JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Taking Newly built evil OD and black rifle out next weekend for 1st sight in with irons, red dot will be later acquisition. My BCM Hbar upper has a 1-7 twist. I will be at a public range so not gonna be able to use my shtf preferred green tip load out. (Will use those in the boonies with a rds for sighting in.)
With the panic going on I have a real mixed bag of 55 grain from Tula, to American eagle to that Swiss brand I can't remember here on break at work.

Any AR savants with recommendations sighting this sucker in. I'll be able to grab another 50 rounds or so from a couple different places including Cabela's before I got out so I am open to suggestions from experienced MSR shooters.
Oh yeah, and my mixed bag includes 5.56 and .223 since I grabbed what was available.

My SKS, well I gonna run russky ammo with my russky gun. 1950 ca.Simonov

Brutus out

55 grain for 1:7 twist 16" to 20" barrel. since your range is prob.. not more than 200 yards,, not gonna see a whole lot of difference.
opinions may vary.................................................................................................:s0114:

I like to think of getting it on paper with one brand, say PMC .223 or what ever you had at the time, then after your satisfied with the results try, say American Eagle 5.56 and 62 gr penetrators to see what the difference entails.
This will also make you think about trying to make a cashe of what shoots best for your tactical vest for buggin out somewhere.
I have found that Independence 5.56 gives the best results as far as grouping at 100 yards so I stockpiled this brand & loaded as many 30 round magazines as my vest will hold (14, yeah heavy) but if the initial SHTF scenario goes down I'd rather have it if I need it.
Once you get to shootin that thing you may be addicted to it, as I am!!!!

Good luck and be safe out there.

Hi Brutus,
My suggestion is to use only one brand so your create for yourself some sort of baseline to judge results from. My LGS carries a supply of 55g PMC and I've had pretty good success with it. I haven't used Tula before, but have heard a lot of negative, I do have some AE , I think it runs dirtier and less accurate ( though I've never tested that theory on paper) . After the initial break in period and sight in, then rock and roll with whatever.
Have fun...keep us posted.

I have ended up with a Duke's mixture of ammo cause every time I had money and found .223 or 5.56 in stock I bought the limit of 2 packs during the panic. My barrel is 16 inch. As I said previously I plan on the 62 grain for the SHTF load out and metal mags. Looking forward to finally getting some trigger.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know next Monday.

I really miss the 80 acres we had as a kid. Dad took our little John Deer dozer (what a worthless cat that turned out to be overall) and put a nice berm in for our own 100 yard rifle range. For 300 yards I remember he went to my grandad's with his 30 40 Krag and then his 300 Win mag. One thing to note, Every year he took his Krag out he got a deer. Pity both guns disappeared with my brother's ex son in law. The Krag had a squared off penny for a front sight! and a sportsterized stock.

Brutus Out

I have ended up with a Duke's mixture of ammo cause every time I had money and found .223 or 5.56 in stock I bought the limit of 2 packs during the panic. My barrel is 16 inch. As I said previously I plan on the 62 grain for the SHTF load out and metal mags. Looking forward to finally getting some trigger.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know next Monday.

I really miss the 80 acres we had as a kid. Dad took our little John Deer dozer (what a worthless cat that turned out to be overall) and put a nice berm in for our own 100 yard rifle range. For 300 yards I remember he went to my grandad's with his 30 40 Krag and then his 300 Win mag. One thing to note, Every year he took his Krag out he got a deer. Pity both guns disappeared with my brother's ex son in law. The Krag had a squared off penny for a front sight! and a sportsterized stock.

Brutus Out

Have a good one Brutus. Keep us posted!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews