JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Now, I know the mantra as well as any other hunter, you don't share your hunting place with others so you don't get crowded out. I'm new to hunting in this area in general, but I have no clue where to even find the elk. I'm more familiar with Colorado where elk are everywhere. I was hoping people could give me a few areas that I could go scouting and learn for myself where I would want to go hunting at. Thanks in advance.

Indian Heaven Just North of you.
Be careful of Bear and Mountain Lions.
Saturated game area ... a lot of lakes all over up there.

I have seen nice game (Elk) up in that area. (I am from Oregon and Can't help you over here.)

Back side of Goose Lake is a box canyon with a 1000 foot drop from the high range grazing areas ...
South facing makes it a warm micro-climate.

Never been there ... but the map says it is a nice spot.

IndianHeaven_zps4164f382.png

Now, I know the mantra as well as any other hunter, you don't share your hunting place with others so you don't get crowded out. I'm new to hunting in this area in general, but I have no clue where to even find the elk. I'm more familiar with Colorado where elk are everywhere. I was hoping people could give me a few areas that I could go scouting and learn for myself where I would want to go hunting at. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to make sure I head out there some time. Right were the flag is looks like a perfect bench that elk just love. That area just north of it looks pretty good too.

If you go to Washington Fish and Wildlife's website you can see the success rates for all the units in washington for every speices. It also tells you how many hunter there were ect, ect. I would use this to pick a unit, then just start scoping it on google earth, get maps to plan where you want to go and then grab your hiking boots and get out there. The best tips and info you get for where to hunt is first hand. It is very difficult to find out where active logging, gates and other resctrictions are with out actually walking the unit.

I have seen nice game (Elk) up in that area. (I am from Oregon and Can't help you over here.)

Back side of Goose Lake is a box canyon with a 1000 foot drop from the high range grazing areas ...

Also be careful that you stay off Indian lands. I used to hike and backpack there quite a bit and IIRC everything North of NF24 was off limits, even the huckleberries.

a lot of us dont have the time or money to hunt utah, arizona, colorado. we need to hunt in the home state. oregon and washington both have good elk populations. it is just a matter of finding them. if a fellow has plenty of cash you can hire a guide service to lead you by the hand to the game. from that point all you have to do is aim and pull the trigger. i have very little respect for the people that have lots of cash and have someone lead them to the game where basically all they have to do is shoot the animal. no gutting, no skinning, no hauling the animal out. and what some of them call a camp would be classified as a resort by most of us. they are no more of a hunter than the buffalo shooters of the past.

a lot of us dont have the time or money to hunt utah, arizona, colorado. we need to hunt in the home state. oregon and washington both have good elk populations. it is just a matter of finding them. if a fellow has plenty of cash you can hire a guide service to lead you by the hand to the game. from that point all you have to do is aim and pull the trigger. i have very little respect for the people that have lots of cash and have someone lead them to the game where basically all they have to do is shoot the animal. no gutting, no skinning, no hauling the animal out. and what some of them call a camp would be classified as a resort by most of us. they are no more of a hunter than the buffalo shooters of the past.

True.
But some people do.
My family has shot huge deer, and it wasn't in Oregon or Washington.
Mexico, Utah, and Idaho.
Elk are different.
They take time to understand how to hunt.
Best advice. Find some guys that use horses, and have a camp that they go to every year. The ones that stay for 1-2 weeks.
They pattern and understand elk.
Trust me, find a group and get to be buddies.

Get out in the brush, find sign usually in the road is a good start. If it has not been run over it might be fresh. If it is still warm it is. Now usually what you have found is a herd of cows. From there once you catch up to them, start watching them. Get your self a map and log all your information, Herd after herd.
Spend time in the woods and you will find elk are plentiful, the more time you get out in the hills the more Elk you will encounter.
One thing for sure it is good to have friends in the forest service, loggers friends can be helpful also.
Silver Hand

:huh:
★
I just read an article about central washing having major hoof rot disease problems to the total of 1 & 5 having problems.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top