JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an old PC that runs my CNC Router (a machine tool, not a wifi router). It appears to have become ill during the day when I stepped out. The machine ran fine in the morning but when I came back from an errand the computer was off. Attempts to re-boot were unsuccessful. I get assorted variations of snow, colored squares or stripes on the monitor and it makes the normal disc boot noises so it may be a video problem. I'm not averse to replacing the old computer but need a new one to run XP since that's what the Router software requires. Also, the machine runs off of the serial printer port so there needs some sort of interface there since if, as I've heard, those aren't put on computers anymore. Plus I hope to recover the program files since my back-up regimen leaves something to be desired. Can anyone suggest a store that can supply the new machine and, more importantly for one not a computer guru (that be me) perform the transmigration of souls to the new machine? Preferably in the Clackamas to Salem OR area. A couple of phone calls tell me that Saturday isn't the best time to try to do this but I'm hoping to get something happening pretty quick since the CNC Router is critical to my meager business.

Know any good ones?

Sounds like your GPU or onboard graphics card is dying, also likely to be the cable running from board to the monitor.

Fear not this isn't the end, replacement of parts would be cheap though hard to come by since its on Windows XP.

However, that said there is some fortune for you in the replacement department.

windows xp computer - Newegg.com

You'll find replacement XP towers around the $120 mark (which is cheap and decent considering most older XP's are locked in IT office land or held hostage in a warehouse unseen)

I've used Nerds on Call for years on these sorts of things. They might be able to repair your unit as finding a new computer that will run Win XP might prove to be problematic whereas replacing a defective component, i.e., the video card, may be a simpler cost effective solution.

Nerds on Call
7283 SW Garden Home Rd
Portland, OR 97223

Romain is the guy I'd ask for. He's great to work with.

You can also call just about ANYONE in New Delhi India for your computer troubleshooting needs..... ;):D
Now why didn't I think of that. Since I'm going to be really wealthy soon thanks to my friend the Prince in Nigeria, I'll just send all my banking and password info to India. Or would Bangladesh be better?

That's what I love about this forum! You can always count on someone being helpful!

In the mean time, Does Wn7 also run XP software? Or did His Billness and crew dump everyone when coming up with the new OS? I'm thinking it might which still leaves me with the serial port issue. Googling around it looks like there are a number of work-arounds. I just don't know enough to sort it out myself and Saturday isn't proving a good time to get help :(

Head over to Fry's and talk to one of the "kids" that work there. They may be able to get you up and running REAL quick?

Found a local kid who just hung out his shingle a few months ago. Seems to know what he's about. Will know soon. He's being very responsive and he's close.

Now, I hope the guy in Bangladesh doesn't bill my card until the fund from my Nigerian Prince come through!!:eek::rolleyes:o_O

old systems via e-bay or a recycling center like The Free Geek (near OMSI) or a re-claim business like Computer Drive Connection Inc,
and put one in your supply closet for "next time."

If your business is dependent upon this , you need backup.

FYI I suspect the port you are referring to is not a serial port (9 pins). I suspect the plug has 25 pins and is a parallel port / printer port.
Curious as to what software you are using, Mach3 by chance?
Your software may be able to run on a newer version of windows, it may be worth investigating.
Both of my mills are currently setup to connect to the computers via parallel / printer port. As I am looking to update to newer computers I am contemplating replacing my current breakout boards with ethernet smooth steppers. Doing so would allow me to eliminate the need for a parallel port and replace it with an ethernet connection. USB breakout boards are also available however I have heard of people having intermittent issues with them.
The following link is to warp9 the producer of the smooth stepper boards. Don't know why its listing as home.:confused:
Home

You are correct. Mach3 and the 25 pin printer port. Had the nomenclature wrong. I would be interested on how you fare if you change over. I'm late to the party on figuring out computers. Thanks for the input.

• The following is from Newfangled solution s site and may help your geek if he needs to reinstall Mach3. This is from their FAQs F.A.Q. - Newfangled Solutions
  • At a minimum, any license files and profile XMLs (as well as any custom macros, screen sets, or brains used by those profiles) should be backed up. In practice, it may be easier to keep a current backup of the entire Mach3 directory as this ensures everything necessary to rebuild the system should be available in the event of a catastrophic failure. The definition of a current backup is one that has been done after any permanent changes have been made to the software to alter it from its previous state. This includes such things as changes to any licenses, macros, screen sets, brains, or plugins as well as the modification of any configurations. We recommend using a USB flash drive or some other portable storage device as the backup media.
With this lead he should be able to recover your Mach3 install and transfer it to a "new" computer if necessary.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top