Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Suggestions for an over/under for trap and clays

Discussion in 'Shotgun Discussion' started by kevbot, Apr 18, 2015.

1. kevbot

kevbot Portland New Member

My father is retired and living in Portland now after spending a lot of time hunting in Michigan. His hunting days are over but he still loves to shoot, so we are thinking about hitting up the Portland Gun Club to do some shooting there. We were thinking of going in on an over/under so we have a gun to take to the range, but I'm unsure as to what would fit the role.

I'm guessing we have a ballpark budget of no more than $600, so if anyone has any suggestions in that price range I'd love to hear about them.

2. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

600 dollar over unders are going to be imports, russian or turkish probably. A bit heavy, not well fit and clunky.

3. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

$600 is tough, CZ is your best bet if you don't go for a used Beretta or something similar.

4. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

just looked up the stevens 555, turkish built in the 600-700 range

5. kevbot

kevbot Portland New Member

Thanks for the info guys. In case I can't get him to up the price range, I'll keep an eye on those suggestions.

6. Stewage

Stewage Saint Helens, OR New Member

I was looking into the Maverick Hunter. Its made by Mossberg. Never known anyone that has had/shot one, but for ~$450 new I cant see the harm in trying.

7. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Stoeger makes a great side by side for about $350. I love mine and would look for an o/u from them.

8. WAYNO

WAYNO Oregon City Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

For an occasional hunt, or for an informal trap or skeet shoot on the family farm, a budget priced over-under can work. But if you're really serious about trap shooting, remember nobody shoots more than a trap shooter or skeet shooter. The cheap over unders are not gonna hold up. Nor will they be a good fit for trap shooting if you're really serious.

WAYNO.

9. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

If you are going to only spend $600 for an over under,don't worry what brand you buy.
    When you get in to the top of the lower priced O/U,$1500,then start to worry about brand. But usually at that price and above ,the guns get to be very nice guns. $1500 is a good O/U,but not high priced.
    $2500 isn't even medium priced yet.
    Now,with that being said,I heard about a hippy shooting at a fancy gun club with everyone talking behind his back. Not wearing proper clothing and such.
    They left him alone after he started knocking down everything that flew with his lowly Rem 870!
    Not always the gun,but the operator
    Good luck!

10. Stewage

Stewage Saint Helens, OR New Member

Well I got a Stoeger condor. Took it out for a round of sporting clays this last Saturday and love it. It has extractors (not ejectors) but I think I like that better actually. The only down side I see is the lack of barrel selecting like most expensive O/U's have.

11. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

If you want the culls to fly out,polish the chambers like the cowboy shooters do. The with the right little twitch as you open,they pop right out.

12. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Comments about <$600 guns all being the same are more or less right. Unfortunately O/U's are spendy :(

I used the Remington badged Baikal for years, actually a great gun, unless you're pro level, you're not going to wear it out anytime soon. It's a bit like safes, there's a huge price gap before 'shotty snobs' start saying they're any good or not.