JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I could probably get away with tightening (scope caps) by feel, as I've always done in the past. I never had anything come loose. Then again, I could have been stretching the threads just the same. Looking what's available out there, prices are all over on these inch/pound tools. I need a range from 0-30 in/lb. I don't need top of the line, but I don't want bottom of the food chain either. I want something I can pass on to my son later. Help me out with some suggestions so I make a good choice!! :)

The fat wrench is my recommendation for inexpensive.
I second the wheeler fat wrench, plus it comes in a nice rounded corner little box and an assortment of drivers, albeit no kit will ever have everything you need, but it does have a small space to add a few more.
fits nicely in the range bag too

Wheeler hasn't been good to me.....well I'll just say less than impressed maybe I got a bad batch or use it wrong but all of 'em?.....most of my stuff has warped after 1 use:confused:

I use a Snap-on precision torque instrument only on all firearm needs ONLY! I tested it against several other brands, and found all to be off by almost 20%!:eek:
When it comes to precision I only trust Snap-On torque tools! They are guaranteed accurate and repeatable as long as you excersize reasonable care. If you install a $2000+ scope on a $3000 rifle, what cost for quality to ensure you are getting your money' worth!:)

Preset specs are convenient for one application. For the intended use, I like variable set-points for multiple applications. Anything plastic depending how the tool is made also rules out (or in) time in use and durability over long term. The "T" handle type I was liking up until I learned they are all pre-set spec'd individually. Because of that I passed them over. I finally spit out the koolaid and looked for other venues with similar usage in mind. I found a (NOS) Torque Screwdriver by Mac Tools. Model-TSM2-36, 1-36 in/Lbs for ($250 off the truck) $52/shipped. The only thing missing was a tip, which I ordered for $19 today.

Thanks all for your suggestions!! Hopefully the topic will help others ;)

Last Edited:
I use a Snap-on precision torque instrument only on all firearm needs ONLY! I tested it against several other brands, and found all to be off by almost 20%!:eek:
When it comes to precision I only trust Snap-On torque tools! They are guaranteed accurate and repeatable as long as you excersize reasonable care. If you install a $2000+ scope on a $3000 rifle, what cost for quality to ensure you are getting your money' worth!:)

You have a model number of what you use?

I have the Wheeler fat wrench and it has served me well. I do understand that it is not the most precision instrument and will likely upgrade to a Borka kit in the near future.

Preset specs are convenient for one application. For the intended use, I like variable set-points for multiple applications. Anything plastic depending how the tool is made also rules out (or in) time in use and durability over long term. The "T" handle type I was liking up until I learned they are all pre-set spec'd individually. Because of that I passed them over. I finally spit out the koolaid and looked for other venues with similar usage in mind. I found a (NOS) Torque Screwdriver by Mac Tools. Model-TSM2-36, 1-36 in/Lbs for ($250 off the truck) $52/shipped. The only thing missing was a tip, which I ordered for $19 today.

Thanks all for your suggestions!! Hopefully the topic will help others ;)

I am sure that is a great wrench, especially if you got it for $52. My issue would be that action screws usually require 60 in/lbs.

I have had a fat wrench from wheeler for a decade or two. I just got a new screwdriver torque wrench for a gift about a year ago and I like it much better, it is made by Vortex Optics...

Vortex Optics - Torque Wrench Mounting Kit

I tried sourcing who made it for them. I had no luck so moved onward. Just because it says Vortex doesn't mean it's good. No offense, because I have a few of their optics :)

You have a model number of what you use?

I have the Wheeler fat wrench and it has served me well. I do understand that it is not the most precision instrument and will likely upgrade to a Borka kit in the near future.
Will post it up when I get home! It only goes up to 35 inch pounds, after that, I switch to my Snap-On digital wrench with angle and torque to yeald. That one gets used mainly for engine work!:)

I must be lucky since my wheeler reads spot on to the ones I keep in my shop.
With my arthritic hands the large knob helps, My torque wrenches being inconvenient.

, I have several Mountz inc. brand in different ranges that At one time were twice yearly calibrated to meet National Bureau of standards for govt. contract work.
They read comparable with the wheeler throughout the 10 to 60, pounds inch range.
IMGP0954.JPG imgp0955.JPG IMGP0956.JPG
Of course, you'll have to take my word on them both going click at the same time. Also, the wheeler is a little more up for interpretation when reading the setting but 1/10 th's of an inch pound is not relevant for work being done

upload_2018-3-14_19-44-44.gif

I tried sourcing who made it for them. I had no luck so moved onward. Just because it says Vortex doesn't mean it's good. No offense, because I have a few of their optics :)

I don't know who makes it for them either, but it works very well and is easy to use. Don't much care for Vortex optics, have owned a few and find them lacking compared to other optics.

I don't disagree Vortex optics lack compared others. Same goes for the prices!! One Vortex product I have is a red dot. It's nothing special but it does fine on my 10/22. I just bought a PST 3155. It's my christening into higher powered scopes. We all start somewhere before we get to where we want to be ;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top