JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last I checked "Suburban Survival" probably covers topics like daily commute, traffic, navigating drive-thrus while getting breakfast, going to work, paying your mortgage, and property taxes. Suburbia really isn't a survival scenario, unless you need special information on getting out of the costco parking lot alive after 1pm on a saturday.

I'll be honest, I read patriots, it was a good enough read, but it was a rather poor survival "manual". Looking periodically at survivalblog over the last 4 years or so, it's largely been taken over by "preppers" who are looking for an audience by submitting articles. I'm sure JWR loves it, as it means he no longer has to spend a lot of time generating fresh content for the blog, but for me at least, I'm bored with it, and kinda fed up and annoyed with "preppers", mostly because I don't take advice from people who spent somewhere around 20 minutes researching and writing an article that tells me how do accomplish some critical task like water purification, or treating a family member for a gunshot wound. I've worked as an EMT in Los Angeles, I've seen a few GSWs, a lot more drug overdoses, plenty of sick kids and dying old people.

In this sense, I think preppers are the biggest roadblock to their own success in skills acquisition, lack of sufficient research, and a near vacuum of hands on experience. As a result, I would not be in any hurry to go out and buy this book, or any book dedicated to this specific subject really. Since "survival" is more of a meta-skill, make sure the things that encompass survival skills are actually taught to you by an expert on that subject. This book is 234 pages in half-fold paperback size, IIRC, one of my EMT-B textbooks was over 1500 8.5x11 pages just dedicated to triage and assessment of patients.

I met the author at one of the local gun shows (kind of a pushy dude). I flipped through the book and it seemed to me he was merely referencing a lot of info from blogging etc. so I figured I could do the same and save myself the 10 bucks. Like another reply stated, save the money and buy some food etc. and check out the blogs and print what you need for your own future reference.

I followed the link and the reviews were all One Star and stated is nothing more than basic common knowledge for anyone with any street smarts so I went no further.

Personally I would say shtf either get out when you see it coming or wait until all of the nut cases have each other off, but the longer you the greater the chances are you run into groups of people who are organized or just that a group of @$$ holes instead of one two at a time.

If there are any five star books out there I would like to red them.

I followed the link and the reviews were all One Star and stated is nothing more than basic common knowledge for anyone with any street smarts so I went no further.

Personally I would say shtf either get out when you see it coming or wait until all of the nut cases have each other off, but the longer you the greater the chances are you run into groups of people who are organized or just that a group of @$$ holes instead of one two at a time.

If there are any five star books out there I would like to red them.

A similar scenario is portrayed in this History Channel show, where the family waits and then barely gets out of the city.
History Channel Armageddon 1/9 - YouTube

Peter

A similar scenario is portrayed in this History Channel show, where the family waits and then barely gets out of the city.
History Channel Armageddon 1/9 - YouTube

Peter

Too bad that History Channel show is an exercise in "Hollywood logic" - it makes for good entertainment but that is all. Case in point is how do you get sudden mass exodus that grinds traffic to a halt, weeks after an event?

I watched the show in its entirety on the history channel, they made several valid points even for hollywood, we all know hollywood leans left but I was surprised to see them do something that would actually be more realistic than the usual hand holding, Also they do prepeat this show time to time. Importance of water, food, fire arms for self defense, having first aid supplies on hand, somethins like antibiotic cream can save a life, how gnags will take over of food warehouses, town putting barricades to keep other out.

For those who think it will be peaceful, hand in hand everyone working together type of an event I think it would be a show for them to watch, it will help them open their eyes a little.

Here is the entire video

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also recommend watching, but remember even in a amjor event like this one, who is to say they bad guys would wait until the all of the first responders with 500 miles are gather together and then detonate a nother one or two

Last edited by a moderator:
While generalizations can be made about certain events, and then specifics are pulled from those, and applied to other situations. This doesn't always make the predictions correct.

For example... packed freeways, take a look at the scenes from the gulf coast every time a hurricane approaches, it may be a 100 mile long traffic jam. It does eventually move and clear up, but getting stuck in it would be an exercise in failure. However, in a situation like the one predicted in the History Channel show, you will have people driving along, who don't know they're dead yet, who may pass behind the wheel in a long traffic jam. Going back to the hurricane traffic jam, people may run out of gas waiting for traffic to move. Could be the same result. However, in the case of a major earthquake the roads may be impassible for very different reasons, such as collapsed bridges, landslides, broken utility systems blocking the road, but there would probably not be a traffic jam, as most people will not abandon a vehicle unless absolutely necessary.

Even then, if they are out of the danger zone, they will usually replace a flat tire rather than leave the vehicle.

The thing that always strikes me as odd whenever apocalyptic fiction comes up, is there is no granular level planning that goes into any action taken. It's kinda like watching people try to stuff a whole belgian waffle in their mouth at once because they cant decide where to start otherwise. Seeing a problem, plan a response, develop contingencies, and execute. This is the decision model that must be adopted for any problem large or small now or in a post-SHTF future.

The thing that always strikes me as odd whenever apocalyptic fiction comes up, is there is no granular level planning that goes into any action taken. It's kinda like watching people try to stuff a whole belgian waffle in their mouth at once because they cant decide where to start otherwise. Seeing a problem, plan a response, develop contingencies, and execute. This is the decision model that must be adopted for any problem large or small now or in a post-SHTF future.

Well said Kind of like what the japanese did for Tsunami'sm like the British in WWII for air raids, like we use do in the 50's and 60's. The gooberment has well laid plans for the Puzzle palace personnel, but they do not have many the average Joe, Gooberment agencies has fire drills, tornado drill's and even major event recalls's.

When was the last time a commercial company had a tornado or fire drill, kind of like when the Tucker maker of the Tucker mobile came out with safety features such as seatbelts, the big three got together with members of congress and ran him out of business, siting seatbelts will only make people think the vehicles are unsafe. I argue the same is most sheeple, commercial companies and local / state municiplaities, too afraid of making their place look unsafe or people will refuse to participate so they know what to do.

When I was in themilitary we would alerts and bugout drill to everyone knew their job and the kinks could be worked out, it was amazing how fast you wake up people, recall people, load up and bug out.

I understand what you are saying, but personally beleive the sheeple are too complacent and the municplaityies are too afraid of being sued for loss of revenues and liabilities if some bonehead gets hurt doing something stupid, or the fail to inform people it is only a drill and not the real thing.

While generalizations can be made about certain events, and then specifics are pulled from those, and applied to other situations. This doesn't always make the predictions correct.

For example... packed freeways, take a look at the scenes from the gulf coast every time a hurricane approaches, it may be a 100 mile long traffic jam. It does eventually move and clear up, but getting stuck in it would be an exercise in failure. However, in a situation like the one predicted in the History Channel show, you will have people driving along, who don't know they're dead yet, who may pass behind the wheel in a long traffic jam. Going back to the hurricane traffic jam, people may run out of gas waiting for traffic to move. Could be the same result. However, in the case of a major earthquake the roads may be impassible for very different reasons, such as collapsed bridges, landslides, broken utility systems blocking the road, but there would probably not be a traffic jam, as most people will not abandon a vehicle unless absolutely necessary.

Even then, if they are out of the danger zone, they will usually replace a flat tire rather than leave the vehicle.

Yup sounds logical and linear. However if people are not acting in a logical and linear manner, what then ? Sometimes simply reacting is the only option available, otherwise one might find oneself trying to pound square pegs into round holes.

I think you guys broadened out my topic a bit too much.

If you look at the behavior of the people in the video, they go from clear objective, to complete vapor lock and back again, stumbling their way through a bad situation. One they might have avoided by thinking.

Going back to my waffle analogy... The goal is to eat a waffle, break it up into steps, first spread the butter on it, then pour syrup on it, then chop it into manageable bite-sized pieces, put piece in mouth, chew, swallow, repeat.

If you stop thinking and simply react you lose all the survival advantages our primate ancestors worked so hard to give us. To answer Hook's question, if you stop thinking and simply react, you die much faster, and usually more unpleasantly than someone who thinks.

Through that entire show, they never once stopped to look at a map, stopped to observe an obstacle, preserved a resource they had, or pressed any advantage they had.

Specifics:

After the Ambush... I could drive a long distance on a flat tire if it meant I didn't have to walk to idaho from southern california. In fact, I could drive until the car fell apart, or I found a new tire.

Road block... look at a map, find a way around, or ask about a way around, post-SHTF not shooting you is a pretty friendly gesture.

Warehouse... don't forget to take the handgun when you're going to go steal some supplies. Also, after you shoot someone, don't drop the gun, and don't forget to take the shotgun, oh and use both guns to press your surprise advantage. Don't forget to get your watch back.

Roadside... if you still had those guns, and a ton of supplies, you could have probably ambushed those guys and had more supplies.

Dog eating house... Oh look, another shotgun! and there was probably something better to drink than radiator water, like all that water you had left over from that warehouse and those looters you killed.

When you think through a potential problem before it happens, can save yourself the headaches and potential failures of "winging it".

Yeah, back to the book. I'm not fond of wasting my cash on poorly reproduced drawings from U.S. Army Field Manuals. Especially since you can down Load the FM's in PDF form for free!

Warehouse... don't forget to take the handgun when you're going to go steal some supplies. Also, after you shoot someone, don't drop the gun, and don't forget to take the shotgun, oh and use both guns to press your surprise advantage. Don't forget to get your watch back.QUOTE]

Don't forget if you have to shoot someone in a post SHTF life, whatever was on them belongs to you. Just do not make the mistake of trading it later to someone who was a pal of theirs, it could lead to a bit of a sitiation. : )

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top