JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have done some searching on gun vices, most are gun holding mounts. Not necessarily securely mounted. I am having an issue removing a flash suppressor to change it out. so I need a secure way to hold the barrel / rifle to unscrew it. I'm looking at most of the big online retailers, and see mostly rifle vices. they don't look real secure. Give me some suggestions for what to hold an AR style rifle to unscrew barrel suppressors, and secure it in general. Yes most repairs don't require a vice to hold it.

thx

I also needed a secure way to remove a flash hider.
I made mine out of a 4" long 2x2 piece of oak trim
I drilled a hole slightly smaller then the diameter of the barrel, lengthwise through the center of the oak piece.
Then I cut it lengthwise in half.
I bought some powdered rosin to sprinkle on the wood before I clamped it around the barrel near the flash hider threads.
Put in my big vise and cranked it down. Worked like a charm.
I found the rosin in a bowling alley vending machine of all places.

If you have a lot of extra cash laying around then the best way is Geissele's Bolt Rod tool for $99 bucks.

p_100011315_3.jpg

Last Edited:
well i dont have piles of cash, so I cant buy the perfect item for everything, but I do want something to securely hold teh barrel.thanks Ron, I will consider them... I cant believe how tight this flash hider is...

well i dont have piles of cash, so I cant buy the perfect item for everything, but I do want something to securely hold teh barrel.thanks Ron, I will consider them... I cant believe how tight this flash hider is...

If someone used loctite on the flash hider threads, it may be necessary to apply heat to get it loose. The heat breaks the bond of the loctite.

I'm "Old School" and go along with JBet98.
A good 6' vise securely bolted to your bench and a couple of notched hardwood blocks.
Will do for most AR work.:D Secure the barrel and the barrel nut, or the flash hider will turn off with a "Universal Tool" and a short length of pipe.;)

Has the flash hider been permanently attached? Pinned and welded? On barrels shorter than 16" they are sometimes affixed this way so that you don't end up with a SBR. If done correctly it is hard to see the welded pin.

I finally got some time to remove it. I did also use a standard wrench ( its snap on, so its a little longer) rather than the AR15 mutli wrench I have. No issues. removed and replaced w/o issue. thanks for all the thoughts, I think I will still look into some of your suggestions.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top