JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been hunting an area with my son this season where the bucks are very nocturnal and have plenty of tree cover to more around. There are also several clear cut areas, but we haven't seen them there at all. I've been thinking on getting myself a climbing tree stand, especially for the second bowhunting season. I have very little experience with them and don't like them too much, but I also know that the technology has improved a lot since the last time I tried one (9+ years). Any suggestions? Advantages and disadvantages?

Tree climbing stands are pretty good. A few things to remember about them. They take time to setup properly. it depends on the tree. Think branches, shooting angles, shooting directions etc... . What goes up must come down (The stand) and ppl don't keep the instructions close at hand so they can remove the stand safety. They don't research but rather buy because of the photo on the box looks like it will work.
Key things to thing about
Research:
the weight limits
The operation of the tree stand - if you have a certain disability can you get it up and down
Will it fit the tree(s) in your hunting area
Are you able to stay in the stand for hours with minimal movement
Do you have the proper clothing for tree stand hunting. The cold is a lot colder when you don't move
Your tree stand fits you - you may weight 200 lbs, but only be 5' 6"
Practice putting it together and taking it apart
Here is youtube review for one with a lot of features I like.
Ol Man Aluminum Climber Review - YouTube

Nice stand there. I might even trust it.
Main thing I wonder about is being still. It would be hard to just sit there for hours.
And keeping your feet warm.Keeping the body warm isn't hard,it's the feet that always get cold when just sitting around

I don't own it, but am considering it. as to how high that depends on many variables that you have to decide how high when you pick the site.
mjbskwin you re right. I have had Cayenne sprinkled in the socks suggest to how keep the feet warm.

You might want to check out the Archerytalk forum. It has threads on recommended treestands. One thing to keep in mind too is are you going to put this up on public or private land? If public are you going to put it up and take it down every day? Haul it 50 yards or 2 miles? Those factors would impact what kind of stand you might want.
Another thing, I am a rock climber of many many years and have no fear whatsoever of heights. (Lots of other fears just not that one.) Except a funny thing happened when using a treestand for a hunt out of state. Wasn't fearful or anything, but I felt off balance when shooting from a stand. Practice corrects shot placement, but I never felt truly comfortable. Nice views though.

Bac when I was managing editor of HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR, I did column on hunting accidents, and high on the list were mishaps involving tree stands. I know a lot of people use them, and there are some good ones out there, but they spook me. A lot of people simply do not know how to properly use one of these contraptions.

Keeping your feet warm simply involves heater socks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top