Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Suggestions: .40 metal-frame pistol?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by B-Towner, Sep 27, 2010.

1. B-Towner

B-Towner Western Washington Member

Can anyone suggest a good .40S&W semi-automatic pistol with a metal frame? It wouldn't be for carry or home defense. I'd just use it at the range. I'd prefer full size.

Any favorites? Are there many choices?

2. nick425

nick425 Eastside of Lake Washington Member

Sig

3. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

CZ75

Hi Power

4. The Cheese

The Cheese somewhere special Member

This. :thumbup:

Get a 226 in 40 and have fun. The beretta 96 ain't bad, but I am much more impressed by the trigger on the sig. Other than the sig, and assuming $$ is no object, you can always get one of those Hi-Cap 1911's in 40. Supposed to be really fun and the mags hold a metric ton of ammo. Glocks can be had for cheap, but everyone has a glock. Same with XD's.

5. mattg521

mattg521 portland.,or Member

Cz75
    +1!

6. Will

Will Everett Active Member

If price is a concern a good pistol would be a Ruger P94, They can be found less than $400. Overall a solid shooter and well built.

7. Dell_dude

Dell_dude Vancouver, WA Member

Over in one.

P226

8. tbtravis

tbtravis SW WA Member

A bargain gun is a Stoeger Cougar. Soft shooting, reliable and accurate.
    And I just happen to have one for sale in the classified area.:D

9. d1esel

d1esel Ridgefield WA. Member

CZ

Beretta

Tanfoglio

10. U201494

U201494 Well-Known Member

Best deal going right now are the Smith & Wesson 3rd gen autos. Available in all steel and steel upper with an alloy frame for light weight, also blue and stainless versions of each. No more new production, but plenty of used available. A quick search on Google for these models will give you an idea of what they look like and the going rates, Smith & Wesson 3rd generation autos were THE standard issue gun for many PDs for many years, even after the spastic plastic took over. Look for models: 4006, 4053, 4013, 410, 4016, 4014, 4040PD.

11. supergenius

supergenius 206 Active Member

Baby eagle .40 compact

12. cossack

cossack Eastern WA New Member

I agree on the Smith and Wesson metal frame autos. I love my 915 9mm and have almost purchased a 4006 on several occasions. They represent an excellent value for the money. $400 or less should get you a great handgun.

13. B-Towner

B-Towner Western Washington Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I came into this leaning toward the Browning Hi-Power. I see lots of Sig P226s on GunBroker. Not many CZs in .40 there, nor Hi-Powers either. The S&W 4006 is an interesting choice. Lots available, that's for sure.

14. Oakley1wa

Oakley1wa Beaverton, Oregon, United States Member

+1... They make so many different styles. I have a Baby Ealge 3.7", but you can get full size too. They are solid, reliable and attractive

15. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

cz75

16. hjohnsonjr

hjohnsonjr East County Member

Not only is the 4006 metal, it is completely stainless, including the frame. None of this potmetal stuff for that one. Have had one for a long while and only replaced the recoil spring. Can't shoot it out. Lots of them available for $400 or so. You can call S&W for the first purchaser of the piece.

Also, check out the Bersa in 40SW. Excellent value. Here is the website, Thunder 9 and 40 HC Pro Series

17. U201494

U201494 Well-Known Member

Could be the best weapon in the history of man, but it is still one UAG (ugly arse gun). I'd have to drape a black cloak over it to shoot it........just my opinion.

18. odiesplace97301

odiesplace97301 silverton area Member

sig, browning, cz75, s&w all gppd find the one tat fits your hand and needs. For me it was a sig 229

19. M.Link

M.Link Guest

Those Stainless S&Ws are nice. My dad has a 4506 that he bought from a M.C. Sheriff when they went to Glocks way back when...the sheriff tried buying it back many times. Great guns and very reasonable priced.

20. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Beretta 96D's can be had for a decent price and they are a quality firearm.

IMG_1678.JPG