JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My father is retired and living in Portland now after spending a lot of time hunting in Michigan. His hunting days are over but he still loves to shoot, so we are thinking about hitting up the Portland Gun Club to do some shooting there. We were thinking of going in on an over/under so we have a gun to take to the range, but I'm unsure as to what would fit the role.

I'm guessing we have a ballpark budget of no more than $600, so if anyone has any suggestions in that price range I'd love to hear about them.

For an occasional hunt, or for an informal trap or skeet shoot on the family farm, a budget priced over-under can work. But if you're really serious about trap shooting, remember nobody shoots more than a trap shooter or skeet shooter. The cheap over unders are not gonna hold up. Nor will they be a good fit for trap shooting if you're really serious.

WAYNO.

If you are going to only spend $600 for an over under,don't worry what brand you buy.
When you get in to the top of the lower priced O/U,$1500,then start to worry about brand. But usually at that price and above ,the guns get to be very nice guns. $1500 is a good O/U,but not high priced.
$2500 isn't even medium priced yet.
Now,with that being said,I heard about a hippy shooting at a fancy gun club with everyone talking behind his back. Not wearing proper clothing and such.
They left him alone after he started knocking down everything that flew with his lowly Rem 870!
Not always the gun,but the operator
Good luck!

Well I got a Stoeger condor. Took it out for a round of sporting clays this last Saturday and love it. It has extractors (not ejectors) but I think I like that better actually. The only down side I see is the lack of barrel selecting like most expensive O/U's have.

Comments about <$600 guns all being the same are more or less right. Unfortunately O/U's are spendy :(

I used the Remington badged Baikal for years, actually a great gun, unless you're pro level, you're not going to wear it out anytime soon. It's a bit like safes, there's a huge price gap before 'shotty snobs' start saying they're any good or not.

I shoot trap......mostly with my Kreighof, superposed or Schuler. I picked up a Remington 3200 trap the other day that needed some stock repair for 500.00. Gave my smith 100.00 to do the work.....very nice gun. It is where Kreighof got the design for there great M32. Don't buy junk......look for a deal on a quality gun.

spend some time hanging out at your local club on "open to public" shoots.
Talk to people and ask around, you may be able to get into something used.
A lot of trap guys have guns sitting around they dont use anymore.

I watched a couple guys a couple of months ago at the trap range. One had a bolt action shotgun and the other had a coach gun.
Surprisingly they were hitting birds. Look around you might find a Browning BT99 cheaper than other trap guns. I shoot next to a guy with a Remington 870 all the time. He is a great shot, and rarely misses. It is a field grade gun as well.

Check out Mid-Valley pro shop (about 11 minutes drive from Woodburn Outlets)... they often have used guns, o/u in that price range. They have an online list, or call and ask Dave what he has.

Make sure when you go to Mid Valley Clays to look at the cork board in the hallway , where the restrooms are.
In that price range you might get close to a CZ SxS G2 bobwhite.
I like shotguns to bird hunt more than clays.
bbbass; have you ever hunted Huns in E.. Ore. My GSH jumped half dozen up near a small quarry pond they flew low hard and fast.

I'm currently using a CZ Mallard Huglu O/U. (Low end gun)Thought I would try a lesser expensive over under first then maybe pass it on to my grandson to use in a couple years.. All of the sudden when shooting trap I am hitting 21-22 targets out of 25. That's amazing for me as I just started shooting trap and wasn't doing well with my semi auto. The gun fits me fairly well but shoots very well. This one is a 2007 model I think from the serial number I see (Not sure though) it has a double trigger which I never in my life thought I'd use and seems to be a pretty tight gun after a few hundred shells run through it though I'm sure it has a lot more than that given its age and look. I bought it in Oct for $350. I will probably keep it forever..

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top