JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Taking wind out of anti-gunners' sails

Gov. Inslee signs suicide prevention bill backed by gun rights groups

Washington Gov. Jay Inslee this morning signed an ambitious suicide prevention and education bill that was unusual in its development and perhaps surprising to some in its final form, because it involved input from two major gun rights organizations including the Second Amendment Foundation, and will rely heavily on these groups to make it work.

<broken link removed>

"Safer Homes Task Force that is created by the new law.":eek:
Sounds a little creepy, even Orwellian.

BTW, anybody know/guess why WA has so much higher than average suicide rates?

Inslee pretty much had to sign this bill, specifically since his EO about suicide prevention.

Dave Workman said:
According to the Governor's office, Sections 3 and 9 were vetoed.

The part that upsets me, is his partial veto. To me, the partial veto shows Inslee's total disdain for gun owners and those in the firearm business. I believe that he vetoed section 3 because it made 2A advocates part of the solution and there was no way he was going to let any of these dealers of death and gun nuts be portrayed in a good light, period.

Here's what he's against:

"Section 3" said:
…the department shall develop and administer a safe homes project for firearms dealers and firearms ranges to encourage voluntary participation in a program to implement suicide awareness and prevention strategies.

"Section 3" said:
… develop criteria for certification of a firearms dealer or firearms range as a safe homes partner …

"Section 3(3)a" said:
Posting of suicide awareness and prevention posters, developed by the safe homes task force, at the firearms dealer's or firearms range's premises

"Section 3(3)b" said:
Distribution of suicide awareness and prevention brochures, developed by the safe homes task force, to firearms purchasers and customers

"Section 3(3)c" said:
Completion by the firearms dealer and employees, or firearms range and employees, of an online suicide awareness and prevention training developed by the safe homes task force

"Section 3(4)a" said:
Provide technical assistance to firearms dealers and firearms ranges that want to participate in the safe homes project

I'm sure that the only reason that he let the SAF and the NRA stay on the firearms subcommittee is because they were the ones who drafted this bill and taking them off of it would be bad publicity, especially in an election year. I would also bet that he thinks he can load the firearms subcommittee with enough anti's to override anything that those murderously evil organizations propose or recommend. It wouldn't surprise me if the "two other interested parties, selected by the co-chairs of the subcommittee" were Bloomberg plants.

Ray

Government preventing suicides... :rolleyes: yeah they are likely to be effective in doing that. This is just grandstanding by the individuals involved. Just another BS commission. I'm not surprised Gottlieb is involved, and NRA too. "Lie with dogs, don't be surprised if you end up with fleas."

I'll bet they didn't even consider the possibility of a partial veto.

Want to prevent suicides? Have a healthy economy. People do suicide over being out of work; I had an uncle who did that. As to having a healthy economy:

"Trade and commerce, if they were not made of India rubber, would never manage to bounce over the obstacles which legislators are continually putting in their way; and, if one were to judge these men wholly by the effects of their actions, and not partly by their intentions, they would deserve to be classed and punished with those mischievous persons who put obstructions on the railroads."
-- Henry David Thoreau

"Safer Homes Task Force that is created by the new law.":eek:
Sounds a little creepy, even Orwellian.

BTW, anybody know/guess why WA has so much higher than average suicide rates?

Sure, Its the weather on the west side. Drives people crazy a little at a time until something snaps. Plus being close to Portland.

There is some truth to that. SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) I think they call it. Too many gray skies. Lots of social and financial pressure. And the nuts run the asylum, it appears:

Will Seattle say 'yes' to drugs, while saying 'no' to guns?

A story in today's Seattle Times is giving some people fits because the newspaper is reporting that the Jet City "could become the first city in the U.S. with a public site where users can inject and smoke hard drugs under medical supervision."

<broken link removed>

Sure, Its the weather on the west side. Drives people crazy a little at a time until something snaps. Plus being close to Portland.
Finland used to have a comparatively high rate of Suicide a while back. Many said it was weather related.
Hard to prove things like that but it deems plausible. The Fins I'd bet accomplished their suicides without guns I'd reckon though.

I totally believe it. I lived over on the wet side for years and it was the gloomiest , most depressing place Ive ever lived. 3-5 months out of the year was great but the rest was a drag. It was like being in Scotland. You need sun to recharge the battery every now and then and when its overcast for 4 months at a time it just sucks the life out of you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top