspective and it won Toland the Pulitzer Prize. The 2nd: Adolph Hitler.

Lastly - The recent book that has redefined what historians believe about USSR's involvement in WW2 "The Chief Culprit: Stalin's Grand Design to Start World War II" by Victor Suvorov.

Nuff said. All great books.

Is it summer already???

Right now I'm reading the 2nd of Dean Koontz's books in the Jane Hawk series. It's about the elite of the world having developed injectable nano-particles that will self assemble inside the subjects brain into a mind control mechanism. The rabble, the deplorables, the two-legged meat sacks would all be leashed, while those designated by an "algorithm" as dangerous to the elites' future would be forced to commit suicide or discrediting acts of mass violence, then suicide. Pretty ugly considering todays' world...

I may decide to re-read Michener's "Space". A Michener book is always a project, but there is good info along with the inevitable drama. I think it's another timely read in addition to the above.

Books I've read this year...
. If You Can Keep It: the Forgotten Promise of American Liberty by Eric Metaxas
. Power, Faith & Fantasy: America in the Middle East 1776 to the Present by Michael B. Oren
. Bound for Canaan: the Underground Railroad and the War for the Soul of America by Fergus M. Bordewich
. Sinn Féin by Brian Feeney
. Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas
. Martin Luther by Eric Metaxas
. The Rashness of that Hour: Politics, Gettysburg and the Downfall of Confederate General Alfred Iverson by Robert Wynstra
. Ratification: The People Debate the Constitution by Pauline Maier

Books in progress...
. Socrates in the City by Eric Metaxas
. Honest Labour [last of 5 volumes of selected writings in the British magazine Working Wood] by Charles H. Haywood, 1936-1966

At the moment I am re-reading :
Lieutenant Emory Reports...By W.H. Emory / Edited by Ross Calvin
Lt. Emory did a reconnaissance in 1846 westward from Bent's Fort.
Very well written and still enjoyable today.

Next up...
Hmmm...Ain't sure yet.
Maybe Parkman's The Oregon Trail or Defoe's Robinson Crusoe ....

I do enjoy summer for many things....the time to read is one close to the top of the list.
Andy

Haven't read much since the plandemic started, but this just arrived today from the ex for my Fathers Day present.
Looks to be a jolly good fun read...
TYFMS.jpg

I wrote a mystery/thriller novel and it's back from editing. Just waiting for family and friends to finish their copies and give feedback before submittal for formatting. Hopefully will have it available for Kindle readers and paperback this summer.

It was written for male and female readers with plenty of firearm and vehicle references, as well as touchy-feely content. It's a difficult line to walk when you try to appeal to as broad of an audience as possible.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top