JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In that price range I would go shadow 2 or the Walther q5 steel frame. If you have more refined tastes take a look at Atlas guns(2011). Yes they are worth it. They are a dream to shoot, and one of the most mechanically accurate pistols I have ever shot.

The Q5 Match SF has such a large price tag on it only because of a steel frame. Save a few bucks and go Q5 match.

I have a witness elite stock 3. It is a freaking gorgeous pistol but is manual safety only.

A decocker version of the witness elite series would be excellent.

If decocker is a must, Sig is hard to beat. I collected a lot of CZ pistols, then bought a Sig and it's pretty much night and day for build quality. Not that CZ is low quality, but they don't machine a CZ nearly as well.

If your criteria is:
  • Steel frame
  • No safety and/or Decocker only

It really eliminates the majority of options out there. The only ones that come to mind are Sig/HK/FN. Almost all striker fired guns with the exception of the Walther are pretty much polymer, at least that I can think of. Most steel frame guns that are DA/SA have a safety with the exception of those mentioned that have decockers only.

This might be heresy to some but frankly I think all "combat" firearms that I own of marginally similar quality. I didn't really notice a step change in much of the machining/attention to detail until I went to a hand-fit gun like a Dan Wesson (small amounts of hand fitting), Les Baer and Wilson Combat or go completely the opposite direction and get a nice revolver like a USFA Colt SAA clone.

Also nothing wrong with getting a higher "tier" of gun used, but based on your original post and stated purpose, first and foremost this is going to be a home defense weapon, with that in mind I would go with Sig P226 (mk25 etc). It's what rides on my night stand.
thumbnail_IMG_1636.jpg

Last Edited:
In that price range I would go shadow 2 or the Walther q5 steel frame. If you have more refined tastes take a look at Atlas guns(2011). Yes they are worth it. They are a dream to shoot, and one of the most mechanically accurate pistols I have ever shot.

I think this will be my next pistol, going back and forth between the Hyperion and Erebus but these are about 3x his stated budget and sadly finding a used one would be a serious test of patience I would think, but agreed they look like awesome firearms.

I'm surprised no one has yet suggested a revolver. I'm in something of the same position, having at least two handguns in each of the standard calibers (.380, 9mm, .40, .45), but I'm not terribly excited about any of them (well, except my Kimber Super Carry Ultra .45). My thinking is to get a classic .357 revolver (probably S&W or Ruger) and put some variety in my range sessions. Of course, the snake guns (Colt Python, for example) are out of the price range. The new Colt King Cobra is a possibility but I haven't found any in stock.

I'm surprised no one has yet suggested a revolver. I'm in something of the same position, having at least two handguns in each of the standard calibers (.380, 9mm, .40, .45), but I'm not terribly excited about any of them (well, except my Kimber Super Carry Ultra .45). My thinking is to get a classic .357 revolver (probably S&W or Ruger) and put some variety in my range sessions. Of course, the snake guns (Colt Python, for example) are out of the price range. The new Colt King Cobra is a possibility but I haven't found any in stock.

I think the OPs primary purpose for the gun is as a home defense weapon and secondarily as a fun range gun. They also wanted a rail to mount a light. I love shooting my revolvers but in the case of a defensive weapon, especially one that is essentially going to serve as one that you don't need to carry on your person I'd prefer the higher round count that a semi-automatic would afford if I wanted it to be a pistol.

I'd highly recommend a Dan Wesson revolver or older (pre Hillary Hole) S&W 629. I'm not a huge fan of Ruger's standard line but that's more of a personal thing.

A revolver may very well be in the near future. I'm strongly thinking of making my p-01 omega into my nightstand gun by adding some Truglo TFX sights to it. I shoot it well, I trust it and it will accept my TLR-1 WML. My VP9SK served that duty for awhile but I've found that my grip doesn't agree with it for range duty. I constantly rest the palm of my support hand just barely on the slide release causing it to not lock back after the last round every other mag or so. Oddly enough I have a strange ejection issue with my p-01 in that it ejects the casing so hard it will bounce off the dividing walls indoors and hit me in the face almost every round. But as a nightstand gun that doesn't matter so much. I'll just put a couple mags through it each trip to the range to ensure I still trust it.

With all of that said, I still want a full size that I can shoot accurately with at the range. I'd still like a rail just because...well, why not? They don't get in my way and they allow you to mount the light later if you want. If I can sell my VP9SK off, this will help me get to that next level pistol

A revolver may very well be in the near future. I'm strongly thinking of making my p-01 omega into my nightstand gun by adding some Truglo TFX sights to it. I shoot it well, I trust it and it will accept my TLR-1 WML. My VP9SK served that duty for awhile but I've found that my grip doesn't agree with it for range duty. I constantly rest the palm of my support hand just barely on the slide release causing it to not lock back after the last round every other mag or so. Oddly enough I have a strange ejection issue with my p-01 in that it ejects the casing so hard it will bounce off the dividing walls indoors and hit me in the face almost every round. But as a nightstand gun that doesn't matter so much. I'll just put a couple mags through it each trip to the range to ensure I still trust it.

With all of that said, I still want a full size that I can shoot accurately with at the range. I'd still like a rail just because...well, why not? They don't get in my way and they allow you to mount the light later if you want. If I can sell my VP9SK off, this will help me get to that next level pistol

As someone else nicely pointed out, I missed your wanting the rail, which is no doubt why no one mentioned revolvers!

A revolver with a rail isn't unheard of. TRR8 has a rail.

CZ P-01 is a great choice. I'd go with longer barrel and higher capacity if it's a nightstand gun, but I've been trusting my P-01 as my primary carry gun for a long time.

Adding mepros on my P-01 was much needed.

A cajunized SP-01 Tactical is an option as well if you don't want a manual safety.

'm surprised no one has yet suggested a revolver.
Well I'll suggest it - and most of the lack of 'suggestions' is due to lack of experience.
It seems most espouse capacity and the inability to really appreciate a fine revolver.
I carry (and shoot) revolvers regularly and never feel 'undergunned' with a revolver.
IMG_0270_3 (1).jpg

Last Edited:
6B904FB5-F65C-443F-8E55-98BC36F24A4E.jpeg If a 1911 type I say the Springfield TRP
Operator in 10mm. Just screams sexy.

The STI's are the shizzle, I've always wanted one, but maybe not on the practical/combat/home defense type.

I'd go with the Wilson Combat Brigadier 92.

They're not easy to find, but the best shooting, most reliable, and downright gorgeous pistol I've ever found is my CZ75 D PCR 9mm. I added a set of the Truglo TFX Pro night sights and it just made it that much better. Accurate as heck, easy to carry, completely reliable. No rail, though, so that might not work for you. But still.
C3048A66-7403-4A4B-BB30-A99E44B0A46A.jpeg

They're not easy to find, but the best shooting, most reliable, and downright gorgeous pistol I've ever found is my CZ75 D PCR 9mm. I added a set of the Truglo TFX Pro night sights and it just made it that much better. Accurate as heck, easy to carry, completely reliable. No rail, though, so that might not work for you. But still.
View attachment 592747
I have the P01 omega and when I ordered it, at that time I was really on the fence about getting a PCR. Only went with the Omega for the rail slot. Love that gun. I need to get those night sights where did you get yours?

I have the P01 omega and when I ordered it, at that time I was really on the fence about getting a PCR. Only went with the Omega for the rail slot. Love that gun. I need to get those night sights where did you get yours?
They're about $110 on Amazon. They're amazing because they're fiber optic as well as tritium, so the fiber optics are illuminated by ambient light during the day and tritium at night. A lot of people with CZ Compact models use them based on responses I've gotten. Just make sure and order the CZ 75 variant and specify the TFX Pro version. The regular Truglo are fiber optic only. Click here for the link at Truglo

They're about $110 on Amazon. They're amazing because they're fiber optic as well as tritium, so the fiber optics are illuminated by ambient light during the day and tritium at night. A lot of people with CZ Compact models use them based on responses I've gotten. Just make sure and order the CZ 75 variant and specify the TFX Pro version. The regular Truglo are fiber optic only. Click here for the link at Truglo
I have a question since you're a CZ owner. Do you happen to know anyone around who does work on CZs specifically? I'm trying to do a little tweaking on the ejection of my p01 because when I shoot it the casings pop up and hit me in the face or forehead. Kinda takes away from the enjoyment of shooting.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top